• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by skipro3
    Absolutely!

We can think of our solar installation as an investment that pays in after-tax dollars. It's like a Roth IRA in that way; pay taxes on the conversion of your money up front and the dividends are tax free for the rest of your life. So in this case, with solar, taxes are paid on the money we use to purchase the system with, that's the capitol, and the return is that you are 'paid' in the amount of money you keep in your checking account instead of paying it to the electric company. You can also view your solar as long term investment like an annuity or a pension. If you use any of the many annuity calculators available from insurance companies, you can plug in the money you spent on your solar and see what they would have paid you as an income for the rest of your life. Be sure to include that it's adjusted for inflation, because your electric company is going to keep adjusting it's rates for inflation. I mention an annuity, but you can compare this to any sort of long term income producing investment as well.

So figure out how much your solar cost you. Then, using an investment calculator, figure how much income you could draw if you had invested this money instead. Use a 25 year draw down on the investment to account for the fact your solar is warrantied for 25 years. Also figure the draw has to cover taxes both federal and state.
    Let's use my solar as an example;
    I paid a total of $16,414 for my solar which consists of 16 panels of SolarWorld 315 watt panels and a SolarEdge inverter. (plus all the incidentals) A 5kw solar installation. Actually I paid $18,414 and got a $2,000 refund because they missed deadlines I had insisted be in the contract. Now deduct the tax credits you get as a refund on your federal tax return which is 30%. For me, I can use the $18,414 dollar figure since that's what my receipt says and my tax accountant will use. I get a $5,524 credit on my taxes. Now my system has cost me an actual $10,890.
    My electric bill was $130 a month and I used the monthly averaging option to pay my bill, where PG&E figures out your annual payments, then divides by 12 months and bills you a fixed monthly amount with a correction once a year to zero out the account, sort of like solar does.
    For me to get a return of $130 a month on a $10,890 cash investment that draws down to zero dollars after 25 years I would need to invest that money in an account that has a return of 14%. I'd be lucky to find an investment that pays 4%, let alone 14%. Now figure in the return, $130 a month, is adjusted for inflation at 3% a year. The return would have to be more than just 14%.

What a DEAL solar is!!

Use your own actual dollars spent to buy your solar and the amount of money it saves you from paying to the utility company as see for your self what the comparable interest rate would need to be. Even if I had paid the full $18,414, never got a refund of $2,000 and never got the tax credit of 30%, I would still need to invest at 7% to get the same return I'm getting by not paying a monthly electric bill.

This is astounding! Anyone who has some long term investment money that is looking to convert it to income, as most will as they retire, needs to consider solar as a way to diversify out of the volatility of the stock market.

The only downside is you need to live 25 years in order to realize the investment's growth. But since there is still the investment solar installation if you were to die early that someone else will benefit from, it's even better than a pension or annuity as those evaporate upon your death and the capitol is lost back to the investment house or insurance company.

I'm sorry if I've hijacked your thread here, but I think the way we view solar as a way to manage our costs needs to include how it also works as long term income. Hope this helps!!
    What you have described is a short course in process economics. Works every time. There is a little more to it than that, the returns aren't always as good as yours for every situation, and there may be more variables to consider, but you sure hit the high spots.

Comment

• albert436
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2014

I have the SW315's on my array. They are larger commercial with 72 cells per panel than the 60 cell typical residential panels, but you need less of them and less of the hardware to mount them. They also take up less room than equivalent smaller cells.

A couple things I discovered about them;
      1. They are not made in the Oregon factory but rather in the German facility.

2. They are cheaper than the American panels even though they are larger/higher capacity. You can thank the Euro/US Dollar exchange rate for that. (May change at any time...)
      The SW285 panels sell for $385 each and the SW315's sell for $335 each from what I've been quoted in bids on-line including shipping to my house.

3. THIS IS IMPORTANT!! Due to their larger size, they are same width, just longer than the standard 60 cell panel, you do not want to mount them with the rails running the long way on the panels. These panels supported on the short edge are so long, they will bow. Also, the instructions on mounting placement becomes tighter and the load in pounds per square foot of panel falls off real fast. This doesn't make a huge difference unless you plan to mount then Landscape and run your rails length-wise to the roof. If you do run them landscape, just be sure you mount your rails so they attach along the long side of the panel for better load bearing support.

I saved $1500 on my system by going with 16 of the SW315 panels and a Solaredge SE5000A inverter/optimizers over 18 of the SW285 panels and Enphase Micro-inverters. They take up a bit less roof space and less mount flashings than smaller panels.
      Don't yet have my mind around the specifics on the mounting but sounds intriguing.

Originally posted by kny
      I've got a Volt. Absolutely fabulous car. For about 12,000 miles a year of electric miles, it consumes roughly 3,000kwh of our annual 9,500kwh usage. I'm definitely looking forward to getting our panels installed and propelling that car based on energy from fusion reaction that took place 93 million miles away.
      Lol!

Comment

• skipro3
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        What you have described is a short course in process economics. Works every time. There is a little more to it than that, the returns aren't always as good as yours for every situation, and there may be more variables to consider, but you sure hit the high spots.
        I've got an idea that I might successfully argue my solar installation is a business. I've invested capitol, bought hardware, and I'm in production. I've even got a fiduciary partner, PG&E who manages my inventory by warehousing it until the product is needed.

I wonder if someone could get a small business loan. Hey! It's 'shovel ready!' I think I could even get a government grant if I worded this right.... After a couple years paying back my small business loan, I claim bankrupt, and settle with the bank for pennies on the dollar. Just like the 'Too Big To Fail' banks, auto makers, etc.

