X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veger70
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    I guess my question is will your battery system provide you all of the kWh you need each day even if the solar panels are not producing?

My guess is that if you get a few days of clouds you will end up purchasing power from your POCO even if you do over produce yearly. Also during the winter your panels will be producing a lot less during the day time which may lead to purchasing power. Is that going to be ok with either POCO or will you be charged by SCP?
    I believe with two batteries we will be able to go a week or more on battery power at least that was the plan with CA rolling blackouts and cutting power for fires. depending on our power use.

Leave a comment:

• Veger70
    replied
    Originally posted by bob-n View Post
    Sean,

Did your power company replace your meter with a netmeter? A netmeter records excess power you generate (like mid-day when you're not using as much power as you generate) separately from power you consume from the grid (like at night when you use power). These are recorded on an instant basis, not subtracted from each other.

You can tell the netmeter by looking at it. It will have a display that shows the two different accumulations.

With a netmeter, you have three charges on your bill:
    1) Rate for excess you produce and send to the grid for your neighbors
    2) Rate for power you consume from the grid
    3) Rate to rent the meter, wires, etc.
    Different power companies will have different rates for those. Ask both companies. That will help you find out which is the better deal.

In my area, the main power company was a bit more expensive for normal customers, but a better deal for netmeter customers because they gave me a significantly higher reimbursement for energy I produced.

If you don't have a netmeter, something's fishy.
    We are on a net meter yes

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    I guess my question is will your battery system provide you all of the kWh you need each day even if the solar panels are not producing?

My guess is that if you get a few days of clouds you will end up purchasing power from your POCO even if you do over produce yearly. Also during the winter your panels will be producing a lot less during the day time which may lead to purchasing power. Is that going to be ok with either POCO or will you be charged by SCP?

Leave a comment:

• bob-n
    replied
    Sean,

Did your power company replace your meter with a netmeter? A netmeter records excess power you generate (like mid-day when you're not using as much power as you generate) separately from power you consume from the grid (like at night when you use power). These are recorded on an instant basis, not subtracted from each other.

You can tell the netmeter by looking at it. It will have a display that shows the two different accumulations.

With a netmeter, you have three charges on your bill:
    1) Rate for excess you produce and send to the grid for your neighbors
    2) Rate for power you consume from the grid
    3) Rate to rent the meter, wires, etc.
    Different power companies will have different rates for those. Ask both companies. That will help you find out which is the better deal.

In my area, the main power company was a bit more expensive for normal customers, but a better deal for netmeter customers because they gave me a significantly higher reimbursement for energy I produced.

If you don't have a netmeter, something's fishy.

Leave a comment:

• Veger70
    replied
    Info about my system:
    PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:
    SYSTEM SIZE-10.880KW DC|7.600KW AC
    MODULE TYPE&AMOUNT-(34)Jinko Solar JKM320M-60HBL WITH 34 SolarEdge P320 OPTIMIZERS
    MODULE DIMENSIONS-(L/W/H)66.3"/39.45"/1.38"
    INVERTER-(2)SolarEdge Technologies SE7600A-USS2RNCY2
    BATTERY-(2) LG CHEM RESU10H WITH 5.000 KW DCI 9.80 kWh PV STORAGE CAPACITY
    INTERCONNECTION METHOD(GRID-TIED)-LOAD BREAKER

Leave a comment:

• Veger70
    started a topic New to solar

New to solar

Hi my name is Sean,
    We just had a Vivint Solar system installed with two batteries that should produce 15% more power than we currently use. My question was we are currently receiving power thru Sonoma Clean Power but the Vivint guy who set up our system suggested we switch back to PG&E I’ve tried to do research but info is hard to come by. I think SCP rates are slightly lower and the double PG&E rates when settling up at the end of the year. The only down side I could see is SCP each month charges you if you use energy off the grid beyond what your panels produce but PG&E just settles up at the end of the year. Since we should be producing more power than we use that shouldn’t be an issue right? Any info or good source for research would be appreciated!
Working...
X