X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcondemn
    • Jan 2018

3.54 kW Grid tie, Enphase micros (IQ6, IQ6+) + possible Enphase AC battery

Currently in the planning stages.
    My main question so far, if I were to add the Enphase AC battery (1.2 kWhr), will I be able to run lights and a refrigerator during power outages?

House:
    2500 sq ft, 2009 build, 4600 kWh/year usage, 8/12 roof, south facing roof.

Planned system:
    ~3.54 kW grid tie solar, roof mount, DIY install (I am a mechanical engineer, PE, not that any of that qualifies me, just more brave!) Planning on Enphase microinverter (maybe the IQ7's will be out soon) since I will get slight-slight shading, lots of snow, and ease of expansion when as used EV is purchased years from now. Enphase combiner box, ~$500 includes the Envoy gateway and supposedly battery ready

Economics:
    30% federal, obviously
    Xcel energy $0.08/kWhr production incentive for 10 years
    Net metering (this is why I am not over-sizing the system).

I am pretty happy with the system plan so far, 5-6 year payback based on SAM runs.

My main question so far, if I were to add the Enphase AC battery (1.2 kWhr), will I be able to run lights and a refrigerator during power outages? Assuming I disconnect the array from the grid and breaker off most of the loads. Living in the metro area, we seem to get power outages once per year in the summer due to trees on the lines, lasting 1-2 days. I know $1,900 seems steep for a limited use back-up battery (anyone see better prices?) but I would like the peace of mind. Plus I don't want to buy a generator, my cylinder count is already way too high, need to start reducing (18 cylinders currently!).

Thanks, love this forum

Jim

• J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

For your consideration: Folks often don't give due consideration to snow, it's production penalties, hassles with removal and other things like ice buildup/damming. Half an array that's covered will still have half production, micros or not.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Solar is a terrible backup, and batteries are troublesome with extremely limited capability. PV solar here
      in northern IL supplies all my heat and electricity, but my backup is still a generator I bought 25 years ago.
      Auto changeover and run from natural gas are available, no hassle. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

My main question so far, if I were to add the Enphase AC battery (1.2 kWhr), will I be able to run lights and a refrigerator during power outages?
        Likely, NO. a fridge will easily consume 1.2kwh on it's own, leaving the battery totally flattened. You will need 2 of those batteries. And just to be clear, any company that calls a UPS (inverter & battery) an AC Battery, is instantly suspect as a scam.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jcondemn

My main question so far, if I were to add the Enphase AC battery (1.2 kWhr), will I be able to run lights and a refrigerator during power outages? Assuming I disconnect the array from the grid and breaker off most of the loads. Living in the metro area, we seem to get power outages once per year in the summer due to trees on the lines, lasting 1-2 days. I know $1,900 seems steep for a limited use back-up battery (anyone see better prices?) but I would like the peace of mind. Plus I don't want to buy a generator, my cylinder count is already way too high, need to start reducing (18 cylinders currently!).
          Nope Enphase battery is not a backup solution at all.
          I would suggest you go with the outback or SolarEdge StorEdge
          the StorEdge would be a bit large if an inverter for your current install but would be nice and expandable plus you can get it with EV charger built in.
          you can add the RESU10h battery latter if you like and have backup capability.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...