X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Sep 2016

Solar Proposals - Feedback, Please

Hi all,

This forum has been incredibly helpful and informative. I have read the recommended reading and feel pretty confident with my dealings with the 9 companies that I have dealt with so far. After reading endless advice in regard to Sunpower not being worth the premium (especially in my case - full sun ground mount), I have eliminated a number of companies. I have 2 competing companies right now that seem very willing to win my business. I would like to share their proposals and receive your helpful feedback: I am in the Sacramento area. My proposals are all for ground mount systems, wide open field, ideal orientation/tilt/etc, with approx. 280' trenching.

Company 1 (newer, local company started by a Bay Area solar gentleman with 25 yr workmanship/performance guarantee - which I realize means nothing if said company is not around in 25 yrs)

24 Hanwha Q.Plus L-G4.2 330w panels
    7.92 kw DC system
    Ground mount
    SMA 7700 inverter
    Estimated 1st yr production 12,554 kWh
    Cost: $25,920 (pre tax credit) $3.27/watt
    1st year monthly site visits, solar production analysis, and panel cleaning if needed

7.92 kw DC system
    Ground mount
    SolarEdge 7600 with P400 optimizers
    Estimated 1st yr production 12,742 kWh
    Cost: $26,670 (pre tax credit) $3.37/watt
    1st year monthly site visits, solar production analysis, and panel cleaning if needed

Company 2 (more established company, positive reviews, good experience from another user on this forum - waiting to hear on their specific warranties)

28 Suniva Model: OPT280-60-4-1B0
    7.84 kw DC system
    Ground mount
    SolarEdge with Optimizers Model: SE7600A-US-U (240V)
    Estimated 1st yr production 12,124 kWh
    Cost: $26,264 (pre tax credit) $3.35/watt

Any feedback will be much appreciated!!
  • kgvenkatesh
    • Aug 2015

I have recent experience with quotes but mine is roof top pv, not ground mounting. I saw quotes close to $3/watt with LG320 / Solar edge on my 4.8kw project (from Bay Area as well as from no cal and so cal installers) but I have heard ground mounting costs more, so don't have a definitive opinion on your quotes. Wait for pros to chime in

Comment

• solar pete
      Administrator
      • May 2014

Originally posted by 8144
      Hi all,

This forum has been incredibly helpful and informative. I have read the recommended reading and feel pretty confident with my dealings with the 9 companies that I have dealt with so far. After reading endless advice in regard to Sunpower not being worth the premium (especially in my case - full sun ground mount), I have eliminated a number of companies. I have 2 competing companies right now that seem very willing to win my business. I would like to share their proposals and receive your helpful feedback: I am in the Sacramento area. My proposals are all for ground mount systems, wide open field, ideal orientation/tilt/etc, with approx. 280' trenching.

Company 1 (newer, local company started by a Bay Area solar gentleman with 25 yr workmanship/performance guarantee - which I realize means nothing if said company is not around in 25 yrs)

7.92 kw DC system
      Ground mount
      SMA 7700 inverter
      Estimated 1st yr production 12,554 kWh
      Cost: $25,920 (pre tax credit) $3.27/watt

7.92 kw DC system
      Ground mount
      SolarEdge 7600 with P400 optimizers
      Estimated 1st yr production 12,742 kWh
      Cost: $26,670 (pre tax credit) $3.37/watt

Company 2 (more established company, positive reviews, good experience from another user on this forum - waiting to hear on their specific warranties)

28 Suniva Model: OPT280-60-4-1B0
      7.84 kw DC system
      Ground mount
      SolarEdge with Optimizers Model: SE7600A-US-U (240V)
      Estimated 1st yr production 12,124 kWh
      Cost: $26,264 (pre tax credit) $3.35/watt

Any feedback will be much appreciated!!

Howdy 8144, to me the whole bit about "1st year monthly site visits, solar production analysis, and panel cleaning if needed" is just a sales gimmick and not required, if they do the install right you should never have to see them again. If you cant find ant reviews on company 1 then to me its a no brainer to go with company 2, opinions vary, cheers and good luck with it

Comment

• huge
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2016

If you go with suniva 330w or 340w panels instead of the 280w, it might come out a little cheaper. Less optimizers and I would imagine easier installation

Otherwise, almost the same price between all the options. You should compare the companies a little more in depth. Do they both have the C-10 and C-46 licenses?

If both companies were out of business in ten years, which installation would you have more confidence in?

Comment

• Svoad
          • Jul 2016

8144, Who did you end up going with ?

Comment

Working...