7.56 KW system in Dublin CA (SF Bay Area) SolarWorld 280+Enphase M250 $25700 - $3.4/W

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abyebye
    • Jul 2015

I didn't know about Q-cells till you mentioned it. And none of the vendors offer this brand to me.

I chose SolarWorld because I think it has good value. I would choose SunPower if the money is not an issue.

And this video also help me on choosing SolarWorld:

Originally posted by Yaryman
    abyebye,

You mentioned you selection came down to either SunPower, LG, SolarWorld panels.

Would consider all of those panels superior to Hanwha Q-cells?

Comment

• solardreamer
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

abyebye,

Did your installer use any subcontractors to do your installation? If so, what kind of subcontractors (e.g. electrician)?

Is the installer NABCEP certified?

Thanks

Comment

• abyebye
        • Jul 2015

They didn't use any subcontractors. I know they have C10 license, not sure about NABCEP certified. (didn't know about this till you told me)

Originally posted by solardreamer
        abyebye,

Did your installer use any subcontractors to do your installation? If so, what kind of subcontractors (e.g. electrician)?

Is the installer NABCEP certified?

Thanks

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Thanks for the info Can you tell me how much annual production (Kwh) do you expect from your 7.56kw system?

Originally posted by abyebye
          They didn't use any subcontractors. I know they have C10 license, not sure about NABCEP certified. (didn't know about this till you told me)

Comment

• Yaryman
            Banned
            • Aug 2015

Thanks for the info Can you tell me how much annual production (Kwh) do you expect from your 7.56kw system?
            Not speaking for the OP, I was told at 5.87 KW system would generate about 10,000 Kwh per normal year.
            It was the salespersons estimation that this year with very little rain the system would generate about 10,600 Kwh.
            Of course, it's the salesperson's job to sell you more than you need. So maybe the system would generate more power than he was stating,
            but he was understating the output so I would buy more panels. Yes people actually do that.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Not speaking for the OP, I was told at 5.87 KW system would generate about 10,000 Kwh per normal year.
              It was the salespersons estimation that this year with very little rain the system would generate about 10,600 Kwh.
              Of course, it's the salesperson's job to sell you more than you need. So maybe the system would generate more power than he was stating,
              but he was understating the output so I would buy more panels. Yes people actually do that.
              Actually, depending on location, orientation and shading, that may be a bit optimistic for a 5.87 kW array, but possible. As noted, peddlers will often underestimate average annual output to oversize an array at sale. No one ever got fired for selling too much.

Comment

• Yaryman
                Banned
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                Actually, depending on location, orientation and shading, that may be a bit optimistic for a 5.87 kW array, but possible.
                As noted, peddlers will often underestimate average annual output to oversize an array at sale. No one ever got fired for selling too much.
                J.P.M.,
                I should have mentioned my location and conditions.

The panels would have no ground shade (trees), 15 of the 23 would be South facing, with the other 8 facing West.
                I live about 25 miles from where the OP lives, but I am further out towards the Central Valley, so there is NO summertime fog here as I am at the edge of the SF Bay Area.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

J.P.M.,

The panels would have no ground shade (trees), 15 of the 23 would be South facing, with the other 8 facing West.
                  I live about 25 miles from where the OP lives, but I am further out towards the Central Valley, so there is NO summertime fog here as I am at the edge of the SF Bay Area.
                  10,000 kWh/yr. might be possible.
                  Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-26-2015, 12:52 AM. Reason: fixed kWh/yr. to 10,000.

Comment

• abyebye
                    • Jul 2015

I expect my system to generate more than 11,000 kwh per year. I didn't ask for any guraranteed output when I signed the contract. (after getting more than a dozen of quotes, somehow I started to ignore this)

So I emailed my vendor about this today. And I was told that they used EPBB calculator on line, http://www.csi-epbb.com/default.aspx. This calculator is a bit conservative, system tend to produce about 5-10 percent more than what this calculator predict. If someone want a guaranteed output they would use this calculator to predict.

Comment

• abyebye
                      • Jul 2015

Thanks Yaryman!

Comment

• abyebye
                        • Jul 2015

Lucky you!

15 of my 27 panels are east facing
                        7 are facing south
                        5 are facing West

That's decided by my root top....

J.P.M.,

Comment

• Yaryman
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2015

around 8:30pm:
                          It will be interesting to see the variance between the East, West, and South panels during the winter.
                          It will also be interesting to see the amount of power generated during the winter vs summer.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

FWIW, higher tilt angles will decrease the summer/winter output difference until they become somewhat equal, probably at some relatively high tilt angle. Then, if the tilt is high enough, winter production may exceed summer production by a bit.

Comment

• solardreamer
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2015

Thank you. That's a helpful reference point. I agree the EPBB is conservative.

I expect my system to generate more than 11,000 kwh per year. I didn't ask for any guraranteed output when I signed the contract. (after getting more than a dozen of quotes, somehow I started to ignore this)

So I emailed my vendor about this today. And I was told that they used EPBB calculator on line, http://www.csi-epbb.com/default.aspx. This calculator is a bit conservative, system tend to produce about 5-10 percent more than what this calculator predict. If someone want a guaranteed output they would use this calculator to predict.

Comment

• solardreamer
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • May 2015

Thanks for the info. It's the highest efficiency estimate I have seen so far.

Comment

Working...