X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by reader2580
    I talked to the fire chief and he said so long as I meet code the fire department doesn't have any specific requirements for a PV solar system.

He also said they won't pull the meter. They will turn off the main breaker if they can get to it. They call the power company to pull the meter if needed. (How long would that take if the house is on fire?)
    Sounds like the fire dept may just keep the fire from spreading from the structure while waiting for the POCO.

Sort of makes me want to install a disconnect outside for them to throw.

Comment

• reader2580
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Sounds like the fire dept may just keep the fire from spreading from the structure while waiting for the POCO.

Sort of makes me want to install a disconnect outside for them to throw.
      To be clear, this has nothing to do with solar PV. They won't pull the meter for any fire. The chief says it is too dangerous for them to pull the meter.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by reader2580

To be clear, this has nothing to do with solar PV. They won't pull the meter for any fire. The chief says it is too dangerous for them to pull the meter.
        Ok. Still seems strange to me. IMO most fire dept personnel will not enter a burning building that is still electrically energized and can't get to the main breaker due to the fire. They then usually make the decision not to put water on the fire but just to keep it from spreading.

But in your case the Chief makes the rules and if you abide by them you are probably ok.

Comment

Working...