Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tecnico
    • Apr 2018

Need sugestions, advice for new solar system candidate

Hello , new here in the forum from Puerto Rico and after Maria we need to have things prepared in the event of power loss , so was considering a portable generator maybe like the yeti 1400 o or the kodiak, both very portable and solar powered, but the past event left many with months without electricity, and reading the specs max 2000 cycles for the kodiak and 600 for the yeti , dont think they will last long with so many charge and discharges in any case maybe would work for one season of months with out electricity and then after reading both dont have replacebale batt. that would mean investing again more money in another portable generator.

So was considreing maybe a standard solar system could be a better option , would cost more : / , but think it will be more reliable , right : ) ?
    well my data are that i consume monthly aprox 125 to 150 max kwh per month, we dont have elctric stoves or microwaves or hair dryers, only tv , radios , laptops, cell phones, led light bulbs on all our lamps, and a 16 c/feet single door fridgefreezer, a washing machine , and water head electric water heater , all this aplliances 110 v., we have a 5.53 hrs of sun aprox

using some off grid calculators says

Watt Hours per Day: 4,700

How many days of backup power do you want in case of cloudy/rainy days?
    (when your solar panels will produce little energy) i said 2
    RESULTS:

Battery Bank Capacity: 23783 watt hours
    The total wattage of Solar Panels that you need is:1.1 kw
    4 panels of 315 for 1260 watts

been considreing mono over poly cuz read mono is better for places with lots of sun and here in PR we have a lot ; )

and how many batt would i need ? 4 ?

so do you think this base configuration is good for my electric load ?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

If you consider your fridge your critical load. and forgo the electric water heater, you could cut a lot out of your energy budget.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• tecnico
      • Apr 2018

Ok the water heater is necessary cuz elder people use it and the reason for the solar system is for the various days months prepardness in case of blackouts

Comment

• camilo
        • Apr 2018

I would try to steer away from trying to heat the water from the same PV system that you are trying to feed other loads in the home with. I also think Thermal would be cheaper in your situation, even connecting 4 or 5 long water hoses together and laying them out in the yard or up on the roof would make more sense than trying to battery backup a water heater.

Is there anywhere that you could get a couple of thermal hot water panels, some copper piping, a pump and a small pv panel to power that pump ??? Are you guys getting deliveries now a days? Could order that stuff from the internet.
        Last edited by camilo; 04-26-2018, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tecnico
          Ok the water heater is necessary cuz elder people use it and the reason for the solar system is for the various days months prepardness in case of blackouts
          Consider a solar thermal batch heater. No electricity needed.

BTW: younger folks use hot water as well.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by tecnico
            are you saying that the water heater is considered "Critical" because the people are OLD?

I find this a bit strange. Food is critical, Water is critical, HOT water is optional.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...