X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar System Assistance

Hi Guys

First post, newbie and not very Electrically qualified LOL. Thus please take it easy on me and bear with me this massive wall of text. I would really like to ask everyone/anyone with knowledge, especially sun king, Mike90250 , if they are still around for help/assistance.

This is my first Solar Powered project, and I'm currently situated in South Africa (This is to help you understand how much Solar Power I can harvest.)

My list of Items I would like to fully run from a Solar Powered System is as follow :

Bathroom 6.5W x 2H = 13WH
    Main bedroom 6.5W x 4H x 2Q = 52WH
    Bathroom 6.5W x 12H = 78WH
    Study 6.5W x 2H = 13WH
    Babyroom 6.5W x 3H = 19.5WH
    Tv room 6.5W x 3H = 19.5WH
    Outside light 6.5W x 24H = 156WH
    Kitchen 34W x 6H = 204WH

Router 5W x 24H = 120WH

Screen 40W x 5H = 200WH

Pi 5W x 24H x 2Q = 240WH

Total = 1115WH + 200W (Fluctuation, or miscalculation) per Day

All of these appliance's are running off the Mains, thus on 220/230V (South African Wall plug Voltage).

These are the total Amount of Items that I would like to run on a daily bases, and the estimations listed above are on the more liberal side of things.

I have 1 of the following Solar Panels, and are in the process of procuring another one, my Main Goal, is to have a 48Volt system in place at the end of the day.

http://www.sustainable.co.za/canadia...lar-panel.html

The Specs are as follow :

Easy Peazy

Panel Wattage = 600 watts
    24 Volt Battery = 270 AH
    MPPT Charge Controller = 30 amps

Use 3-200 watt panels wired in series, and 4 6-Volt 250 to 300 AH batteries wired in series. Good to go.

EDIT NOTE:

Just seen the panel you have. Get one more unit and wire it in series to make 615 watts.
    Last edited by Sunking; 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Easy Peazy

Panel Wattage = 600 watts
      24 Volt Battery = 270 AH
      MPPT Charge Controller = 30 amps

Use 3-200 watt panels wired in series, and 4 6-Volt 250 to 300 AH batteries wired in series. Good to go.

EDIT NOTE:

Just seen the panel you have. Get one more unit and wire it in series to make 615 watts.

Hi Sun, thank you so much for answering, I only see now, that only a few lines of the massive wall of china that I posted was placed! LOL.

I will provide the other half of china just now. Please see what Im currently contemplating and let me know, which mental assylum I need to book myself in LOL.

Thanx a mill!

Comment

So, lets start again..... LOL

Hi Guys

First post, newbie and not very Electrically qualified LOL. Thus please take it easy on me and bear with me this massive wall of text. I would really like to ask everyone/anyone with knowledge, especially sun king, Mike90250 , if they are still around for help/assistance.

This is my first Solar Powered project, and Im currently situated in South Africa (This is to help you understand how much Solar Power I can harvest.)

My list of Items I would like to fully run from a Solar Powered System is as follow :

Bathroom 6.5W x 2H = 13WH
        Main bedroom 6.5W x 4H x 2Q = 52WH
        Bathroom 6.5W x 12H = 78WH
        Study 6.5W x 2H = 13WH
        Babyroom 6.5W x 3H = 19.5WH
        Tv room 6.5W x 3H = 19.5WH
        Outside light 6.5W x 24H = 156WH
        Kitchen 34W x 6H = 204WH

Router 5W x 24H = 120WH

Screen 40W x 5H = 200WH

Pi 5W x 24H x 2Q = 240WH

Total = 1115WH + 200W (Fluctuation, or miscalculation) per Day

All of these applainces are running off the Mains, thus on 220/230V (South African Wall plug Voltage).

These are the total Ammount of Items that I would like to run on a daily bases, and the estimations listed above are on the more liberal side of things.

