X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOU plan change in CA

I didn't find a thread on this when I just ran a quick search, so please forgive the duplication if it has already been covered.

Just under a month ago, the CPUC released decision 17-01-006, providing the guidelines by which TOU rates and periods may be adjusted. It is a good read for those interested, and a few points caught my attention:

1) New TOU plans will generally be effective for at least 5 years, with the intention of updating them every other GRC cycle (each cycle currently runs about 3 years). There is an out clause by which a TOU plan that can be shown to be behaving outside of a forecasted deadband can be modified sooner.

2) Any existing residential solar customer who opts into a TOU plan by July 31, 2017, will have 5 years of grandfathering on their rate plan and periods. (It is noted that new customers taking TOU service under NEM 2.0 are already protected for 5 years). Non-residential systems get 10 years of grandfathering.

3) The grandfathering does not offer any protection on the actual rate being charged, just the plan structure and times that define each period.

In one section of the discussion it is also stated:

Although it is clear that customer education and awareness campaigns must be expanded, we believe that at this time there is sufficient information available about changing rates for customers to consider these changes when making investment decisions.
    It looks clear to me that some very big changes to the TOU periods are not far from approval.

Link to the full decision:
    http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDoc.../172782737.PDF
    Last edited by sensij; 02-17-2017, 05:17 AM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Welcome back!

Comment

Originally posted by cebury View Post
      Welcome back!
      Thanks! I don't know how active I can be, but I'm trying hard to get 350 kW PV carport approved where I work in Poway. That gives me a good excuse to spend some time in the forum again.

Comment

Howdy stranger, good to see ya, cheers. Thanks for the info

Comment

Ugh, on closer read, I see that the initial interconnect application must have been filed by Jan 31, 2017. July 31, 2017 is just the 6 month grace period allowed for the interconnect to be completed

System Eligibility:
          A system for which (i) an initial interconnection application is filed no later than January 31, 2017 and (ii) the interconnection applications, including final building inspection, is completed at any time prior to the Grace Period End Date is eligible.

The system must be designed to offset at least 15% of the customer's current annual load.
          That January deadline is an add-in that was not specified in the proposed decision, which had suggested June 30, 2017 would be the deadline as long as the interconnect file was completed by then. Ouch. There were less than two weeks to act on this knowledge.
          Last edited by sensij; 02-17-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Where you been boy ?? Nice to see ya'. Welcome back.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
              Ugh, on closer read, I see that the initial interconnect application must have been filed by Jan 31, 2017. July 31, 2017 is just the 6 month grace period allowed for the interconnect to be completed

That January deadline is an add-in that was not specified in the proposed decision, which had suggested June 30, 2017 would be the deadline as long as the interconnect file was completed by then. Ouch. There were less than two weeks to act on this knowledge.
              Better get smokin'. Need any other assistance that would close up a stray end/2 besides what you've already posted ? I see some possible asses/elbows shuffling around in your near future.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

I'd call & try to find someone in knowledge & authority at the CPUC and look for some wiggle room/time.

Add: I'm reviewing decision. More later if I find any nuggets.
                Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Ok I read that document - it hurt my head. Here is my summary (please correct me if I got it wrong).
                  • TOU times are expected to shift to non-solar generation hours - 5 hours from existing TOU times is given as the example but see the next point.
                  • Each PoCo can sets its own TOU times based on the parameters in that document.
                  • TOU times can be changed every 5 years with a 3 year lead time notification for existing TOU customers (I'm not sure if I read that lead time section correctly)
                  • Existing systems are grandfathered into existing TOU times for 5 years (residential) and 10 years (commercial). These systems must meet 15% of power needs by solar.
                  • New systems may also be grandfathered if the initial interconnect application was filed by Jan 31, 2017 - that date has passed. Those systems have until either July 31 or Dec 31 (schools only) to finish the interconnection. It is my understanding that you must have had your final inspection prior to filing the interconnection application.

Comment

Generally in agreement w/Tyab's comments. I'd add, that it may be wise to keep in mind that this decision deals only with T.O.U. time schedules and not rates within those time periods or eligibility beyond the grandfathering issues. That is, it provides a framework for how the IOU's will be allowed to shift times around with respect to T.O.U. time periods. What they will be allowed to charge within those time periods is not part of this decision.

I'd also agree w/Sensij's thinking that it appears applications for interconnection needed to be filed by 01/31/2017 to slip under the grace period window for time period grandfathering. However, I'd sure seek other and more informed opinion on that one. Also, does the proposed solar PV system offset at least 15 % of annual demand ?

Comment

Ok, i think we are getting more or less the same take-aways. Just to make clear, this decision mostly deals with systems that are already installed under NEM 1.0. New systems that are installed under NEM 2.0 will get 5 years of TOU plan security (with no promises regarding the rates within the plan), as specified in the net metering decision last year.

Comment

Working...
                      X