X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericf1 View Post
    I ran the system all day, just to see how it would run.

Peak output was 5.63KW @1130 and total production was 40.17 KWH.
    Thats awesome.... good job!

Comment

I ran the system all day, just to see how it would run. Amazingly, it outperformed PVwatts estimate for today by almost 15%, even though I reduced system losses to 9.6% (0 mismatch and 0 shading).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5799[/ATTACH]

Peak output was 5.63KW @1130 and total production was 40.17 KWH.

Now, I'll turn it off until I can get an inspector out...
      Very nice result. none out of 6 solars near my area has Instantaneous Power over 5kW peak today, must be a real nice n clear sunny day

Comment

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
        Very nice result. none out of 6 solars near my area has Instantaneous Power over 5kW peak today, must be a real nice n clear sunny day
        FWIW, 02/07 and 02/08 were about as sunny as it gets for those dates in 92026. Your air looked a bit crappy today.

Comment

Yes, it was a very sunny weekend here in 92071. We had a little marine layer this morning, but it's burning off pretty quickly. Unfortunately, no word from the city or SDG&E.
          24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

Yes, it was a very sunny weekend here in 92071. We had a little marine layer this morning, but it's burning off pretty quickly. Unfortunately, no word from the city or SDG&E.
            FWIW, I and others in my HOA have had some luck gently nudging SDG & E by phone. I waited a about a week as I recall after county sign off and then called. SDG & E auth. arrived the next day. Coincidence maybe. A couple of neighbors tell of similar outcomes.

Comment

I'll go to the meter and see if the arrow is going backward. If it does, then you can offically turn on your solar system because your net metering has started.

Comment

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
                I'll go to the meter and see if the arrow is going backward. If it does, then you can offically turn on your solar system because your net metering has started.
                Net metering was enabled at the meter on the 6th. It now counts backward and shows "delivered" kwh, "received" kwh and -xxxxkw during production hours on the meter. When I look at my usage online at SDG&E, they just show 0 power used during production hours, no credit. My meter is saying one thing, my SDG&E account info another. Maybe this is normal, it's all new to me. At least they didn't bill me for the power I produced...

Comment

Lockable Safety Switch

Hi Eric,

Looking at your pix from 2/5/15, the shot showing the wiring inside the inverter safety switch, with the main service panel to it's right did not show an additional box, known as a lockable safety switch. Does SDG&E not require one? Where I live, SCE requires a separate switch that the Fire Department can access in an emergency, & lock-out the PV system to prevent injury to emergency personnel. BTW, I have been tracking your posts, as I am designing a PV system very close to your install ( 24 LG305N1C-B3 Panels, 24 SE P400 Optimizers, SE7600A Inverter, SE1000-WIFI-01 Zigbee & Midnite MNPV-4 Combiner ). Because my roof-top is small and horribly shaded, I will be ground-mounting the array & combiner behind ( due South ) the house on an acre of bare ground, using schedule-40 2" GRC pipe & IronRidge racking components.

Garry

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsider View Post
                    Hi Eric,

Looking at your pix from 2/5/15, the shot showing the wiring inside the inverter safety switch, with the main service panel to it's right did not show an additional box, known as a lockable safety switch.
                    In the pic labeled "Safety Switch", the center component is a DC disconnect switch. Once the cover is installed, the switch can be locked in the OFF position. Once this switch is in the OFF position, the max voltage of a string is 1vdc per DC optimizer. This switch is included with the SE7600A and meets the lockout requirement as far as SDG&E is concerned. On the AC side, the service panel door is lockout compatible.

Comment

SDG&E does not usually require a lockable switch. From their net metering terms and conditions:

A description and location of the visible, lockable AC disconnect switch if present.

Effective January 01, 2010, customers installing inverter-based systems will no longer be required to include an AC disconnect switch when the facility has a self-contained electric revenue meter (i.e., 0-320 amp socket-based meters or 400 amp K-based meters). This type of meter is used by the vast majority of all SDG&E customers.
                      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Lockable Safety Switch-Reviewsd

Yep, it looks like I'm screwed! I reviewed SCE's net metering handbook, & unless my main breaker is on the same panel as their revenue meter, a separate lockable manually operable safety switch must be provided. I will be replacing my two "ancient" breaker-boxes ( no main-breaker, only 12 branch breakers ) with a new outdoor load center. I originally was considering a 200A Square-D load center, but though convertible, it was not "reversible" ( suitable for bottom-feeding the main-breaker ). The unit I settled on is a Siemens PW2040L1200CU, which will be de-rated with a 150A Main Breaker kit. The PV array will be back-fed through a Siemens Q240 40A 2-pole breaker, at the top of the panel. For some reason, Siemens does not offer a lockable cover with their PL Series load centers.

Comment

After a short delay (plans were returned due to insufficient documentation of panel/racking fire rating), I finally turned the system on last week. Here's the output for the first full week. Had a little marine layer the morning of the 9th, then clouds came in the afternoon of the 10th and stayed all day on the 11th. Total AC produced over 7 days was 295kwh. Best day was 46.3kwh on the 8th, average day was 42.1kwh.

first week.jpg

Comment

After a short delay (plans were returned due to insufficient documentation of panel/racking fire rating), I finally turned the system on last week. Here's the output for the first full week. Had a little marine layer the morning of the 9th, then clouds came in the afternoon of the 10th and stayed all day on the 11th. Total AC produced over 7 days was 295kwh. Best day was 46.3kwh on the 8th, average day was 42.1kwh.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6049[/ATTACH]
                            Eric:

FYI and FWIW: For the most part, sounds like we have similar orientations and tilts. Your array is 1.37 times larger than mine. You're LG, I'm Sunpower. Your daily output in mostly sunny weather for 03/06 -03/13/15 is approx. 1.45-1.5 times my output for the same days.

Even accounting for my 18 mo. older array burn in/degradation allowances, and some weather variation for about a 15 mile separation, it looks like your LG outperforms my S.P by a few %. More anecdotal information that most decent systems, including Sunpower, produce approx. equal output in approx. equal locations and conditions. BTW, your greater LG output/kW is about what SAM predicts for LG vs. S.P.

Comment

Just another point of reference from Carlsbad, CA. Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

My 16x300W LG produced 211.47 KWh in the same period. But the orientation is slightly different. My array points to SW vs yours S. So the morning overcast would affect you slightly more. The peak power matches perfectly though as expected. Cheers on your new system!
                              16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

With regard to the daily energy reported by solaredge inverters, I've been collecting evidence that they systemically inflate the total by about 3%. On clear days, a more accurate total can be generated by summing the reported 15 min power readings. More to come.
                                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
                                X