Solarcity Panels in New Jersey and SREC Registration Deadlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solarcity Panels in New Jersey and SREC Registration Deadlines

I am in the process getting a 4.7 to 5 KWh Solar Panel Array in NJ through SolarCity which will cover 85% of my Electricity needs. I chose the 10-year loan option(Not lease) since I want to own the tax credits and SRECs which is the only reason why this project will make financial sense. I already had the site survey and I am waiting for the final system design however I have the following questions and I haven't got a response yet.

1) Solarcity quoted the system with 18 240Watt panels but they said that they could give me the option with the newer 310 Watt LG Panels. Are the LGs the standard panels used by solarcity or this was a Sales pitch to get me into getting the system?

2) My current 100Amp electrical Panel is pretty maxed out except 2 Blank spots. However I requested to be considered for the 200Amp Upgrade since I would like to have the option for a future Car charger and/or Grid battery. I was was told that solarcity could upgrade my panel to 200Amp with minimum cost to me. Does anyone have any experience with that?

3) Even though the sales person made a reference of the SREC ownership I am assuming that somebody from Solarcity will provide me with some assistance with the required Docs (Site Map) and SREC Registration signatures. One line that seemed to bother me is a line called "SREC Upfront for Financed Systems" which will be credited to me with the built of the system. Does this mean that Solarcity will be able to benefit with the SREC Credits and just give me a portion upfront? I had exclusively told them that I will be signing only if I owned then Tax Credits.

4) On the good side is that one of the VPs for Solarcity lives in my town and he stopped by to introduce himself.

5) The registration process for the NJ SREC Program seems to be a bit tricky since they require me to register the project within 10 working days when the contract will be last signed. Does this mean that this time will be counting after my design proposal is signed? Any advice on this?

6) On a sidenote it seems that the NJ SREC Program requires me to produce Electricity up to my yearly consumption. Does this mean that If my system produces more electricity than I will consume I won't qualify for SREC Credits at all or any overproduction will not count in the SRECs? For how many years I can claim SRECs in NJ? Is it 10 or 15 years.

Thanks

Mike

Howdy antiriad and welcome to solar panel talk.

Ok so here's my take on your questions, opinions vary, keep reading and you will be right.

1. Sometimes larger wattage panels can be helpful if the roof space you have to install on is limited, otherwise the lower wattage cheaper panel is the way to go.

2. Good question. I think its a good idea to upgrade the panel and the solar installer will/can handle it. I think you need to read up on some of solar citys reviews

3.4.5.6 There are other's here that know more about that than me, hopefully some one will chime in.

Comment

I'm one of the chimers and I wouldn't let SolarCity on my property, much less listen to, or put any faith in anything they would tell me. I've seen too much of their B.S. as the guy in my HOA who reviews and monitors solar installs for the last 8 + yrs. They are the solar equivalent of bottom feeders.

See prior threads for some particulars. Might take a bit of searching however.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

Testing on IE to see if the work .......well they are working What Browser are you using J.P.M

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
          Testing on IE to see if the work .......well they are working What Browser are you using J.P.M
          Internet Explorer.

Comment

1. Who supplies your electric, Atlantic City Elec., PSE&G, or other
            2. If your local electric inspector knows how to read the code, you must upgrade your panel (it is 100 amps, and you will be running 1115-130 through it.
            3. What tax credits do you think you will be getting, federal or state?
            Dennis
            SE5000 18 each SW185

Comment

Originally posted by dennis461 View Post
              1. Who supplies your electric, Atlantic City Elec., PSE&G, or other
              2. If your local electric inspector knows how to read the code, you must upgrade your panel (it is 100 amps, and you will be running 1115-130 through it.
              3. What tax credits do you think you will be getting, federal or state?
              We are on PSEG. My electrical panel will need an upgrade no matter what. Solarcity said they could also tie externally to the panel which I really don't want. It has to be done right.
              As far as tax credits I believe we would get the 30% Federal tax credit and the NJ SRECs which will be about 6 a year at about 200-250 each. However one of the shady lines
              I found with Solarcity is that for financed systems they are claiming the SRECs and they give you an upfront of 2.5K for SRECs which is something I am not agreeing since I told them that I am looking into this deal only if I am able to claim all the tax incentives for my own. I really don't want to give up 15 years of SRECs for a 2.5K Upfront payout.

Also I am not happy with their support at all since I had opened 1-2 tickets regarding Information about that Panels or Inverters they use and the only thing they have provided me is the number of Panels. So far I only had the site survey and they are in the process of designing the system for approval.

Comment

Originally posted by antiriad View Post
                As far as tax credits I believe we would get the 30% Federal tax credit and the NJ SRECs which will be about 6 a year at about 200-250 each. However one of the shady lines
                I found with Solarcity is that for financed systems they are claiming the SRECs and they give you an upfront of 2.5K for SRECs which is something I am not agreeing since I told them that I am looking into this deal only if I am able to claim all the tax incentives for my own. I really don't want to give up 15 years of SRECs for a 2.5K Upfront payout.
                SRECs are not a tax incentive.
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

SRECs are not a tax incentive.
                  In that case only the Federal tax credits will only apply. However it is not bad to know that you could get an additional $1,200-1,500 a year from SREC sales. I am sure the prices will fall lower in the following years

Comment

In that case only the Federal tax credits will only apply. However it is not bad to know that you could get an additional $1,200-1,500 a year from SREC sales. I am sure the prices will fall lower in the following years
                    you stated that you told SolarCity you would only sign if you maintained the TAX incentives but seem to be complaining about them keeping the SRECs. Technically they are meeting your demands since SRECs are not TAX incentives.

Also SREC markets can and do drop.
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

We are on PSEG. My electrical panel will need an upgrade no matter what. Solarcity said they could also tie externally to the panel which I really don't want. It has to be done right.

Also I am not happy with their support at all since I had opened 1-2 tickets regarding Information about that Panels or Inverters they use and the only thing they have provided me is the number of Panels. So far I only had the site survey and they are in the process of designing the system for approval.
                      Done properly, a line or supply side tap (connecting externally to the panel) is a perfectly good way to interconnect, with no real disadvantages other than possibly cost. The NEC allows and regulates this method. However some power companies (POCOs) and jurisdictions (AHJs) do not allow it, so be sure Solarcity knows the rules for your situation.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

SREC's are a gamble, if legislation does not change in NJ, prices will continue to go down from the current $220 due to new installations going on-line.
                        http://www.njsrec.com/node/3

If legislation somehow raises the percentage of renewables required by utilities, the price could spike upwards.

PSEG installs a lot of solar, AC Electric does not, and IMHO, getting approval from AC is quicker than PSEG.
                        Not your headache if you use a supplier like Solar City to do paperwork/permits.

Camden County, NJ, USA
                        19 SW268 panels
                        SE5000 inverter
                        grid tied
                        Dennis
                        SE5000 18 each SW185

Comment

Working...
                        X