X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • df0rster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2018

Outback Skybox voltage range question

I have the inverter ordered! and my panels and other equipment on the way.

I had asked the sales engineer at Renvu to look over my system as they helped me with the design. I noticed that the skybox voltage range says 200-600v. I ordered 14-380watt panels after discussion with the engineer. That would put me slightly above the 5kw rating at max output. He said this is fine and common to be slightly over at max.

However, something in the skybox quick start guide has me concerned. It says the skybox will connect to the PV array if the voltage is above 250 vdc. if I use 2 strings of 7 48v panels, I may drop below 250v at max output according to my Solar Design Tool project I put together. It says I may be at 237 vdc at max temperature (range is 237-386) using two strings of 7 panels. So I initially thought I'd be ok with the skybox specs saying 200-600v, except on that quick setup guide where is says 250vdc to connect..

Will I run into any issues with this setup?

Thanks!

• Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

I have a Skybox and remember that 200 vs 250 volt ambiguity. I looked at some recent voltage sweeps and the lowest voltage registerered on my system was 230 volts so something was happening in terms of generation. I have not seen any questions about that on the Outback Power user forum. I am running 7 used Sunpower 300 Watt panels. I have not seen any issues on hot days. I would be worried less about that than overvolting my inverter by going to 14 panels in series.
    Do your panel specs list a MPPT voltage?
    Last edited by Ampster; 01-23-2021, 12:41 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• df0rster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Ampster
      I have a Skybox and remember that 200 vs 250 volt ambiguity. I looked at some recent voltage sweeps and the lowest voltage registerered on my system was 230 volts so something was happening in terms of generation. I have not seen any questions about that on the Outback Power user forum. I am running 7 used Sunpower 300 Watt panels. I have not seen any issues on hot days. I would be worried less about that than overvolting my inverter by going to 14 panels in series.
      Do your panel specs list a MPPT voltage?
      Exactly my thoughts. I don’t want to go over 600v of that could damage the inverter. Glad to know it does work below 250 vdc.

The panel specs show 40v @ Max power, 48v open circuit and 1500 volt max system. I’m not sure what mppt voltage is.

Funny thing is the solar design tool website also gives a warning about my 7 panel string being under the 250 volt min. If I run into issues I’ll definitely be contacting outback and renvu.

thanks!

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

It will still work below 250V but the max power tracking will not work. So the hottest days, you may loose a bit of harvest, but you will be assured to not loose an inverter to over voltage in the winter .
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• df0rster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
          It will still work below 250V but the max power tracking will not work. So the hottest days, you may loose a bit of harvest, but you will be assured to not loose an inverter to over voltage in the winter .
          What is the max power tracking?

im sure I’ll have to read the manual before I start. It’s on the way via UPS!

Comment

Working...