I have 1 of the following Solar Panels, and are in the process of procuring another one, my Main Goal, is to have a 48Volt system in place at the end of the day.

http://www.sustainable.co.za/canadian-solar-cs6x-315p-315w-solar-panel.html

Comment

The Specs are as follow :

Comment

Ok something is going seriously wrong.

I cant post 99% of the things I typed.

Comment

Originally posted by JohanNT View Post

Put it in a wordpad text document, the copy and paste. The Forum Software sucks and has a lot of BUGS.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Put it in a wordpad text document, the copy and paste. The Forum Software sucks and has a lot of BUGS.

Mwhuahahhahahhaa. I have had been smart!!!!

Loaded to drop box and posting a link.

Let me know once you have read the book, about the opinions LOLz

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w02icrjli9...Setup.txt?dl=0

Thanx man!

Comment

I honestly tried to put all the info and details regarding the setup that I can in there.

If I violate any forum rules, please apply forgiveness

Thanx

Comment

Your post number 4 was temporarily held for moderator approval because of the link it contained.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

Your post number 4 was temporarily held for moderator approval because of the link it contained.
                      Thank you inetdog.

Hopefully the Dropbox link I provided, would do the trick.

Thanx for the help guys!

Comment

Hopefully the Dropbox link I provided, would do the trick.
                        Yep, the dropbox link works.

my Main Goal, is to have a 48Volt system in place at the end of the day.
                        The 48 volt system is a means to an end, though. If I may ask,
                        what's the goal behind the goal?

You're in South Africa,
                        I hear they turn the power off for a couple hours fairly
                        frequently; are you trying to avoid that disruption?
                        How often are the outages, and how long do they last?

You also ask if you can use surplus power for the
                        rest of the house. Is that to save money?

Good luck with your project!

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post

Yep, the dropbox link works.

The 48 volt system is a means to an end, though. If I may ask,
                          what's the goal behind the goal?

You're in South Africa,
                          I hear they turn the power off for a couple hours fairly
                          frequently; are you trying to avoid that disruption?
                          How often are the outages, and how long do they last?

You also ask if you can use surplus power for the
                          rest of the house. Is that to save money?

Good luck with your project!
                          Hi DanKegel

Thank you for responding and your feedback. That is correct in your statement regarding our local power provider. They have the tendency to cause unforeseen and sometimes foreseen power cuts.

Ok, the goal of the game is the following:

I have not had any experience with solar power before and does not know "if" and how it would work to convert my whole household system on to solar, the impact and effect.
                          Thus I started with this little project in order to ensure that the basic needs (my household lights) are catered for that I would have basically 24/7 up time with such a system. The outages have had a massive impact on my decision. We have two little kiddies, and when there is an outage it can range any thing from 2 - 4 hours. We at a few stage had an outage for 3 - 4 days. You can imagine if you have a little baby crying for milk at 1 in the morning and its pitch dark with no ability to boil the kettle or work the gas stove. and searching for lights LOL.
                          So I decided to start with this, as you will see in my link, I mention that I want to power basically all the lights and their usage. that is my primary concern. After I decide and see that this project is a working success, I will embark and invest more rigorously to a separate and additional setup purely for certain wall plugs to power "other" items.

So, this is like a guinea pig project, however I want it to be more something big and practical that would for full a need that I have. In the odd event, that I do not utilize the full capacity of the Solar Array, I wanted to know what is the equipment and how one would go about in order to feed the remaining power in conjunction with the power grids power to the rest of my appliances, firstly to ease the load, and secondly to reduce the cost. As you are probably aware, we do not have the ability yet to provide power back to the National Power Provider, thus it would go to waste.

Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by JohanNT; 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM. Reason: Horrid Typos'

Comment

Hi Guys,

Any assistance or feedback on the link would be highly appreciated.

Thanx

Comment

Just a point I would like to make. When calculating the watt hour output of a pv system some people use the DC wh generated by the panels instead of the AC power used by the customer to see what want to off set.

There could be up to a 15% loss in the DC to AC conversion. So a DC system that generates 3600wh may only get you 3000 to 3400wh.

Comment

Working...
                              X