X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aliris
    • Sep 2016

Shady roof; trouble weighing design-options

We have shade issues on our southern-California, residential house and separate garage. The main drop is at the garage and power enters the house via a trench to a subpanel, but that conduit may not be useable for power per code.

I've received far too many estimates; these computerized salesmen-generators are not really a great boon. I agree with JPM and others that calling contractors is probably better than generically letting them call me.

Toward that end I've had two on-site inspections, lots of google-earth ones though. From on-site and given shading and way-too-fancy roof gables and owner queesiness about street-exposure of the panels, one design suggests utilizing 2 main-house roofs and the other uses 4 main-house exposures (different ones!) plus the garage.

I'm skeptical of the 2-site plan because it seems to send panels down the front roof into a pretty shady zone to my eye. However, these guys guarantee production, so…. they've made their shade measurements and believe production would be adequate.

How am I to evaluate such different plans? Do I need to obtain my own shade-measurements? I'd really rather not….

Both companies have strong recommendations, the 4-site one is very local and universally beloved and it's got a concomitantly high price tag. The other company is a locally-operating up-and-coming but established, hungry and busy, one, headed by an engineer as opposed to, say, a salesman or a contractor (I think that's an interesting piece of trivia to throw into the evaluative mix), though I'm not sure he's seen the design.

They're also pushing SP a bit because it really is a complicated site and this would help in squeezing out power.

Via google not physical visit, another company suggested optimized Hyundai 350W panels, another sensible way of maximizing acreage I should think.

So I have trouble knowing whom to trust in designing a system that will work with the site's limitations.
    I think I've got a handle on how to evaluate business trustworthiness of contractors, but not engineering or imaginative layout expertise. They'll all do "what I want", but I am not an engineer myself and don't know what I do/should want/need. I don't know the relative merits of optimizers or microinverters, at the end of the day. I've read quite a bit about it, but in the end haven't the expertise to draw a conclusion. There is consensus, however, that a single string inverter is insufficient.

I've read the vaunted PV 4 Dummies book and liked it (thanks!). But I'm not sure it helps much. I don't know how to figure output since I don't have relevant shade readings. I'd really need spot readings from a dozen sites - oy!

Honestly, this online "marketplace" setup is not a very good plan. We need independent engineers not vested ones from the companies to be designing. These marketplaces would be far more helpful for the consumer if they aggregated business in a circular structure, with independent contractors contributing to independent engineers, paying them for their services "centrally" for the consumer, and then bidding on the construction. Setting up the bidding so far downstream leaves us consumers with too-diverse apples and oranges to compare, and no clue as to whom to trust, really.

Any thoughts? Anyone here up for me posting an aerial photo? Not that I believe that would really help too too much but if you think it would….
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I'd reduce usage as much as possible and add cost effective conservation measures. You're leaving money on the table if you've not done that first and foremost. While I was doing that, I'd get more in formed about how solar energy works, how you are charged for electricity, and what solar products available. Keep in mind that none of this is rocket science. Don't buy any PV until you understand what folks are telling you.

Comment

• aliris
      aliris commented
      Editing a comment
      (@-@)

No dryer, no TV, no pool, no MW, modern fridge, all LED, no water heater, fans w/AC 1x/yr - what else did you have in mind?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

If a large portion of your roof does not get 3+ hours of sun, it may not actually be worth it.
    But I could concoct a spreadsheet that would make you want to give me your $, the payback would be so great. (but it would all be a lie)
    Shade creates no power
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• aliris
      aliris commented
      Editing a comment
      None of these multiple companies has suggested the project is not worth doing and none of the websites I've visited has suggested as much either. It's just annoying because multiple small arrays has to be fitted; the acreage is not flat.

It's southern california, the most-shady section of roof gets 5 hours in winter. Everything's relative.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by aliris
    (@-@)

No dryer, no TV, no pool, no MW, modern fridge, all LED, no water heater, fans w/AC 1x/yr - what else did you have in mind?
    Depends. How much energy does the dwelling use over the course of a year ? How's your HVAC bills ? Insulation levels up to snuff, particularly attic/crawl space? Doors, window sealing/weatherstripping ? Duct insulation ? Insulation on hot water lines if applicable ? When was the last time the fridge coils were cleaned or the fridge door seal checked ? Furnace filters checked/cleaned/changed out ?

Comment

• aliris
      aliris commented
      Editing a comment
      Filters and coils all cleaned. Our achilles heel is insulation. Attic OK, crawl space not-so-much. Nasty down there! Windows old, charming, essentially non-barriers.
Working...