X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff149b
    • Nov 2016

Buying Enphase stock : M250's or NASDAQ ?

I've seen Enphase corporate survival debated here, and their stock fall from 16 to 1 in a few years. I've also read here that microinverters can fail, though there are always naysayers around.
    I'm about to have installed 20 SolarWorld 290mon, with Enphase M250s and Envoy S metered combiner in coastal Rhode Island.
    If some M250's start to fail after 5 years, would it make any sense to buy some extras?
    If Enphase goes under eventually, can another company's microinverter be mixed with a primarily M250 system?
    Any other replacement parts, cables, etc. that it would make sense to stock up on?
    My installers says he's installed thousands of M250's and only had a couple fail, and that was immediately on install.
  • tracksyde
    • Feb 2014

There's one guy on the Nissan Leaf forum who did just that.. stocked up on spare micros.. he had a bunch of M190s (known to fail) and as they fail, he replaces them with newer ones (M190IG, M250IG, or M250) and gets the failed ones replaced from Enphase (he self-installed, I believe).

I asked him a similar question and he was of the opinion that if Enphase went out of business, then we may be able to buy spares at that time, possibly at steep discounts.

In some cases, the installer is willing to "self-warranty" the Enphase micro inverters themselves for a period of 25 year, if Enphase isnt around to fulfill their warranty obligations.

If you google "enphase mtbf nissan leaf" you'll find the thread I'm referring to. Lots of good information in there regarding Enphase micros.

(I also went with the Envoy S Metered in a Combiner box.. pretty cool set up)

Comment

Working...