X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebates etc.

Is there any advantage getting solar this year 2016 over next, rebates, PG&E, tax advantages?

You'll get any federal tax treatment about 1 year sooner for work completed this year, but if a contract is not signed yet it may have trouble being completed by the end of his calendar year.

Other benefits may or may not be available. Such things vary by state, municipality and POCO.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 11-21-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Since Trump was elected, the Fed tax credit is almost certainly going away. Get it now while you can.
      7.2 kW / LG NeOn 2 300's / Enphase M250

Comment

It seems that the system installation must be complete and inspected prior to the end of this year to get the rebate. If correct, then it's pretty much impossible to order a system today and have it signed off by the local inspector. Where I live, getting a county inspector out is already out into next year so even if I had a system today that was ready to go online, it still wouldn't qualify.

Anyone care to dispute or correct me? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Comment

• terry hawk
          terry hawk commented
          Editing a comment
          I was told by the contractor as long as the system is underway and you have a signed contract it still qualifies for 2016. Should have plenty of time to get it started and finished before years end.

Hello the Fed Tax credit for Solar is set to run through to 2023, it is going to be reduced during this time, here are a few links to explain.

http://www.solarreviews.com/solar-po...ar-incentives/
        http://www.seia.org/policy/finance-t...ent-tax-credit

Comment

Does Verifiable purchases of solar & batteries for off-grid, even if not signed off by official qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            You'll get any federal tax treatment about 1 year sooner for work completed this year, but if a contract is not signed yet it may have trouble being completed by the end of his calendar year.

Other benefits may or may not be available. Such things vary by state, municipality and POCO.

Won't have a signed contract because I'm self installing. I wasn't aware that the federal rebate required a third party installer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
              Does Verifiable purchases of solar & batteries for off-grid, even if not signed off by official qualify?
              Originally posted by Alan Waterman View Post
              Won't have a signed contract because I'm self installing. I wasn't aware that the federal rebate required a third party installer.
              Signed contract and purchase doesn't matter.
              Being "placed in service" is what matters.
              "placed in service" is the term used by the IRS and I believe in the tax code.

If your panels (and batteries) aren't delivered before Jan 1st, then there's no question IMO. (And should you be audited, there'd be little question for the IRS IMO)

It could happen that your panels (and batteries) are delivered in Dec. and you get everything up and running, inspected and (if needed) signed off by the POCO and AHJ before Jan 1. in which case there'd be little question for the IRS - but in the other direction.

If it's somewhere in between, then it's IMO a question of whether you can convincingly document that you actually did have the system "placed in service" in 2016.

Personally, with only a month or so left in 2016, I'd just plan on it being placed in service in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

Signed contract and purchase doesn't matter.
                Being "placed in service" is what matters.
                "placed in service" is the term used by the IRS and I believe in the tax code.

If your panels (and batteries) aren't delivered before Jan 1st, then there's no question IMO. (And should you be audited, there'd be little question for the IRS IMO)

It could happen that your panels (and batteries) are delivered in Dec. and you get everything up and running, inspected and (if needed) signed off by the POCO and AHJ before Jan 1. in which case there'd be little question for the IRS - but in the other direction.

If it's somewhere in between, then it's IMO a question of whether you can convincingly document that you actually did have the system "placed in service" in 2016.

Personally, with only a month or so left in 2016, I'd just plan on it being placed in service in 2017.
                It takes PG&E about 4 weeks after inspection sign off to be able to get permission to operate. From my reading of the IRS rules the system has to actually be operating in order to claim the tax credit for that year. Pretty much an impossibility for 2016. I keep reading that the residential solar rebate expires at the end of 2016 and that it's not likely to get renewed given Trump's election.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  ButchDeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From most accepted interpretations, it has to be ready and able to operate not necessarily operating or have permission to operate.
                  That would mean you do not need to wait for utility PTO, but do need final AJH inspection.

Howdy I think you need to read the info in this link and remember this extension passed with bipartisan support.

http://www.seia.org/policy/finance-t...ent-tax-credit

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Waterman View Post

Who told you a self install will not be eligible for a federal tax credit ?

Comment

My project is DYI. When I first started researching a solar system at least 3 companies told me it would qualify for the tax rebates. Have not talked to my CPA just assumed they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by DC1 View Post
                      My project is DYI. When I first started researching a solar system at least 3 companies told me it would qualify for the tax rebates. Have not talked to my CPA just assumed they were right.
                      The U.S. federal solar tax credit can be taken for self installed equipment provided it meets IRS requirements in all respects.

Comment

Originally posted by DC1 View Post
                        A DYI should be covered by the tax rebates in most US states if you follow all local codes including permits and approvals by the AHJ and POCO's. It is only a few US states that require someone with a special license that is recognized by the State to perform a solar installation. That is what the IRS would be looking for on the paperwork for approval.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Who told you a self install will not be eligible for a federal tax credit ?
                          Some state or POCO rebate (not tax credit) programs require a certified installer.
                          A common area of confusion.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
                          X