X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roboguy9512
    • Sep 2016

Difference in Quick Mount PV mounts

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Quick Mount PV tile replacement mounts and the QHook product? Which one would give a lower profile? My installer will be using Ironridge XR10 rails. Some photos of finished installs using either system would be great. TIA!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Why do you want a lower profile? You want to be above the tiles and give enough room for air to circulate and help cool the modules.
    I would suggest using XR100 rails with tiles to minimize mounts and tile disruption as well.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Lower profiles and those dumb-ass skirts tend to increase panel temps. and thus lower output, and maybe shorten panel life or any roof electronics a bit from the increased operating temps. Solar arrays will never win beauty contests. Kind of like designer colors for your garbage cans, except the colored cans won't have their usefulness or cost effectiveness decreased by the paint.

Anyway, I'd bet after 10 days - 2 weeks or so, you'll stop noticing the array altogether it fades into the commonality of daily life.

Comment

• Roboguy9512
        • Sep 2016

Wow, I never thought about how that might impact performance .Thank you for the advice!

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Roboguy9512
          Wow, I never thought about how that might impact performance .Thank you for the advice!
          It's only one opinion. Do your homework. As a quick scan of this forum will show, ample divergence of opinion as well as various levels of experience and expertize exist. I'd respectfully suggest using those to confirm/change/adjust my opinions that have been self acquired. Then, ask questions to fill in gaps or iterate an opinion.

Comment

• solarix
            Super Moderator
            • Apr 2015

If you want lower profile, consider recessing the PV array into the tile roof. Remove all the tile in the area of the array leaving a 6" border around it. Put down your choice of asphalt shingle in the area and install your solar array. Really looks great and allows for good ventilation. Does cost more of course, except for new construction where it saves the cost of tile.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by solarix
              If you want lower profile, consider recessing the PV array into the tile roof. Remove all the tile in the area of the array leaving a 6" border around it. Put down your choice of asphalt shingle in the area and install your solar array. Really looks great and allows for good ventilation. Does cost more of course, except for new construction where it saves the cost of tile.

It also cuts performance even more than low profile by hindering cooling and allows dirt and debris as well as water under the tiles below the array.
              A generally bad practice.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...