X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ground Rod for PV Array ?

After watching several of Mike Holt's YouTube videos about not adding another Ground Rod for a new PV installation, I was surprised that my Local Inspector requires that I add a 2nd Ground Rod for my Ground Mount PV Array. He wants me to run a wire from the new Ground Rod to the Ground Bar inside the DC Disconnect Box located on the PV Array. I already have an EGC, Equipment Ground Conductor, wired from the Main Load Center to the Inverter's "AC Ground" terminal and then another wire from the Inverter's "DC Ground" terminal to the Ground bar inside the DC Disconnect at the PV Array.

Here is the current grounding path ...

<Well> <GEC bare wire> <Gnd Bar Main Load Center> <EGC wire> <AC Gnd Inverter DC Gnd> <Gnd Bar DC Disconnect> <Solar Panels & Frame>

The above does not show the new Ground Rod nor its connection to the DC Disconnect.
    Should I trench 90' from the new Ground Rod to the original Well Casing (AC GROUND) and bond the two grounds together?
    Is 6 AWG solid OK ?
    Last edited by NEOH; 11-30-2016, 11:29 PM.

The inspector is always right, unless you hold a PhD in the field and care to update him. Some are good guys and might listen, but you paid your fees and you takes your chances.....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The fact is, a ground mount in concrete has direct multiple grounds to lightning, unless you do special procedures to insulate things.
      Not to be confused with a personnel safety ground. I have 58 frame grounds at the array. Bruce Roe

Comment

Well I was in that video, and you did not comprehend the information being presented in the video. Mike said no such thing. What Mike and the whole electrical industry is up in arms with is the murder John Wiles got away being passed into voodoo witchcraft electrical code. It will be gone next cycle and all jurisdictions that have adopted NEC 2014, have amended out John's dangerous exemption.

What John and the solar industry wanted was an exemption that requires them to bond the Solar ground system to the house AC Service. John is a scientist God Bless his heart, but he is academic and has no applied experience. He is clueless how dangerous that is. It was done for one thing and one thing only. Cut corners and cost. Or as John put it making solar more available to the less fortunate. Typical liberal academic babble because of the cost to human lives lost and property damage. Anyone who can afford Solar, can afford to pay $500 to $1000 more to do it right so it is safe.

So what your Inspector is telling you is go to hell John Wiles, we deny your authority and have amended out your exemption. Your Inspector is telling you the gospel, it HAS TO BE BONDED to be safe. That is the point you missed in Mike's video. Mike is saying exactly what your Inspector and I am tellingg you.

If you have a problem with that remember the 2 golden rules of dealing with the AHJ (Inspector), and wives

1. Inspectors and Wives are always correct.
        2. When Inspector or Wifey is incorrect, refer to rule 1

Play by those rules and you will be fine. In this case your Inspector is correct and looking out for you. He does so to cover his arse because if lightning struck nearby or hit your house, the city is on the hook for known and documented unsafe electrical requirements. It has already happened and tried in court. There is no one in the Industry who will testify the 2014 Solar Grounding Requirements meet minimum safety and known standard practices. If allowed you could suit the city and contractor for damages if they occur. They would be defenseless.

If I were to bet, your contractor tried to get away with it, and the Inspector busted him. FWIW an Equipment Ground Conductor is NOT a Ground Conductor. Used like your contractor is using it your EGC because the fuse to the bomb waiting to explode. All it needs is lightning to lite the fuse. When it happens lightning takes a path right through your house and through all your solar equipment. Properly bonded and lightning is taken to earth, and has no path to inside.
        Last edited by Sunking; 12-01-2016, 05:45 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X