X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck between two proposals

I have two well reviewed (on solarreview.com, Yelp, Angie's List, Home Advisor), seemingly honest, and lower cost solar contractors and I'd like some input as to which system I should decide on:

Contractor 1 option 1:
    4.76 kW DC
    17 Hanwha Q-Cells 280 Q.Plus
    1 SolarEdge SE5000A
    $15,000 or $3.15 per watt

Contractor 1 option 2:
    4.64kW DC
    16 SolarWorld 290 Mono
    1 SolarEdge SE5000A
    $15,500 or $3.34 per watt

Contractor 2:
    4.56kW DC
    16 SolarWorld 285
    16 Enphase M250
    $14,960 or $3.28 per watt

Contractor 1 will add a 240V outlet for an EVSE in the garage (there's already a 240V for the dryer), and they will remove and reinstall the solar array when I have the house reconstructed (if they are still around in 5-10 years). I'm inclined to go with Contractor 1 option 1. Both contractors can start within 20 days and expect the install to take 2-3 days.

Get your roof inspected and serviced. Fixing the roof under an array is a real PITA In terms of time/treasure. Give the roof under the array a good chance of lasting as long as the array probably will. Cheap insurance.You will not regret it.

Comment

Seems like you've done the basic evaluation between the two, and prices are within reasonanle range. You probably just need to go with your gut on 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        Get your roof inspected and serviced. Fixing the roof under an array is a real PITA In terms of time/treasure. Give the roof under the array a good chance of lasting as long as the array probably will. Cheap insurance.You will not regret it.
        We had a roofer estimate the roof to last another 10-15 years; other solar contractors have given similar estimates. The removal and reinstallation will occur if/when we take the house down to the studs for an extensive remodel. The house is 60 years old and has been butchered by previous owners so starting over makes a lot of sense. We know the foundation is secured after having 32 push piers and 6 helical piers installed last year. Solar is on the menu for this year and going with Contractor 1 gives me a little flexibility in the future, again if the company is still around.

Comment

Originally posted by cebury View Post
          Seems like you've done the basic evaluation between the two, and prices are within reasonanle range. You probably just need to go with your gut on 1st.
          I guess you're right. Both contractors have very positive reviews and are so close in price. I guess what I was trolling for was whether or not someone would caution me away from Hanwha Q-Cells and the SolarEdge inverter. The 280watt series isn't the more efficient, but it seems like the most cost-effective at this time and I'm completely fine with that as I have plenty of roof space for potentially more panels.

Comment

You might try a new post titled with Hanwa vs Solarworld panels asking about company strength or opinions from the installers who lurk here. That'd attract a different crowd of responders than Help Quote 1 vs 2.

The Solaredge pros and cons are listed here many times, but wish it were a sticky.

If anything solaredge jhas strengthened as a company vs Enphase, it's competitor. But that doesn't prevent the newer to market competitors from taking criticsl market share over the coming years.

Comment

Working...
            X