Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Already planning upgrades: Advice requested from the experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Already planning upgrades: Advice requested from the experts!

Want to first thank a bunch of guys over on my other thread I started...

ButchDeal
    Mike90250
    J.P.M.
    goodoleme

These guys were incredibly helpful, and if you are ever in northern VA let me know so I can take you out for a beer!

I didn't want my original thread to segue into a different topic so I decided to start a new one.

My solar installation company seems to have basically sold me a system, undersized, and with no room for growth, so upgrades are in the works!

I have a 7.2kw solar array, with an XW+6848, and 2 MPPT 60-150. (All Schneider gear)

the battery bank they recommended was 1/2 the bare minimum required, and after goodolme broke down the numbers the CCs aren't adequate either.

I wanted to add more panels come next spring, but I'm not sure if I can without getting another inverter. I was planning on getting 4 more panels which would be another 1.2kw (4 x 300w Hanwha Q-Cells to stay uniform) but that would in theory put me over the inverters max capability. I was reading up on "Stacking" inverters and general rule is like with anything else, get the same of what you have. All this sound about right to you experts?

Originally posted by DickyDck View Post
    Want to first thank a bunch of guys over on my other thread I started...

ButchDeal
    Mike90250
    J.P.M.
    goodoleme

These guys were incredibly helpful, and if you are ever in northern VA let me know so I can take you out for a beer!
    I think the only thing I did on that thread was bust neweclipse's onions about low buck being the only criterion most folks use when buying durable goods. But I'm planning on being in VA - D.C., Shenandoah Valley, Williamsburg, etc., maybe in the spring. The beer is out but the sentiment is appreciated. Too bad I took the pledge in 1982 or 1983. (Can't remember which as I was drunk most of those years.)

Comment

A coke soda and a steak can be substituted I actually live in what can be considered the "Shenandoah Valley" near the Winchester area

Comment

A coke soda and a steak can be substituted I actually live in what can be considered the "Shenandoah Valley" near the Winchester area
        I dont need a drink or steak but if you come to Shepherdstown WV ( close by) look me up around town. My system is Outback power but similar.
        Last edited by ButchDeal; 11-04-2018, 06:48 PM.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

If I was to live elsewhere from where I am, I'd be in the Shenandoah Valley. About as pretty a place as exists on this planet, especially in the spring.

Comment

Doubt I'll ever find myself in VA, but thanks for the offer. be sure you have a decent generator that can keep your batteries charged up this winter,
            bulk the batteries in the AM, and let the solar top them off 11am -2pm
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
              I dont need a drink or steak but if you come to Sheoherdstown WV ( close by) look me up around town. My system is Outback power but similar.
              Well you might need a drink to drown your sorrows come 11-23 when we send the Sooners to spank Mountaineers on their home field.

MSEE, PE

Comment

I don't know when I will ever be in VA, but if you come down to FL and want to grab a drink and steak im down! Thanks for saying thank you in the way you did!

Comment

LOL, we got sidetracked on places to grab dinner

Back to the subject at hand, my research points to "possibly" needed another inverter. I already am planning another Charge Controller (still debating on HVCC or just another 60-150) what are my options on a CC? I'd like to stick with Schneider to keep everything the same make/brand but it seems like another 6848 would be overkill, but would allow for more panels down the line. Does anyone know if I can stack 2 6848s? would they just then split the load from the incoming current from what would be 28 panels, maybe 32 since they left me enough pole room on both sides for 4 on each side.

Comment

You can go up to 100KW with the 6848s. I would keep everything Schneider, when the inverter is in grid support mode it needs to communicate with the ccs via the Xanbus. I would not get another XW before I got a 440+ah bat-bank and HVCCs and I would not do 3 60-150s over 2 80-600s. Did you get the PDPs (Power Distribution Panel) with your setup?

Take Care,
                    Neil

Comment

Let me google what a PDP looks like, but I don't see it on my estimate so I doubt it. They did put in a separate critical loads panel, but I am pretty sure that's not what you are referring to?

Comment

OK, so yes there is the PDP there, right under the inverter, there is only one though and you asked about PDPs plural, should there be more?

Comment

Working...
                        X