Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC Solar Panels....and HYBRID...... myth??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NCmountainsOffgrid View Post
    also, I come from the RVing world, where 'off-grid' solar, generator, and battery Inverter power options
    are just part of the everyday life of using your motorhome - and while I can plug into the 'grid',
    if I lose grid power, my inverter continues providing power to my 'home'... though, the difference
    is that I'm not then sending that power OUT the shore power cord back to the meter.
    that is an off grid inverter in your RV. It is configured usually to handle some loads from battery without the grid.
    RV systems do not send power to the grid, so they rarely have bimodal but just off grid inverters.

look at my first post:

WHY do you want to use micro inverters in your system with the other requirements?
    and further WHY do you want to have the batteries provide power at night, when the grid is functioning?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Thor Palazzo diesel pusher motorhome
      Magnum ME-2012 Inverter/Charger with ME-RC Remote and AGS module
      4) 6v House battery bank in series/parallel 12v
      Onan QD6000 diesel Generator with AGS auto start
      2) 100w Solar with 20amp PWM charge controller
      Shore and Gen power ATS automatic transfer switch
      50amp double-pole 240v shore power cord
      50amp double-pole Main Panel with 30amp Inverter sub-panel
      Intellitec B.I.R.D. bi Directional relay(battery level sensor for battery bank combiner - Charging via Shore, Gen, Alternator)
      to WhiteRodgers 200amp 12v DC Continuous coil(battery bank combiner-Charging)
      Trombetta 12v DC coil with dash-mounted AUX momentary switch(battery bank combiner-Usage)
      RV Custom Products 12v DC Disconnect magnetic latching relay with door-side momentary USE/STORE switch

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
        Unless you are talking about the fictional IQ8??
        I think you, and Enphase, may be on to something! : )

Comment

the idea of the iQ8 ramping back the solar output to the home, when the grid is lost,
          to only what the home needs, is very similar to my Magnum's SearchWatts feature,
          where you can ask it to remain 'silent' until a device or appliance asks for power...
          very nice. I'm liking this ... now let's see what the costs will be : )

Comment

Originally posted by NCmountainsOffgrid View Post
            the idea of the iQ8 ramping back the solar output to the home, when the grid is lost,
            to only what the home needs, is very similar to my Magnum's SearchWatts feature,
            where you can ask it to remain 'silent' until a device or appliance asks for power...
            very nice. I'm liking this ... now let's see what the costs will be : )
            except the IQ8 is a fictional item that may never be available and your Magnum is an off grid battery based inverter. There are MANY off grid and bimodal battery based inverters that can do just what you want.
            The iQ8 has no battery and will only operate during day hours IF it is ever finished and IF it is approved.
            Further if you want to have backup capability with the fictional IQ8 you would need an AC coupled battery which if you had an AC coupled battery, you could do everything today without the IQ8.

You still haven't answered:

WHY do you want to use micro inverters in your system with the other requirements?
            and further WHY do you want to have the batteries provide power at night, when the grid is functioning?

Comment

Most likely the person advocating this didn't have solar and certainly never tried it.
              This person was of the opinion that he could add loads to prevent any overvoltage. I think what would happen in reality is that the grid tie inverters would quickly drive the voltage outside the legal range and the grid tie inverters would shut down as designed. Thus for 99% of the time the extra inverter would be the only thing attempting to drive all the loads in the home.

But in either case, the outcomes vary from bad to worse.

Comment

Unless you are talking about the fictional IQ8??
                I guess I could include Outback's commitment to the kind of AC coupling I am hoping for in that. They said first quarter 2019 but no guaranty about functionality and whether it will work with a Solaredge grid tie inverter. Fortunately I have some optional paths.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                  This person was of the opinion that he could add loads to prevent any overvoltage. I think what would happen in reality is that the grid tie inverters would quickly drive the voltage outside the legal range and the grid tie inverters would shut down as designed. Thus for 99% of the time the extra inverter would be the only thing attempting to drive all the loads in the home.

But in either case, the outcomes vary from bad to worse.
                  This person?
                  Unless the grid tie inverter is designed to do it, how are you going to add loads to prevent any overage in real time?
                  There are very real and logical reasons why AC coupling require a bimodal inverter and battery capable of handling the entire charge from the grid tie inverter AC coupled to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I guess I could include Outback's commitment to the kind of AC coupling I am hoping for in that. They said first quarter 2019 but no guaranty about functionality and whether it will work with a Solaredge grid tie inverter. Fortunately I have some optional paths.
                    What are you talking about? OP is talking about no batteries.
                    OutBack currently has solutions to AC couple but they are a bimodal battery solution. Their older inverters can AC couple with any grid tie now.
                    What they are working on is getting the new inverters to use a more advanced frequency modulation method, but they can still AC couple now.

SolarEdge has a DC coupled solution as well.

All of this seems way off topic from OPs batteryless questions and revised undersized battery question.

Comment

This person?
                      Unless the grid tie inverter is designed to do it, how are you going to add loads to prevent any overage in real time?
                      You're not, of course. It's Bad Idea #4 on the list of bad ideas people new to solar come up with. Along with "I'll buy the panels used then get all the other stuff later because I got a GREAT DEAL" "My pal got me a great deal on barely used car/UPS batteries that have been in a storage unit for 10 years" and "I don't want to run all my loads off my battery based inverter, just my air conditioning and refrigerator."

Comment

while it may not seem a need for batteries - as with any backup power supply, everything can have it's limits - especially in weather events when the grid goes down, there's no sunhours for days, and the generator fuel only lasts for so long..... batteries also may not last forever, but it's just another power supply option for those just-in-case moments.

Comment

Working...
                        X