Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG Neon2 310 or SolarWorld 290, final answer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG Neon2 310 or SolarWorld 290, final answer??

20 panel, Enphase Micro Inverters, both Silver Frame, White backs, Panels on high dormer not visible from ground. SoWest facing, 3pitch roof.
    Coastal Long Island, not much snow, chance of high winds.
    LG Neon2 310, $21,700 .

SolarWorld 290, $21,000 i

Your thoughts??
    Last edited by Jeff149b; 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM.

Local building code compliance - any hassles/hard times to obtain ?

Wind/structural calc. requirements ?

Warranties beyond mfg's component warranties ?

Have you checked any established, quality local vendors for price ?

Comment

The one, slightly larger "established, quality local vendor" wanted $26.700 for the same system. His whole sales pitch felt very "bait and switch". Most people here rent their roofs to SolarCity or Sungevity.
      Both small vendors mentioned seem about equal on Wind/structural calc. I expect the SolarWorld guy might do more "monitoring" of the system, but I'm not clear how much that is worth. I haven't asked the 2 installers about their warranties beyond whatever LG, SolarWorld, or Enphase offer.
      Last edited by Jeff149b; 11-16-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Do you need a main panel upgrade?
        Or have a difficult to work on roof? (steep pitch? slate or tile or metal?)
        Your quotes are $3.50 and $3.62/W
        If you like them, I'd tell them you need it down at about $18500 for a 6.2kW system. ($17250 for a 5.8kw system)

If you don't have major issues (like needing a new main panel) it should be profitable for them even at $3/W.
        (Rhode Island may cost more than more rural areas - but even here in SF Bay area with it's high-cost of lifing you can get less than $3/W (although you may have to shop around a little)

Comment

No major issues.p. Main Panel is fine. Using the Solar Power System Cost reporting function at Solarreviews, 172 systems in the 6KW size area were around $4.40 to $4.75 per Watt. 120 systems in the 9ishKW size area were around $3.90 to $4.10 per Watt. Systems above 13W were getting to the $3.50 to $3.60 range, so I thought I was doing well at $3.50.
          Mostly wondering about LG vs Solarworld, and relative merits of the two installers.
          Last edited by Jeff149b; 11-16-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff149b View Post
            It's rural here. The one, slightly larger "established, quality local vendor" wanted $26.700 for the same system. His whole sales pitch felt very "bait and switch". Most people here rent their roofs to SolarCity or Sungevity.
            Both small vendors mentioned seem about equal on Wind/structural calc. I expect the SolarWorld guy might do more "monitoring" of the system, but I'm not clear how much that is worth. I haven't asked the 2 installers about their warranties beyond whatever LG, SolarWorld, or Enphase offer.
            Understood.

At 39 ft. elevation, I'd think service could/might be tricky/expensive, with any vendor, particularly if yours goes belly up.

In any case, if access might be tougher than normal, that might be another reason to avoid micro inverters. A string inverter might also save a few $$.

At that height, I don't know if I'd want a safety harness, a parachute, a jet pack or all three.

Will the panels be mounted parallel to the roof or at a higher slope ?

I don't know what your pricing is like in MA, but ~ $3.50/Watt doesn't sound terrible, although I'd be a bit skeptical about those 2 vendor's staying power.

How much are the state incentives and SREC $$'s changing ?

A winter install can sometimes impact installation quality.

Good luck.

Comment

"How much are state incentives and SREC $$'s changing" Impossible to predict, particularly with the change in Presidency.
              Low slope roof is 3 pitch, panels will be mounted parallel to the roof.
              After sleeping on it, I expect the Solar World guy is more likely to stay in business doing service on a larger installed base, his installs and all the others around here. The advertised extra durability of the Solar World panels is attractive too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff149b View Post
                "How much are state incentives and SREC $$'s changing" Impossible to predict, particularly with the change in Presidency.
                Low slope roof is 3 pitch, panels will be mounted parallel to the roof.
                After sleeping on it, I expect the Solar World guy is more likely to stay in business doing service on a larger installed base, his installs and all the others around here. The advertised extra durability of the Solar World panels is attractive too.
                FWIW, I'd consider either panel about the same in terms of durability and robustness of construction. Advertising is mostly hype. Panels are a commodity.

Is "3 pitch" = 3 in 12 ?

If so, and with a SW azimuth, expect about 1,200 kWh/yr. per installed D.C. kW, +/- some at your location, pretty much regardless of panel mfg., provided it's a quality product and properly installed.

Comment

"Is "3 pitch" = 3 in 12 ? "

Yes 3 pitch is 3 in 12

Comment

I'd go with the guy who's going to stick around...

Comment

Working...
                    X