Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Brands would you use to build a 7.5kWh system??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mihzyd777
    replied
    Originally posted by silversaver View Post
    none of the above. I don't think the installation job is all that difficult after research on google and youtube, but I think with the amount of time spend on solar project, I'll be better off making more money in my own profession.

Solarworld, Suniva, LG, Canadian Solar...etc they are pretty much the same in my book, but I'm not sure if the manufacture will deal with private party when it come to warranty replacement. same to inverter.

I like transformerless inverter (smaller and runs cooler), but not sure about durability. You probably need 2 inverters for your setup if you want SMA, unless you install them on same roof.

Type of racking is personal preference. most of them giving you the option to install high or low. The stand off distance is on manufacture website.

you can find monitoring unit from the inverter manufacture. Or TED5000, the cheapest way.

If you have doing your research for 2 years, I think you have your mind set already.
    Well what I've been quoted is a single phase Solaredge 7.6kWh inverter that should handle the load. I'm planning on wiring everything off that one inverter.....Any recommendations? Also the majority (approx. 20 modules will go on my southern rooftop and the rest on the west about 12-15' ft. away. This should be fine right? Just want to confirm.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• silversaver
    replied
    Originally posted by mihzyd777 View Post
    So do you work for a solar company or have your own? Yes I've done my research for over 2 years now. I am installing this myself. I have no issues with doing so as I am an engineer and think I have plenty of knowledge and sure I can figure it out.

So back to the original questions I guess....which brand? I already have mine in mind, and wanted to see what everyone else would rate brands.

Thanks
    none of the above. I don't think the installation job is all that difficult after research on google and youtube, but I think with the amount of time spend on solar project, I'll be better off making more money in my own profession.

Solarworld, Suniva, LG, Canadian Solar...etc they are pretty much the same in my book, but I'm not sure if the manufacture will deal with private party when it come to warranty replacement. same to inverter.

I like transformerless inverter (smaller and runs cooler), but not sure about durability. You probably need 2 inverters for your setup if you want SMA, unless you install them on same roof.

Type of racking is personal preference. most of them giving you the option to install high or low. The stand off distance is on manufacture website.

you can find monitoring unit from the inverter manufacture. Or TED5000, the cheapest way.

If you have doing your research for 2 years, I think you have your mind set already.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    I re-roofed with new shingles over old, before installing my GT system. If your shingles are more than 5 years old, put a fresh layer on, and you won't have to worry. I had the solar crew work with the roof crew, to install the roof jacks over the solar mounts, to make them really watertight.

Inverters, I prefer fanless, and if monitoring is important for you, make sure the interface is what you can use.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    J.P.M - Thanks for the response!! Much appreciated man. So those SMA optimizers are tanks ehh The only thing I heard those was that their interface is not as good as the Solaredge.....any experience with that? Or can anyone here comment. I think a good Web GUI is important to accurately monitor something that costs Thousands and give you accurate real time info.

Also on the roof inspection I already have that planned out for sure. Thanks for lookin out!
    Actually, I was writing of the SMA inverters. Just opinion, no more than that.

Holler back as your needs dictate.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• mihzyd777
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    Final on my choice: Non Sunpower, string inverter system. Depending in space, not the highest Wattage of any particular panel will get you a decent warranty for maybe less money, but probably same quality as higher Wattage panel from same manufacturer - i.e. an LG275 may be a bit less/Watt than an LG300 for the same overall system size -just not the latest/greatest. Panel (only) preference in no particular order: Kyocera, Solarworld, LG, Canadian Solar. LG may have deepest pockets to weather the future - who knows ? Inverters: SMA, Power One. SMA inveters seem built like tanks. I can't speak to inverter quality with any knowledge/authority. None have failed/caused problems around here yet. As for who's around in 10 yrs., maybe all of them, maybe none. Pay your money, take your choice.

After that, I'd put most effort into the vendor choice if you decide to the vendor installed route. Reduced Wattage/panel means probably 2-3 extra panels of lower Wattage for same system size. but if $.10/Watt less, $750-$800 less for panels, a bit more for other mat./labor. Might work out. If you buy lower Wattage panels for same size system, the result may be you'll spend less on equipment but that might leave more $$ for a better quality job and still get a decent, fair price from a top notch vendor which is cheap insurance. Terrible to pay too much, worse to pay too little.

Good luck.

I'll be curious to hear how you do.

