X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Good luck with the install, and PM me if you want permit drawing examples for a couple of systems a friend and I did (his is in Milpitas, not too far from you).

Comment

• venvis2001
      • Mar 2013

Examples of couple of systems

Originally posted by sdold
      Good luck with the install, and PM me if you want permit drawing examples for a couple of systems a friend and I did (his is in Milpitas, not too far from you).
      Thanks. Yes, having couple of systems as guidance will be great - especially if those systems also used Enphase inverters. I am going to put together my design in the next couple of weeks or so (kind of tied up too much at work). Will update the progress!

Comment

• Basslakerider
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by venvis2001
        Hi Basslakerider, I downloaded google sketchup last week & have been playing around with it. It may take a while to do the design/drawing myself. I checked couple of online design services.. i can email you my thoughts since I can't mention names in the forum.
        First I have to firm up my decision on 'what panels' to get before jumping into design. I hope to decide by end of this month.. my day job is keeping me busy during weekdays.
        I just hired Solar Design and Drafting in Petaluma, based on their website and fact that John (owner I guess) is a Cal grad like myself. Never got any recs here but they look qualified and like they do this for lots of solar companies (based on the Site Evaluation guide they sent me). They are $450 for systems under 10Kw. Initial impressions are very good. John (owner) answered the phone and asked relevant questions and identified an issue which none of the solar contractors I got bids from did (ground mount conduit distance, central vs microinverters and wire guage). Promptly sent their Site Evaluation guide and Order Form. So far so good.

Comment

• awhite
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Basslakerider
          I just hired Solar Design and Drafting in Petaluma, based on their website and fact that John (owner I guess) is a Cal grad like myself. Never got any recs here but they look qualified and like they do this for lots of solar companies (based on the Site Evaluation guide they sent me). They are $450 for systems under 10Kw. Initial impressions are very good. John (owner) answered the phone and asked relevant questions and identified an issue which none of the solar contractors I got bids from did (ground mount conduit distance, central vs microinverters and wire guage). Promptly sent their Site Evaluation guide and Order Form. So far so good.
          Go Bears!

i tried Eagleview for aerial roof measurements. $55

Thanks for the tip on Solar Design and Drafting..I'm working thru the streamlined solar permit application now.

Comment

• venvis2001
            • Mar 2013

Design and Drawings

Originally posted by Basslakerider
            Hi Basslakerider,
            Did you get your designs/drawings done by Solar Design & Drafting? How long does it take for them to provide the designs?

Comment

• HX_Guy
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by awhite
              Go Bears!

i tried Eagleview for aerial roof measurements. $55

Thanks for the tip on Solar Design and Drafting..I'm working thru the streamlined solar permit application now.
              Wow that Eagleview is fantastic! Which report is $55? The Solar Report?

Comment

• Basslakerider
                • Jan 2015

Hi Basslakerider,
                Did you get your designs/drawings done by Solar Design & Drafting? How long does it take for them to provide the designs?
                Not yet, just spoke to them about some issues with my ground mount setup and equipment options. Said tomorrow or the next day should be finished. I sent their form and pictures on February 12th.

Comment

• awhite
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HX_Guy
                  Wow that Eagleview is fantastic! Which report is $55? The Solar Report?
                  I ordered the premium report, for my house, it came out to be $55. Tt's a sliding fee scale i think up to $75, depending on the size. There's a pricing page. The roof measurements helped with creating the roof plan for the permit application. The aerial photos help identify shadows on your roof.

Comment

• venvis2001
                    • Mar 2013

Finally got the design done for my system

Finally, I was able to spend some time & worked with a design permit services to get my design done. Here are the details of my system (thanks to all who helped me learn a lot thru' this process):

4.42KW DC system - 17x260W ReneSola panels with 17xM215 Micro inverters. My estimate is that this will cover close to 95% of my usage.
                    I am installing this on two roof facets: 1 with 8 panels facing SW (200 deg) & another with 9 facing S/W (109 deg) - on concrete tile roof with Solar warehouse hooks & Ironridge rails.
                    Will be running the conduit thru' my attic to the east side my house where the main panel is.
                    Question: My designer said that the run is about 70 ft (horizontal+vertical) & hence was doubtful of the approval if I use 1/2" EMT conduit. Should I be using 3/4" EMT conduit?

I plan to submit my plan to the city/HOA next week & then order my materials. I hope to get the installation done by September if everything goes well (I will be doing the installs myself & hire a licensed electrician for the final connection/inspection walk thru' etc.)

Will share more details as I progress.

Comment

• sensij
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2014

Will be running the conduit thru' my attic to the east side my house where the main panel is.
                      Question: My designer said that the run is about 70 ft (horizontal+vertical) & hence was doubtful of the approval if I use 1/2" EMT conduit. Should I be using 3/4" EMT conduit?
                      If you are DIY'ing, and don't have experience pulling through conduit, go larger, even if 1/2" is compliant.
                      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• paul65k
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by sensij
                        If you are DIY'ing, and don't have experience pulling through conduit, go larger, even if 1/2" is compliant.
                        That is GREAT advice right there

Comment

• venvis2001
                          • Mar 2013

Got my City approval today!

Went to the city permit office & got the approval from the city within 20 minutes today. Time to order my panels, etc.

Comment

• venvis2001
                            • Mar 2013

What kind combiner box to use?

Hi,
                            Question about combiner box:
                            I will have two branch circuits (at two different roof slopes). There will be one 'combiner' box at the end of each branch circuit & I will take the wires thru' attic from each branch circuit & then use '3rd' combiner box inside the attic. From there, I will run the wire thru' conduits inside attic & outside the wall, down to the main panel.
                            Do I need to get the expensive Soladeck combiner boxes or I can use a simple/cheap boxes from home depot, use 'ground bars' to connect the wires inside the 'water proof' boxes? Thanks for your suggestions/advice.

Comment

• foo1bar
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

Hi,
                              Question about combiner box:
                              I will have two branch circuits (at two different roof slopes). There will be one 'combiner' box at the end of each branch circuit & I will take the wires thru' attic from each branch circuit & then use '3rd' combiner box inside the attic. From there, I will run the wire thru' conduits inside attic & outside the wall, down to the main panel.
                              Do I need to get the expensive Soladeck combiner boxes or I can use a simple/cheap boxes from home depot, use 'ground bars' to connect the wires inside the 'water proof' boxes? Thanks for your suggestions/advice.
                              "ground bars" wouldn't be a good way to connect wires IMO.
                              At least other than ground wires.

If you use an outside Jbox, I think you need to use something rated for wet locations.
                              Polaris has wet-rated (and even submersion rated) connectors.

Comment

• sensij
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2014

As long as you have a proper penetration into the attic, and the junction box is rated for outdoor use, a Soladeck is not required. You can see in the attached how my transition through the roof was done.
                                Attached Files
                                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...