X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reader2580
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

Solar plans put on hold until at least 2018 due to electrical inspector

The state of Minnesota allows homeowners to do their own electrical work on their single family home. However, the local inspector won't allow homeowners to do solar. He says the code is so hard to meet for solar that he spends too much time dealing with homeowner solar installations. He says he has the final say in my jurisdiction no matter what the state board of electricity says. There is probably an appeals process, but I would likely never pass an electrical inspection again if I did that.

I found a master electrician who has set up a LLC to do side work that would help me out, but that adds another $1,000 to the cost. I am getting up near $10,000 (before tax credit) to do a 6KW system so I decided to hold off for a year or more on my solar install. If some of what Congress is proposing for tax reform passes I will probably be out of a job so not a good time to spend $10,000. A new tax system would probably mean the end of the solar tax credit, but it also probably means prices will go down while the solar market recovers from losing the tax credit years ahead of schedule.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by reader2580
    The state of Minnesota allows homeowners to do their own electrical work on their single family home. However, the local inspector won't allow homeowners to do solar. He says the code is so hard to meet for solar that he spends too much time dealing with homeowner solar installations. He says he has the final say in my jurisdiction no matter what the state board of electricity says. There is probably an appeals process, but I would likely never pass an electrical inspection again if I did that.

I found a master electrician who has set up a LLC to do side work that would help me out, but that adds another $1,000 to the cost. I am getting up near $10,000 (before tax credit) to do a 6KW system so I decided to hold off for a year or more on my solar install. If some of what Congress is proposing for tax reform passes I will probably be out of a job so not a good time to spend $10,000. A new tax system would probably mean the end of the solar tax credit, but it also probably means prices will go down while the solar market recovers from losing the tax credit years ahead of schedule.
    Spend the $$ on conservation upgrades that don't require AHJ inspections. Depending on how tight your dwelling is, the state/age of what uses electricity in the dwelling, and your rigor at reducing your use, you might save as much as the PV would have reduced your bills with the added bonus that it'll cost less than the PV would have.

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

What a pain, feel for ya. Yeah you probably wont regret doing any 'low hanging get fruit' energy efficiency changes. How bad are the AHJ requirements for any home modifications? In my area, they say everything requires an inspection, except (and there is a very short list). I assume that contributes to why nobody pulls a permit, except the larger established companies in town doing roof and hvac, or asbestos (retro paint and popcorn cieling).

Comment

• reader2580
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2017

My electricity use in 2016 was under 5,000 KWH. There really isn't much more that can be done to the house energy wise other than remove all the drywall on the exterior walls and install spray foam insulation (not going to happen).

The house was renovated pretty much top to bottom in late 2014. Electric baseboard heat was replaced with new natural gas furnace along with central air. Windows and doors were all replaced. Attic had spray foam applied with a layer of blow in fiberglass on top. The kitchen appliances were replaced and use less energy. Siding was replaced and house wrap installed.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

My electricity use in 2016 was under 5,000 KWH. There really isn't much more that can be done to the house energy wise other than remove all the drywall on the exterior walls and install spray foam insulation (not going to happen).

The house was renovated pretty much top to bottom in late 2014. Electric baseboard heat was replaced with new natural gas furnace along with central air. Windows and doors were all replaced. Attic had spray foam applied with a layer of blow in fiberglass on top. The kitchen appliances were replaced and use less energy. Siding was replaced and house wrap installed.
          My bad. I'd forgotten that you have previously mentioned the extensive retrofits and rather impressive low usage that resulted.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

The state of Minnesota allows homeowners to do their own electrical work on their single family home. However, the local inspector won't allow homeowners to do solar. He says the code is so hard to meet for solar that he spends too much time dealing with homeowner solar installations. He says he has the final say in my jurisdiction no matter what the state board of electricity says.
            He is absolutely correct and has every right to do so. Many local jurisdictions are putting the squeeze on Solar Systems because there are to many fires resulting from poor workmanship and code compliance. Electricians and Inspectors work together frequently and get to know what each others capabilities are. The Inspectors either has confidence in an electrician or does not from experience. If the Inspectors has a high degree of confidence and respect for an EC, the Inspection is just a formality. The Inspector may not even go to the site to issue the CoO. While others he may look over closely. A DIY he has to go over with a fine tooth comb, and he already knows it will not pass the first or even the 2nd time.

