No announcement yet.

5.04KW solar panel is coming up in SF Bay Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all. I am now understand those loads. Solar is supplier and so is the grid.
    100A breaker and 100A panel can only support one more 20A solar breaker for supplier .... If I need to go to 40A, I would need to upgrade to 125A panel or drop the breaker to 80A. Upgrade can take be expensive on labor due to too many circuits ...

So, the option I choose still hold well with the second panel:
    Meter ---- 100A breaker -- 100A sub-panel 1: all household stuffs, pump, dryer (if needed) ....
    ---- 60A breaker -- 125A sub-panel 2: Solar , EV car, AC

With 80A breaker from the grid, I could run up to 70A for solar (assume 120% over subscribe).

AC uses 3.3KW and EV car uses 6.6KW --> total 10KW if run together (most likely in some hot night). It would drive 42A.. So the 80A is good enough to cover 125% overload.
    Future adjust would be much easier and a lot of flexible with this second panel ... If run 2 EV cars, total energy need is 16.6KW. It would drive to 70A. So I would need to change to 100A breaker. This will limit solar to 50A.

Is my math corrected?

Comment

Originally posted by solar_newbie View Post
      Total is around 3.5/w
      Care to share the installer's name? Thanks!

Comment

Total is around 3.5/w
        Hi can you pm me your installer? Thanks.

Comment

Installing today

Finally I will get solar install on my roof today ... super excited like a new toy. I do not feel it when remodel kitchen, bathroom, front yard, backyard and even whole house trip off and remodel before Spent nearly 6 figure money on this house already.

The system for my house is simple with 2 paralel racks on west face roof, each will carry 9 panels and 9 micro inverters. I will see all black rack and panel today as I like black on roof

I even defer my project discussion with my big boss (VP and head of department) and told him I will stay home for 2 days to see my solar installation.

Will update later on how it goes

Comment

Finally I will get solar install on my roof today ... super excited like a new toy. I do not feel it when remodel kitchen, bathroom, front yard, backyard and even whole house trip off and remodel before Spent nearly 6 figure money on this house already.

The system for my house is simple with 2 paralel racks on west face roof, each will carry 9 panels and 9 micro inverters. I will see all black rack and panel today as I like black on roof

I even defer my project discussion with my big boss (VP and head of department) and told him I will stay home for 2 days to see my solar installation.

Will update later on how it goes
            Sounds exciting, indeed Remember, one who dies with most toys, wins :P

My manager has also been very interested in my Solar project. He knows I do thorough research on all my projects

Got one vendor down to $3.65/W for an LG+Enphase system. Awaiting another smaller vendor to get back on some final pricing. Also, looking to get panel and service upgrades to 200A. Anyone got ball-park pricing on the panel upgrade? I got one quote of $3500.

Comment

Day 1 - Report

- Completed racking system for 18 panels
              - Completed connecting 18 emphase M250
              - Completed wiring a new 125A sub-panel all 18 emphase M250 using 2 15A breakers.

Now everything must be stop to wait for city inspector to inspect all roof, electrical .... This is a requirement in my city to ensure the roof is no damage due to solar installation.

Tomorrow plan (Day 2) : city inspector to do the middle job inspection, install all panels after that and connect the new sub-panel into the main-panel.

Report again tomorrow. I love the SW280 mono black. It looks solid and nice ... Envoy computer looks good also with WIFI connector.

Comment

Your installer got it going quick, bud. Congrats! Post some pictures if you have a chance.

Comment

Day 2

Inspector came and he requested couple changes as city code is tier the whole array must be 3 feet from everything on the roof ... Today job is just to move the racking system to match the location that inspector requests. He also requests all ladders must not only secure on the roof and ground, but also tie to the house ... It is interesting that it is not belong to the house and inspector cares about the safety of workers.
                  The good part is the city will come tomorrow morning again to make sure those are fix and sign off for resuming put those panels on the roof.
                  I guess I need to wait for tomorrow to get my system up ...

Comment

The ladder the installers use must be tied at the roof, the ground AND the house? What? Is this a multistory building or something? And I understand the inspector needs to see the ladder tied off before work can continue too?

3' setback from all edges is also more restrictive than other CA counties. Here in El Dorado county, as long as the roof on the other side of the ridge is clear, then there's no need for BOTH sides to be clear. The object/ purpose is to give firemen a lane to walk and to chop a hole in the roof near the ridge to vent an attic in event of a fire. The only time an inspector came out to my job was for the final. He spent maybe 5 minutes and left with two items; put a lock on the disconnect box and caulk where a conduit went through a wall into the house. He still signed off, said we could do those and he'd trust us to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by skipro3 View Post
                      The ladder the installers use must be tied at the roof, the ground AND the house? What? Is this a multistory building or something? And I understand the inspector needs to see the ladder tied off before work can continue too?

3' setback from all edges is also more restrictive than other CA counties. Here in El Dorado county, as long as the roof on the other side of the ridge is clear, then there's no need for BOTH sides to be clear. The object/ purpose is to give firemen a lane to walk and to chop a hole in the roof near the ridge to vent an attic in event of a fire. The only time an inspector came out to my job was for the final. He spent maybe 5 minutes and left with two items; put a lock on the disconnect box and caulk where a conduit went through a wall into the house. He still signed off, said we could do those and he'd trust us to get it done.
                      Yes, he does not go up until the leader is secure. This is a single story home. But I would understand the safety.

The requirement is not 3' setback from edges. It is 3' clear from everything. That is the first note he asked
                      Second is to make sure all rails to be secured to each other. It is good and safe right

He spent over 30 mins. Go through each panels, read each spec, ensure the space between rail is correct based on the size of the panel and based on manufacture suggestion. He said different panel are different, so do not apply the same rule.

Plus the high of the leg must be less than 8" (not 10" like standard).

Actually it is good at least he acts on my interest.

Comment

Day 3 + 4

Day 3 -- Just for reinspection of the city
                        Day 4 -- Panel are up. Electric are connected. Solar is UP ....
                        Next step : register envoy and will see the fun going on... Final city sign off ... PG&E PTO

Comment

Free Panels

I can get free solar panels and free installation for you,Im a Solar Panel Analyst,My name is Steve I can be reached at Knowledgebuildsabundance@gmail.com

Comment

Just curious does your installer name start with an "H" and the owners name start with a "D"?

I've got a couple quotes and company H has gotten the best price and I love the fact that they're not pushy and they have records of getting things done permit and all in weeks not months.

I'm looking at a 5 is kw system but going to see if I can do a 7kw

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
                              Just curious does your installer name start with an "H" and the owners name start with a "D"?

I've got a couple quotes and company H has gotten the best price and I love the fact that they're not pushy and they have records of getting things done permit and all in weeks not months.

I'm looking at a 5 is kw system but going to see if I can do a 7kw
                              Nope hahaha.

Comment

Envoy

I am really surprised how simple to configure envoy, enlighten and wifi for envoy ... I got it done in 2-3 hours playing from starting.

I really like the GUI mapping for solar array ... and how simple to configure WIFI. Now I can move my envoy anywhere around the house to find a good spot for inverter signal.

Comment

Working...
                                X