X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve C
    • Jul 2015

Just a Lucky Guess?

So I have just received my first annual true-up bill. $0.27. My understanding was I wanted to install a system to be as close to zero as possible. Am I correct in this assessment or is there something else I am failing to consider. I thinking I am lucky as I was only in the house for 5 months before buying the system and therefore didn't have a proper 12 months of energy use history to use as a guide.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Steve C
    So I have just received my first annual true-up bill. $0.27. My understanding was I wanted to install a system to be as close to zero as possible. Am I correct in this assessment or is there something else I am failing to consider. I thinking I am lucky as I was only in the house for 5 months before buying the system and therefore didn't have a proper 12 months of energy use history to use as a guide.
    Luck, its extent, and its origins are a matter of opinion. Sometimes, through knowledge gained, some work and a bit of planning, it's possible to make some of your own luck and influence the probability of a favorable outcome - but no promises. I'd suggest being that close is not likely to be an annual event unless you force it to get close by adjusting your usage.

Without adjusting/tweaking usage, next year will, in all likelihood, have a different trueup amount and be different if for no other reasons than the weather next year, including how much the sun shines, will not be the same as the year just ended, and your usage will be different, not to mention POCO rates and tariff structure will most likely be different next year than this year - just as much BTW - as rates and tariff structure before your PV were different than after.

An array located in a region that has a reasonably stable climate with a fair amount of sunshine - think SW U.S. - will usually have less year/year variation (maybe +/- 5% or so, or more) in system production than an array located in regions with more yearly climatic variation - think NE/upper Midwest U.S. - where more year/year variation in annual production - maybe +/- 10 % or so may be more common.

The +/- 10 % or so that PVWatts suggests for yearly variation for that model is mostly the result of weather variation, and, even if the model user inputs are reasonable representations of reality, that's still a rather soft number.

Hard to quantify. Impossible to predict with any more accuracy than it's possible to predict next year's weather, or what lifestyle changes will do to usage.

So, more a lucky guess ? Probably, depending.

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Probably, but If you post the trueup page we can tell you. It is possible the system is oversized, and you could've used more kwh without much adjustment, even if your trueup is only $1. With monthly minimums, energy charges, and net producer rates, it's possible the numbers could end up juat oaying the tax on trueup. That is how my trueup ended.

Comment

• Steve C
        • Jul 2015

Thanks guys for the responses.

I am on PG&E in N.Cal.

If I knew how to post a screenshot of my true-up bill, I would do so. I can only see a PDF which I can't redact personal info.

@JPM... I understand what you are saying about the varying influences that would effect (or is it affect) the amount of energy produced by my sa and in kind effect my true-up bill. While luck did play some part, I did nothing more to change my usage habits than constantly telling my wife she does not need three TV's, and God only knows how many lights, on when she is the only one home. "But honey, we have solar now" is a common response. I choose to limit the number battles I know I will NEVER win. I am learning.

@cebury...I understand that I may have oversized the system. I did so with the intention of adding a hot tub (elec). That being said, are you saying that I may still add the tub and possibly only see a slight (or maybe none) increase in my annual true-up? Some time ago I posted here an inquiry about the cost oversizing/overproducing.
        Last edited by Steve C; 01-04-2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Thanks guys for the responses.

@JPM... I understand what you are saying about the varying influences that would effect (or is it affect)
          You're welcome. I'd probably say "affect" as used as an active verb in the sense that the weather affects system output. But, I suppose "effect" (a noun) could be just as clear a meaning in the sense of " the weather has an effect on annual system output". I suppose it depends on sentence construction and preference to some extent. I'd favor a simpler, shorter and more clear meaning given my druthers, as in: Weather affects system output". But, opinions vary.

Reminds me of the linguistic usage conundrum Daniel Webster was in on his death bed when he (allegedly) said the following: "I am going to die, or, I am about to die. Either is correct."

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

You can affect something by changing it or changing its environment.
            You effect something by making it happen, bringing it about.
            Things may have effects, which they bring about, but changes to things are not affects!
            Affect, the noun is specialized word used in describing behavior and interaction in psychiatry. Not used at all (properly that is) in everyday speech unless you are in the medical profession.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Steve C
              • Jul 2015

When I saw there were two new responses to my inquiry, I suppose I was expecting something slightly different. However, Both responses had quite the effect ( as it brought about a smile) on my mood at the time... and that is much appreciated. Or, is it Affect as it CHANGED my mood??? Great, now I'm smiling and confused as to whether or not I should get a hot tub!

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

When I saw there were two new responses to my inquiry, I suppose I was expecting something slightly different. However, Both responses had quite the effect ( as it brought about a smile) on my mood at the time... and that is much appreciated. Or, is it Affect as it CHANGED my mood??? Great, now I'm smiling and confused as to whether or not I should get a hot tub!
                The responses could have changed your affect (not produced an affect)

: the conscious subjective aspect of an emotion considered apart from bodily changes; also : a set of observable manifestations of a subjectively experienced emotion <patients showed perfectly normal reactions and affects - Oliver Sacks>
                The noun pronunciation is "af-fect" with uniform accent or a stressed first syllable. The verb is pronounced with the accent on the second syllable.
                Last edited by inetdog; 01-04-2017, 11:06 PM.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...