Need Help Deciding In Southern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Deciding In Southern California

Hello everyone. I have 2 quotes and wanted to get everyone's opinion on which one I should go with.

Trina 280 panels mono 60 cell - 22
    Enphase micro inverter
    6.16 kW - 8887 kWh (year 1)
    $22.5k (before FTC)

Hanwha Q-Cells 305 - 20
    Enphase S280-60 micro inverter
    6.1kw - 9135 kWh (year 1)
    $23.2k (before FTC)

Both quotes are using financing at 2.99% over 12 years.

2nd quote can also be made a little smaller by going with 1 less panel. Price on both are so close that I am not worried about price difference. I am more concerned with choosing the better quality equipment. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I should also include that both prices include upgrading the electrical panel. Also, the roof of the home is fairly flat. Not sure if that matters.

Comment

Hello sorz21 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. In my opinion both those panels are tier 1 panels and will perform equally as well, mico inverters have their place if shade or roof mounting location makes string sizes difficult. I think you need to pay close attention to the quality of the installer you choose. You can find / read about local solar installers at www.solarreviews.com and www.solar-estimate.org

We had a question earlier today where a person had an issue with a SMA inverter and called the manufacturer to ask about it to be told they cant really get into electrical diagnosis with anyone who is not qualified ( sparky, solar designer) so you need to first contact your installer they will sort the issue out for you. So to me the most important factor after you know you have decent equipment is to know you have a good solar install company who will be around for the long haul.

On this subject there was a post the other day where the OP was going through this solar process and wondering about installers, they seemed to think the biggest names would be around the longest. When net metering was dismantled in Arizona the biggest player was gone in quicker than you can blink ....a good local installer who will be there for the long haul is what you want

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
        Hello sorz21 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. In my opinion both those panels are tier 1 panels and will perform equally as well, mico inverters have their place if shade or roof mounting location makes string sizes difficult. I think you need to pay close attention to the quality of the installer you choose. You can find / read about local solar installers at www.solarreviews.com and www.solar-estimate.org

We had a question earlier today where a person had an issue with a SMA inverter and called the manufacturer to ask about it to be told they cant really get into electrical diagnosis with anyone who is not qualified ( sparky, solar designer) so you need to first contact your installer they will sort the issue out for you. So to me the most important factor after you know you have decent equipment is to know you have a good solar install company who will be around for he long haul.

On this subject there was a post the other day where the OP was going through this solar process and wondering about installers, they seemed to think the biggest names would be around the longest. When net metering was dismantled in Arizona the biggest player was gone in quicker than you can blink ....a good local installer who will be there for the long haul is what you want
        That was Nevada and the company was SolarCity, but the sense was the same. Choose your installer with at least as much care as the equipment,and expect that without other ways to make a living, any solar vendor may well go the same way as net metering.

Comment

Thank you Solar Pete. I had seen some of your responses and was hoping you would reply to my post. The top quote initially included a string inverter. Would there be some type of benefit (cost or performance) going with a string or micro inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

That was Nevada and the company was SolarCity, but the sense was the same. Choose your installer with at least as much care as the equipment,and expect that without other ways to make a living, any solar vendor may well go the same way as net metering.
            Whoops my bad, I stand corrected

Comment

I don't have any issues with shade and I believe the roof has plenty of space.

Comment

Originally posted by sorz21 View Post
                Thank you Solar Pete. I had seen some of your responses and was hoping you would reply to my post. The top quote initially included a string inverter. Would there be some type of benefit (cost or performance) going with a string or micro inverter?
                Opinions on that vary a lot. String inverters are my favorite because they are basically old proven tech v's new unproven tech, I like that if there is an issue its on the ground level easy to repair or replace. We only use micro's if there is significant shade issues or the weird roof shape doesn't allow for proper strings (numbers of panels wired to each other) or the customer wants them because of the pretty monitoring abilities that you dont look at after the first week (and are constant pain ). Good luck with it, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post

Opinions on that vary a lot. String inverters are my favorite because they are basically old proven tech v's new unproven tech, I like that if there is an issue its on the ground level easy to repair or replace. We only use micro's if there is significant shade issues or the weird roof shape doesn't allow for proper strings (numbers of panels wired to each other) or the customer wants them because of the pretty monitoring abilities that you dont look at after the first week (and are constant pain ). Good luck with it, cheers.
                  pretty much what I would say too.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                  X