X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bikerscum
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

My guess is the extra $$ gets you a software change lol.

Given the evidence I see no reason to ever get the 5k over the 6k. In my case with panels facing every which way it'll never make a difference, but if you're close to clipping it sure could.

Cheers.
    6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• thejq
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Bikerscum
      My guess is the extra $$ gets you a software change lol.

Given the evidence I see no reason to ever get the 5k over the 6k. In my case with panels facing every which way it'll never make a difference, but if you're close to clipping it sure could.

Cheers.
      That $30 buys me a peace of mind and maybe some expandability if I ever need it. However small the difference is, SolarEdge thinks it's worth 600 watts more of power head room
      16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• silversaver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by thejq
        That $30 buys me a peace of mind and maybe some expandability if I ever need it. However small the difference is, SolarEdge thinks it's worth 600 watts more of power head room
        It is too early to determine the answer. If he doesn't expand his arrays in next few years, lets see what happen..... 4.8kW DC arrays with 6kW inverter = Nominal power ratio: 131 %. Most of inverter manufactures recommending between 82% to 120%.

Comment

• Bikerscum
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2014

I was agreeing with you, guess I didn't say it right.

I thing the 5k unit is a V8 engine running on 7 cylinders.

For the $30 they give you the extra spark plug.

Comment

• thejq
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Bikerscum
            I was agreeing with you, guess I didn't say it right.

I thing the 5k unit is a V8 engine running on 7 cylinders.

For the $30 they give you the extra spark plug.
            Yeah, I understood you well. And agree with you the two are probably the same. How's your own installation? Haven't seen update from your thread for a while.

Comment

• Bikerscum
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2014

Yeah, I understood you well. And agree with you the two are probably the same. How's your own installation? Haven't seen update from your thread for a while.
              Installation done Wed., inspection coming Monday am.

I'll put up some pics in the other thread this weekend.

Comment

• karlf
                • Jun 2014

Wow, just got the SDG&E's authorization letter (via email) to operate. So it took only 3 days (09/02 - 09/05) to pass city inspection, enable net metering and receive the authorization letter. They must have really gotten the process greased. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work. Have to wait until tomorrow to try it.
                Really? I've been waiting 8 days for SDGE to come out. The whole process has dragged forever...

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by karlf
                  Really? I've been waiting 8 days for SDGE to come out. The whole process has dragged forever...
                  Folks have had some luck calling them. What does the vendor say ?

Comment

• thejq
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by karlf
                    What stage are you in? Have you gotten net metering enabled? Did you sign up your account online? -- it helps to speed up things using email. SDGE may or may not come at all, in fact they don't need to.

Comment

• nomadh
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2014

Hello San Dieagans. I'm still looking at my options for solar. A year ago I was considering a lease but got too busy to peruse the idea. Was almost sold on ppa just recently with solarcity but want more flexibility and not be paying for 20 years. Got a couple local contractors to look at it and one was offering enphase at a good price I thought. About 5.7 kw AC for $16k after 30% tax off. So about $2.8/kw I guess. Everyone throws around $/kw but never mentions AC or DC or pre or post incentives. Is there a standard? Anyway I'm still working on it and I ran across the Sunnyboy string inverter with emergency power of 1.5 kw during grid outage. I'm actually now considering 1/2 enphase for the shade part and 1/2 sunnyboy so I can have emergency power. solarelectricsupply consultant so far thinks its a money saving and very compatible compromise. Just wondering if any of you have done something like this or see any problems with it.
                      I look forward to seeing details on your installs and comparing notes in the future.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nomadh
                        Got a couple local contractors to look at it and one was offering enphase at a good price I thought. About 5.7 kw AC for $16k after 30% tax off. So about $2.8/kw I guess. Everyone throws around $/kw but never mentions AC or DC or pre or post incentives. Is there a standard?
                        As described by J.P.M. and others in several other threads:

Example: system cost paid to vendor : $25,000. System size = 5,000 nameplate (D.C.) Watts. Cost/Watt = $25,000/5,000 Watts = $5.00/Watt.

Starting with total costs puts all on the same footing and helps avoid pricing confusion when others are offering (usually) informed opinions. Knowledgeable folks are giving you free advice, yours to take/leave as you wish. Helping them out seems a considerate thing to do in my book.
                        In other words, use the nameplate rating (DC) and the pre-incentive costs to calculate the $ / W. It would be better to start a new thread to discuss your system.
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• thejq
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by nomadh
                          Hello San Dieagans. I'm still looking at my options for solar. A year ago I was considering a lease but got too busy to peruse the idea. Was almost sold on ppa just recently with solarcity but want more flexibility and not be paying for 20 years. Got a couple local contractors to look at it and one was offering enphase at a good price I thought. About 5.7 kw AC for $16k after 30% tax off. So about $2.8/kw I guess. Everyone throws around $/kw but never mentions AC or DC or pre or post incentives. Is there a standard? Anyway I'm still working on it and I ran across the Sunnyboy string inverter with emergency power of 1.5 kw during grid outage. I'm actually now considering 1/2 enphase for the shade part and 1/2 sunnyboy so I can have emergency power. solarelectricsupply consultant so far thinks its a money saving and very compatible compromise. Just wondering if any of you have done something like this or see any problems with it.
                          I look forward to seeing details on your installs and comparing notes in the future.
                          The convention is to quote pre-incentive $$$ per rated DC watt. It's because different region has different rebate. DC to AC efficiency is not standard either. In SD, a good starting point is $3.5/watt. Most good negotiator on a good day (installer is not back logged) can get it lower by $0.1-$0.2. Any lower, I'd question the bankability and integrity of the installer.

Comment

• nomadh
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2014

Thanks. I read many threads but never saw a "standard" way to rate $/watt. Sorry to threadjump a bit. I think I just got a bit excited to see a cluster of Sd people doing solar. I'll calm down now Looking forward to your further posts.

Comment

• thejq
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2014

Considering SDGE charges one of highest utility rates in the country (if not THE highest), and the abundant sunlight we get in SoCal, I'm not surprised at all that many San Diegans have come to the same conclusion as we. With net metering projected to close sometime in 2015 (for SDGE) and Fed 30% tax credit in 2016 (if not extended again), don't wait for too long before jumping the fence. Otherwise you might find yourself having to compete with a rush of procrastinator.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Considering SDGE charges one of highest utility rates in the country (if not THE highest), and the abundant sunlight we get in SoCal, I'm not surprised at all that many San Diegans have come to the same conclusion as we. With net metering projected to close sometime in 2015 (for SDGE) and Fed 30% tax credit in 2016 (if not extended again), don't wait for too long before jumping the fence. Otherwise you might find yourself having to compete with a rush of procrastinator.
                                For the higher tiers maybe - 95% of the public have little interest or no chance if you step back and look at the solar PV concept clearly.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...