X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manishharpalani
    • Feb 2016

dshenmdyn,

Could you PM me the installer please? Looking for an install in Fremont.

Thanks,
    Manish

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Installer is listed in this thread.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• s2kfun
        • Apr 2016

dshenmdyn: trying to pm you but couldn't figure how so I hope you don't mind I ask how is your experience with your installer (Green Power Installers?). Thanks for sharing. Harry.

Comment

• dshenmdyn
          • Aug 2015

The installation process was pretty smooth and fast. They did have to make adjustments based on the inspector's notes. But those were done quickly.
          I also followed up closely to make sure things were done right and timely. They handled the PGE inter connect application quickly and well.
          They had very good price and so far I have no issue since the initial installation from last Sept.

Comment

• s2kfun
            • Apr 2016

Hi dshenmdyn. Hope you don't mind I ask you another question in open forum since I do not yet have access to PM. Based on your 4.4 kwh system with an electrical vehicle, how is your experience in terms of usage? Is that enough, barely enough or more than enough? I understand different household has different usage but I am trying to get an estimate of how much I should plan for my system with future electrical vehicle in mind. If you have to do all over again, would you increase to a bigger system or stay put since 4.5 kwh system is adequate? Thanks. Harry.

Comment

• dshenmdyn
              • Aug 2015

It heavily depends on the rate plan and your usage pattern.

Before I installed the solar, I had a good idea about Time of Use rate plan. Based on my historical usage pattern (overall wattage) and anticipated increase in usage from having a Nissan Leaf, I estimated the high end of my usage is about 8500kWh. PVWatts estimated the system will generate about 6000kWh AC. (I have 6 panels facing east and 8 panels facing west. No shade). I found PVWatts estimations to be generally accurate based on last 6 month (actual production is about 10% above the PVWatts).

What surprised me the most is how much one can "save" within the ToU. We used EV-A and have shifted all high energy electricity use to off peak hours (either at night or to weekend). After 6 months (the winter months), I only accumulated about $250 NEM charge. With summer coming, I think the system will generate a lot of power during peak hour which will not only pays off the $250ish NEM charge, but actually turns to excess credit.

My guess is by my annual true up time in Aug, I will have excess NEM credit. Not sure if there will be excess net energy production.

I am happy with the system capacity I got as it gives room to grow. But if one is looking for the quickest time to pay off the system, a slightly smaller system may also work (assuming one is comfortable with adjusting the energy use pattern to take full advantage of the off peak pricing): In summer, peak price is almost 4 times the off peak price. So 1kWh generated in peak time allows me to use 4kWh during off peak hour.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dshenmdyn
                It heavily depends on the rate plan and your usage pattern.

Before I installed the solar, I had a good idea about Time of Use rate plan. Based on my historical usage pattern (overall wattage) and anticipated increase in usage from having a Nissan Leaf, I estimated the high end of my usage is about 8500kWh. PVWatts estimated the system will generate about 6000kWh AC. (I have 6 panels facing east and 8 panels facing west. No shade). I found PVWatts estimations to be generally accurate based on last 6 month (actual production is about 10% above the PVWatts).

What surprised me the most is how much one can "save" within the ToU. We used EV-A and have shifted all high energy electricity use to off peak hours (either at night or to weekend). After 6 months (the winter months), I only accumulated about $250 NEM charge. With summer coming, I think the system will generate a lot of power during peak hour which will not only pays off the $250ish NEM charge, but actually turns to excess credit.

My guess is by my annual true up time in Aug, I will have excess NEM credit. Not sure if there will be excess net energy production.

I am happy with the system capacity I got as it gives room to grow. But if one is looking for the quickest time to pay off the system, a slightly smaller system may also work (assuming one is comfortable with adjusting the energy use pattern to take full advantage of the off peak pricing): In summer, peak price is almost 4 times the off peak price. So 1kWh generated in peak time allows me to use 4kWh during off peak hour.
                Nice to see some real world confirmation to what's been suggested around here. Thanx for sharing.

Comment

• s2kfun
                  • Apr 2016

dshenmdyn: I want to pm you to personally thank you for sharing your experience but still could not figure out how (I guess reading somewhere that I need 10 posts or something before able to have that function ?) Therefore, I guess I have to thank you in the open forum; hopefully not violating any forum's rules here ... -

Your detailed explanation is extremely helpful for me, hopefully, to properly choosing the correct size for my system. Once again, appreciate your kindness. Harry.

Comment

• manoomirza
                    • May 2016

recently i got encountered by power issues by load shedding and try to figure out energy solutions,, i went through the solar providers dealers to find some solution according to my budget but all effort went in vain i got disappointed by the the out come of dealers and their price listing criteria then my electrical engineer friend referred me to explore a Pakistani site for my energy solution,, i promptly visited the site and go through price criteria that was suitable with my pocket then i contacted the dealer they were providing eurpeon standard solar panels and and invertors the specification of my solar is 310Wp Mono-Crystalline, weight was 25 kg , warranty was 25 years with the feature,Short Circuit Current – Isc 8.91A,Cell Efficiency 15.99%,,Nominal Power Voltage – Vmp 36V,Nominal Power – Pmp 310Wp..

on the next day highly trained staff installed my solar panels with other acesories . im quite satisfied with my choice.

Comment

• dshenmdyn
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by s2kfun
                      dshenmdyn: I want to pm you to personally thank you for sharing your experience but still could not figure out how (I guess reading somewhere that I need 10 posts or something before able to have that function ?) Therefore, I guess I have to thank you in the open forum; hopefully not violating any forum's rules here ... -

Your detailed explanation is extremely helpful for me, hopefully, to properly choosing the correct size for my system. Once again, appreciate your kindness. Harry.
                      You are welcome. I learned a great deal from this site as well before I decided to jump in. I appreciate to have such a great community.

Comment

• Roboguy9512
                        • Sep 2016

dshenmdyn, I'm in the process of looking for a solar installer now and I can't find anything under $4/W. Can you PM me the name of your installer?

Comment

• dshenmdyn
                          • Aug 2015

Roboguy9512, just saw your post. How do I send a PM? I could not find where to send a PM in SolarPanelTalk. Is this feature enabled?

Comment

• Roboguy9512
                            Roboguy9512 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm good, after shopping around a bunch, just signed a contract for $3.20/watt
                        • J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dshenmdyn
                          Roboguy9512, just saw your post. How do I send a PM? I could not find where to send a PM in SolarPanelTalk. Is this feature enabled?
                          That feature is not enabled.

Comment

Working...