The public does not understand if there is a fire caused by electrical, the insurance carrier and local FD will investigate the root cause of a fire. Unless it is an act of God, either the Electrician or City is going to be held liable for damages and injuries to all parties involved. So if you DIY, do not comply with code, the city is on the hook for damages. So to protect themselves local AHJ may not allow HO's to do electrical or plumbing work ,They require professional bonded contractors to do th ework so if something happens, the contractor is first in line to be on the hook for damages.

There are two golden rules when dealing with Inspectors and wives.

1. Inspector and Wife is always right.
            2. When Inspector or Wife is in error, refer to rule 1.

Play by those rules and you will win. Otherwise you are doomed and going to loose a lot of money and time until you comply and play by the rules.
            Last edited by Sunking; 02-26-2017, 01:58 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• reader2580
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2017

I wired an entire house back in 2001 and passed every inspection first time. I finished the basement and a bonus room and also passed the inspections no problem. One time the inspector spent less than 30 seconds looking at my rough-in and said it looks like you know what you are doing and left. My current house I rewired over 50% of the house and fixed many dangerous things like numerous live cut off wires and passed on first inspection again. I installed a standby generator last year which included a transfer switch and moving a dozen circuits to a sub panel. I passed again on first inspection.

I'm not mad at the inspector. It will probably be a good thing to wait a year. Maybe I'll never end up doing solar if the tax credit goes away and solar prices don't come down.

Comment

• Dsspro
                • Mar 2017

What city are you in?

Comment

• reader2580
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Dsspro
                  What city are you in?
                  Ham Lake, MN. The same inspector does electrical inspections for about a dozen different cities.

Comment

• Dsspro
                    • Mar 2017

spoke with inspector, updated post
                    Last edited by Dsspro; 03-23-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Dsspro
                      • Mar 2017

Small world, I am just a few miles away and grew up in Ham Lake.
                      Last edited by Dsspro; 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• reader2580
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2017

I changed my mind on this project and ended ordering up the panels and inverters about a month ago.

A few weeks ago I remembered that a guy I volunteer with every year is an electrician who does solar. I talked to him and he spent about 2 hours at my house talking to me about my situation two weekends ago. He put me in touch with an another electrical contractor he knows. The other contractor is going to install my system for free because he wants his company to start doing solar. (The first guy is going to check up on the work.) This satisfies the need to have an electrical contractor pull the permit and it means I don't spend two weekends or more installing the system.

I am presently running a new underground service to my garage, but that should be done this weekend I hope. I discovered the jokers who ran the original service used 1/0 aluminum, but they cut off most of the strands to get it to fit into the breaker!

Comment

• Jest Waitn
                          • Mar 2017

I changed my mind on this project and ended ordering up the panels and inverters about a month ago.

A few weeks ago I remembered that a guy I volunteer with every year is an electrician who does solar. I talked to him and he spent about 2 hours at my house talking to me about my situation two weekends ago. He put me in touch with an another electrical contractor he knows. The other contractor is going to install my system for free because he wants his company to start doing solar. (The first guy is going to check up on the work.) This satisfies the need to have an electrical contractor pull the permit and it means I don't spend two weekends or more installing the system.

I am presently running a new underground service to my garage, but that should be done this weekend I hope. I discovered the jokers who ran the original service used 1/0 aluminum, but they cut off most of the strands to get it to fit into the breaker!
                          jokers abound, don't they?

Comment

• drbob
                            • Mar 2017

Your electrical inspector can ruin your day, but possibly save your life. I have been an electrician in Wisconsin for 40 years and have fixed many shoddy jobs in my lifetime.

Comment

• Jest Waitn
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by drbob
                              Your electrical inspector can ruin your day, but possibly save your life. I have been an electrician in Wisconsin for 40 years and have fixed many shoddy jobs in my lifetime.
                              exactly. better to have fall behind schedule than to do something 'wrong'. there is NO substitute for 'quality work'.

Comment

Working...