X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cebury View Post
    This doesn't help you but PGE just implemented a new web usage/billing interface ,which I assume may mean some of backend/intermediate tool changes, because it now allows Solar PV customers to determine the best billing system choice. I've hit my first TrueUp so not sure if it's only for those whom have (likely). But it will do the last 12 months calculation to see if the plan you are on is the least costly plan, just like non-Solar PV customers have been able to for years.
    Thanks, I'm interested what PGE comes up for you. Right now SCE has a rate comparison tool available for non NEM customers. I don't know if they'll implement it for NEM customers.

Comment

Originally posted by FFE View Post

Like JPM mentioned, you will need to watch your summer rates. As long as you avoid running the big items (things that pump water, heat, cool and Electric Vehicle charging) at peak hours you are usually better off on TOU-A than a tiered rate.

Two examples: My 60% offset system only ends up with 2 months of the year with using more on/off peak than it produces.
      I recently spoke to a friend that has 80% offset solar on a tiered rate for 7+ years. I recommended they look into TOU-A. SCE said they would save the $200 per year that they normally pay at true up. They never even tried to load shift and they still could have saved.
      I'll keep my eye on it. I'm already load shifting my pool pump but won't even try to prevent my wife from keeping the AC set to a temperature that she wants...if you know what I mean )

Comment

Like JPM mentioned, you will need to watch your summer rates. As long as you avoid running the big items (things that pump water, heat, cool and Electric Vehicle charging) at peak hours you are usually better off on TOU-A than a tiered rate.

Two examples: My 60% offset system only ends up with 2 months of the year with using more on/off peak than it produces.
        I recently spoke to a friend that has 80% offset solar on a tiered rate for 7+ years. I recommended they look into TOU-A. SCE said they would save the $200 per year that they normally pay at true up. They never even tried to load shift and they still could have saved.
        I was actually writing more to the idea that the summer and winter RATES and TIMES are different. 57 days of identical use and times of use will produce different billing amounts if accrued in summer than if accrued in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by FDJ View Post

Thanks, I'm interested what PGE comes up for you. Right now SCE has a rate comparison tool available for non NEM customers. I don't know if they'll implement it for NEM customers.
          It came up exactly with what my own analysis was, using a spreadsheet with my actual usage overrated with pvwatts, adjusted for dst. Im not bragging because we hit my annual estimate exactly, because I wasn't exactly right. Hehe. Lots of things were a bit off from my estimates, but it came back around to total the same.

For our household, even though someone is here during the day, and we live and die by our AC in summer, and even though we have an EV (9000mi annual), we are slightly better with E6 TOU that is no longer available, the replacement tou peak window is only slightly shifted during the day. The tiered and EV plans just didn't beat e6 tou for us, but at least we should be at our break even point when the plan ends in 2021. It'll all be gravy for us by then, even though they'll be taking away the majority of peak period by using 4 to 9pm window.

Comment

Time for year two update. The EV addition I mentioned in my first post did mess up my plan to achieve a $0 bill this time. We switched from an EV and plug in hybrid to a dual EV family. The good news is that we only paid the minimum bill one of the 12 months. The other good news is that we used 100% of our baseline allocation. Since SCE TOU-D-A rates only give you the baseline credit if you use the kWhs, our $/kWh average was lower than the posted rates. So our second year of solar ended with $460 sent to SCE for the year with an additional 5,900 kWhs drawn from the grid. So, our total cost for electricity and personal transportation for the year is simple to calculate. We went from spending $50-80 per month for gas to less than $20 average additional per month for electricity with the change. We had the expected degradation after the first year that also increased the electricity drawn from the grid.

Comment

Time for year two update. The EV addition I mentioned in my first post did mess up my plan to achieve a $0 bill this time. We switched from an EV and plug in hybrid to a dual EV family. The good news is that we only paid the minimum bill one of the 12 months. The other good news is that we used 100% of our baseline allocation. Since SCE TOU-D-A rates only give you the baseline credit if you use the kWhs, our $/kWh average was lower than the posted rates. So our second year of solar ended with $460 sent to SCE for the year with an additional 5,900 kWhs drawn from the grid. So, our total cost for electricity and personal transportation for the year is simple to calculate. We went from spending $50-80 per month for gas to less than $20 average additional per month for electricity with the change. We had the expected degradation after the first year that also increased the electricity drawn from the grid.
              So, $460/yr/5,900 kWh/yr = $0.08/kWh. That's pretty low. Lowest published super off-peak rate on TOU-D-A looks like $0.13/kWh. Am I missing something ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

So, $460/yr/5,900 kWh/yr = $0.08/kWh. That's pretty low. Lowest published super off-peak rate on TOU-D-A looks like $0.13/kWh. Am I missing something ?
                It was kind of explained in the 5th sentence. Some of the extra useage was part of the baseline allowance and was only $0.03/kWh ($0.13-0.10). The rest was at full price and mostly at super off peak. This is a simple explanation since the baseline is applied to whatever rate is used first and obviously my peak and off peak is not exactly the same as the first year.
                Last edited by FFE; 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

It was kind of explained in the 5th sentence. Some of the extra useage was part of the baseline allowance and was only $0.03/kWh ($0.13-0.10). The rest was at full price and mostly at super off peak. This is a simple explanation since the baseline is applied to whatever rate is used first and obviously my peak and off peak is not exactly the same as the first year.
                  Understood. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X