P.S.: GET YOUR ROOF INSPECTED/ SERVICED AS NEEDED. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THIS AREA.
    J.P.M - Thanks for the response!! Much appreciated man. So those SMA optimizers are tanks ehh The only thing I heard those was that their interface is not as good as the Solaredge.....any experience with that? Or can anyone here comment. I think a good Web GUI is important to accurately monitor something that costs Thousands and give you accurate real time info.

Also on the roof inspection I already have that planned out for sure. Thanks for lookin out!

Leave a comment:

• mihzyd777
    replied
    Originally posted by silversaver View Post
    self install?

Do you have enough space for a 7.5kW system? Avoid self install if you need to come here asking questions. Most likely you have no idea what you are doing. Shop for best price and vendor.
    So do you work for a solar company or have your own? Yes I've done my research for over 2 years now. I am installing this myself. I have no issues with doing so as I am an engineer and think I have plenty of knowledge and sure I can figure it out.

So back to the original questions I guess....which brand? I already have mine in mind, and wanted to see what everyone else would rate brands.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Ok everyone...I'm rethinking and my mind is turning. I'm moving money and sucking it up and doing it all at once rather than in small pieces.

Soooooooooo.....question is if you had a home built in 2001 that is 1987 sq. ft. and had a Cement flat tile roof, and most of the roof space faced South with the remainder facing West, what brands would you go with to build a 7.5kWh to 8kWh solar system??

I'm looking at Solarworld Panels and SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers and the upgraded IronRidge XRS rail kit for less drilling on roof with quick hooks.

Is there another brand I should look at that is just as good or better for the same price that I can get Solarworld or Solar Edge for? I.E. - The 300 watt LG Modules? Yingli Solar? Canadian Solar? Astornergy? Inphase Micro-inverters? SMA Inverter/Optimizers? What do you think?

Look for everyone's opinion here. Also if I am installing all myself, what should be a "Ball Park" amount I should pay?

Thanks!

Mike
    Final on my choice: Non Sunpower, string inverter system. Depending in space, not the highest Wattage of any particular panel will get you a decent warranty for maybe less money, but probably same quality as higher Wattage panel from same manufacturer - i.e. an LG275 may be a bit less/Watt than an LG300 for the same overall system size -just not the latest/greatest. Panel (only) preference in no particular order: Kyocera, Solarworld, LG, Canadian Solar. LG may have deepest pockets to weather the future - who knows ? Inverters: SMA, Power One. SMA inveters seem built like tanks. I can't speak to inverter quality with any knowledge/authority. None have failed/caused problems around here yet. As for who's around in 10 yrs., maybe all of them, maybe none. Pay your money, take your choice.

After that, I'd put most effort into the vendor choice if you decide to the vendor installed route. Reduced Wattage/panel means probably 2-3 extra panels of lower Wattage for same system size. but if $.10/Watt less, $750-$800 less for panels, a bit more for other mat./labor. Might work out. If you buy lower Wattage panels for same size system, the result may be you'll spend less on equipment but that might leave more $$ for a better quality job and still get a decent, fair price from a top notch vendor which is cheap insurance. Terrible to pay too much, worse to pay too little.

Good luck.

I'll be curious to hear how you do.

P.S.: GET YOUR ROOF INSPECTED/ SERVICED AS NEEDED. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THIS AREA.

Leave a comment:

• silversaver
    replied
    self install?

Do you have enough space for a 7.5kW system? Avoid self install if you need to come here asking questions. Most likely you have no idea what you are doing. Shop for best price and vendor.

Leave a comment:

• What Brands would you use to build a 7.5kWh system??

Ok everyone...I'm rethinking and my mind is turning. I'm moving money and sucking it up and doing it all at once rather than in small pieces.

Soooooooooo.....question is if you had a home built in 2001 that is 1987 sq. ft. and had a Cement flat tile roof, and most of the roof space faced South with the remainder facing West, what brands would you go with to build a 7.5kWh to 8kWh solar system??

I'm looking at Solarworld Panels and SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers and the upgraded IronRidge XRS rail kit for less drilling on roof with quick hooks.

Is there another brand I should look at that is just as good or better for the same price that I can get Solarworld or Solar Edge for? I.E. - The 300 watt LG Modules? Yingli Solar? Canadian Solar? Astornergy? Inphase Micro-inverters? SMA Inverter/Optimizers? What do you think?

Look for everyone's opinion here. Also if I am installing all myself, what should be a "Ball Park" amount I should pay?

Thanks!

Mike
Working...
X