X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by barron
    Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that the installer that I selected (decided on Panasonic & SMA) might have developed some heart burn over all the things promised in the bid. They seem to taking issue with the lapped felt / bibbing method and really want to go back to 3 course tar only. If they continue to seem apprehensive about it all, I'll just go with the other reputable installer.
    Don't be rushed into anything tor rush yourself.

With your newfound knowledge and information gleaned from here and the book, you're in the catbird seat to get more quotes. You can also have the remaining vendor rebid based on new information you provide. There is also and still the idea of asking the reasons why the offending vendor is balking, or some negotiating something as long as you know what you want, why you want it, and if vendor alternatives are truly equal or better, particularly for roof integrity.

Just get everything in writing. - all of it - and don't add bells/whistles you don't need. Solar PV is an appliance, not a lifestyle.

I'd also keep in mind to try and make sure your requests for quote are as complete as you can make them. That's one of the professional ways to treat vendors - by not wasting their time with what they may well and legitimately see as endless requotes. A little of that is fine. Too much of that and at some point, they may walk away or "bid you out" - raise the price of the requested change - that's one way of politely turning away business they see as not worth the trouble, or pricing contract changes so high it becomes worth the PITA factor for them. Either way, the customer gets the shaft - mostly from their own unpreparedness. Also, and for a lot of other reasons, things added after contract signing have a pernicious way of costing WAY more than if part of an original bid package. One way some businesses make money is to bid cheap on a job and make money on contract revisions/changes.

You are now in a better position to match your wants to your needs, specify the needs to vendors in a more complete way, get better quotes and a better job.

Comment

• barron
      • Feb 2017

JPM, no rush at all. It was nothing that I sprung on them that caused the consternation. The bibbing (felt overlap method) is what did it. It was in fact part of my initial request to every installer, and many were uneasy with it as it takes far more time. However, these folks were all for it until contract signing time when that language disappeared and were not willing to put it in the contract for every penetration as agreed (only for first three rows), and as such I have passed on that bid.

I am however about to pull the trigger with another company all together that installed at a close family friend's house a couple years ago. They're doing the same system (Panasonic 330's, SMA 5000TL with SPS, bibbing on all penetration points, Quick PV mounts, and Unirac racking, same warranty etc..) They are family owned, local, and been around solely as a solar installer since 1999). System is 5.28kW and worked out to $17,600 or $3.33 per watt.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

JPM, no rush at all. It was nothing that I sprung on them that caused the consternation. The bibbing (felt overlap method) is what did it. It was in fact part of my initial request to every installer, and many were uneasy with it as it takes far more time. However, these folks were all for it until contract signing time when that language disappeared and were not willing to put it in the contract for every penetration as agreed (only for first three rows), and as such I have passed on that bid.

I am however about to pull the trigger with another company all together that installed at a close family friend's house a couple years ago. They're doing the same system (Panasonic 330's, SMA 5000TL with SPS, bibbing on all penetration points, Quick PV mounts, and Unirac racking, same warranty etc..) They are family owned, local, and been around solely as a solar installer since 1999). System is 5.28kW and worked out to $17,600 or $3.33 per watt.
        Thanx for the return info. Last question: Who's the vendor ?

Good luck.

Add: Your 02/22/17, 9:40 P.M. post mentioned that you had problems finding quotes in the $3.25 - $3.60 range. What changed ? Did you pass on the electrical panel upgrade ?
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM. Reason: Added add.

Comment

• barron
          • Feb 2017

We're still doing the main panel upgrade as before. Equipment wise and installation method are duplicate and in their presented contract. Only decision is to go with 5.28kW or a 5.94kW system as there was actually more room once actually measured out this morning. The vendor claims to have entered into a higher volume contract with Panasonic and thus received a more substantial price break.

Am I allowed to post vendor name on this forum ?

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Yes, and you can provide a link to the installer's www.solarreviews.com page, if they have one.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

We're still doing the main panel upgrade as before. Equipment wise and installation method are duplicate and in their presented contract. Only decision is to go with 5.28kW or a 5.94kW system as there was actually more room once actually measured out this morning. The vendor claims to have entered into a higher volume contract with Panasonic and thus received a more substantial price break.

Take a shot and see what happens. If listed on Solarreviews.com. it'll go through. Besides, if the vendor is reputable, at that price w/panel work included, consider it a public service.

As for reasons for price reduction, I'd suggest asking/pricing/negotiating did more than any volume discount B.S. It's just business.

Sometimes cramming as many panels as physically possible can cause problems w/ service if needed down the road. Also, be sure of conformance for fire setbacks.

Take your time. "Measure twice - cut once".

Good luck.

Comment

• barron
                • Feb 2017

JPM, yes. The price break was only part. They initially offered at 3.42 p/w I believe it was, and from there we went back and forth for a couple days. The manager made me aware a week ago that the price would come down some the next week and I offered all cash / no financing which made it a little cheaper as well. They are reputable, I went and looked at my friend's house that they did and the work is well done. Asked for references, turned out I knew a couple of those people as well. All were happy.

As as far as fitment, the additional panels would all still meet the set back requirements by my city. They are not reviewed on solar reviews website, but I did at least check yelp where they have 62 reviews and a 5 out of 5 star average rating. (Infinity Solar. Orange CA)

Comment

• barron
                  • Feb 2017

The only change other than 16 vs 18 panels is that they said I'd have to move to the 6,000 series SMA inverter if I went the 18 panel route (5940 kW) as it would cause 325 watts worth of clipping on a peak production day with a 5,000tl inverter. If we do the 16 panels (5,280) they recommend staying with the 5,000tl series to work the inverter.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

JPM, yes. The price break was only part. They initially offered at 3.42 p/w I believe it was, and from there we went back and forth for a couple days. The manager made me aware a week ago that the price would come down some the next week and I offered all cash / no financing which made it a little cheaper as well. They are reputable, I went and looked at my friend's house that they did and the work is well done. Asked for references, turned out I knew a couple of those people as well. All were happy.

As as far as fitment, the additional panels would all still meet the set back requirements by my city. They are not reviewed on solar reviews website, but I did at least check yelp where they have 62 reviews and a 5 out of 5 star average rating. (Infinity Solar. Orange CA)
                    Thank you.

Comment

Working...