Well, you get the idea. I'm wondering if there are any other business tax incentives I can take, like writing off the equipment as business equipment and depreciate it over several years.

Ya know.. I am on a pretty cool forum with a bunch of investing gurus called Early Retirement where the members have been financially savvy in normal routine careers, save, invest and retire early. I joined the forum in my 30's and retired by 53. I could have retired sooner, but I had a pension I wanted to pad for a few more years and I wanted to double down on a 401K to defer income. Check it out; http://www.early-retirement.org/
        I'm gonna run the idea past them and see what they think.

I hope I don't end up in a federal penitentiary for tax fraud, evasion or something.

Comment

• JBinCBad
          • Dec 2014

I have the SW315's on my array. They are larger commercial with 72 cells per panel than the 60 cell typical residential panels, but you need less of them and less of the hardware to mount them. They also take up less room than equivalent smaller cells.

A couple things I discovered about them;
          1. They are not made in the Oregon factory but rather in the German facility.

The SW285 panels sell for $385 each and the SW315's sell for $335 each from what I've been quoted in bids on-line including shipping to my house.
          Is this a typo? The 315's sell for $50/panel CHEAPER than the 285's? do you have url for these prices?
          Thanx,
          Joel

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

I've got an idea that I might successfully argue my solar installation is a business. I've invested capitol, bought hardware, and I'm in production. I've even got a fiduciary partner, PG&E who manages my inventory by warehousing it until the product is needed.

I wonder if someone could get a small business loan. Hey! It's 'shovel ready!' I think I could even get a government grant if I worded this right.... After a couple years paying back my small business loan, I claim bankrupt, and settle with the bank for pennies on the dollar. Just like the 'Too Big To Fail' banks, auto makers, etc.

Well, you get the idea. I'm wondering if there are any other business tax incentives I can take, like writing off the equipment as business equipment and depreciate it over several years.

Ya know.. I am on a pretty cool forum with a bunch of investing gurus called Early Retirement where the members have been financially savvy in normal routine careers, save, invest and retire early. I joined the forum in my 30's and retired by 53. I could have retired sooner, but I had a pension I wanted to pad for a few more years and I wanted to double down on a 401K to defer income. Check it out; http://www.early-retirement.org/
            I'm gonna run the idea past them and see what they think.

I hope I don't end up in a federal penitentiary for tax fraud, evasion or something.
            Could you talk a little louder into this mike please ??

Comment

• skipro3
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by JBinCBad
              Is this a typo? The 315's sell for $50/panel CHEAPER than the 285's? do you have url for these prices?
              Thanx,
              Joel

Comment

• sensij
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

The 315's are sold only in pallets on that link, the 285's individually. That is probably what is driving the price difference.
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• skipro3
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by sensij
                  The 315's are sold only in pallets on that link, the 285's individually. That is probably what is driving the price difference.
                  I notice now there is no button to add to cart for an individual 315 now. However, when I had him bid my project, he quoted me the $335 price per panel for 16 panels. I bet they are out of stock now and will order pallets but not individuals. They are moving to a bigger warehouse last I spoke to them. Once they are settled, I bet they get 'em back in stock and list individually again.

Comment

• JBinCBad
                    • Dec 2014

I noticed they didn't even list the 335 XL's. Seeing SW panels discounted where others are not gives me concern, ie is it a "going out of business" sale? LG's seem to hold a pretty consistent price on the open market, do PV contractors get lower price than what we're seeing here?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

I noticed they didn't even list the 335 XL's. Seeing SW panels discounted where others are not gives me concern, ie is it a "going out of business" sale? LG's seem to hold a pretty consistent price on the open market, do PV contractors get lower price than what we're seeing here?
                      Usually.

Comment

• skipro3
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2015

Wholesale Solar is moving to a new, bigger warehouse, so they are depleting stock so they don't have so much inventory to move. They are fairly close to where I live and I've visited their facility while driving to Oregon once. It's pretty large and I doubt they are doing anything but growing. They are also discounting shipping and will knock another chunk off for buying a system.

Their quote to me for 16 of the 315 watt panels, a 5000 solaredge inverter, 16 solar edge optimizers, enough rails and flashing mounts was $9,111 plus tax and free shipping.

Something I was unaware of;
                        When the installers came with my SolarWorld 315 watt panels, they were in boxes marked LG. I thought at first they got the wrong panels, but no, upon closer inspection the LG boxes also contained the info about them being SolarWorld panels. I had to look close and wish I had taken a photo.

Did anyone else know that LG and Solarworld are in together?

Comment

• rfay
                          • Aug 2015

Wholesale Solar is moving to a new, bigger warehouse, so they are depleting stock so they don't have so much inventory to move. They are fairly close to where I live and I've visited their facility while driving to Oregon once. It's pretty large and I doubt they are doing anything but growing. They are also discounting shipping and will knock another chunk off for buying a system.

Their quote to me for 16 of the 315 watt panels, a 5000 solaredge inverter, 16 solar edge optimizers, enough rails and flashing mounts was $9,111 plus tax and free shipping.

Something I was unaware of;
                          When the installers came with my SolarWorld 315 watt panels, they were in boxes marked LG. I thought at first they got the wrong panels, but no, upon closer inspection the LG boxes also contained the info about them being SolarWorld panels. I had to look close and wish I had taken a photo.

Did anyone else know that LG and Solarworld are in together?

Anyone have anymore info on this?

Comment

Working...