Optimizers for used Sunpower panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizers for used Sunpower panels

I recently installed an Outback Skybox with a small battery pack. Originally I was planning on waiting until Spring to evaluate whether to add more battery capacity or add some solar. I already have a grid tied system. I recently discovered an opportunity to acquire some 10 year old Sunpower 305 Watt panels for $90. The West facing patio cover where I propose to install them has some shading in the late afternoon.

I have evaluated the financial benefits and the risks associated with buying used panels. I also don't intend or need to take the investment credit on this purchase. I am looking for input about the use of optimizers to possibly compensate for some of the potential shading that this location may have. I have read that Solaredge optimozers may work but I wont have any of the powerline data available. I have heard of other optimizers that may be less expensive. Any ideas about optimizers for this situation? FWIW, these panels put out 54v and I plan on employing 8 or 10 of them in series which is within the voltage range of the Skybox.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

a good option is the SMA Tigo solution
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
      a good option is the SMA Tigo solution
      Thanks, I looked into Tigo optimizers and it looks like I might be able the use them and would only have to optimize the panels that would get shaded. I will research some more.

Comment

I found several vendors that sell the Tigo optimizers and they are less expensive than Solaredge optimizers. In my installation on top of a patio shade structure there is easy access from below and the Tigo's look like they are easy to retrofit by clipping on to the bottom of the panels.
        Last edited by Ampster; 01-05-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
          I found several vendors that sell the Tigo optimizers and they are less expensive than Solaredge optimizers. In my installation on a shade structure there is easy access from below and the Tigo's look like they are easy to retrofit by clipping on to the bottom of the panels.
          Maybe, maybe not. So try it and see. Maybe someone can benefit by you actually trying something and then you reporting what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Maybe, maybe not. So try it and see. Maybe someone can benefit by you actually trying something and then you reporting what happened.
            Yes, this will be an experiment that I will learn from..From my analysis the shading varies by season and affects different panels at different times of year. I do intend to share the results over time, so others can learn by my mistakes or success. I might need only half of this systems capability so I have some flexibility.

Comment

As I continue the process of designing and building this project I realize that I need a Rapid Shutdown Device. Fortunately Tigo makes one that costs about $400. That is a lot less expensive than the Outback option. In addition, if I find I need NEC 2017 module level compliance I can just add 5 more optimizers to the 3 that I already have.

Comment

Working...
              X