Cost estimations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost estimations

Hello all I'm a newb obviously. What I have is about 5500 heated sq ft with 3 hvac systems. One split up stairs that very rarely runs because it's not "living space" and the 4 ton packages down stairs run a fair amount. I have a large unobstructed S facing roof that will hold all the panels one could want I would think. My power bill runs about $400/mo including co-op fees, taxes and security down light. Several years ago we have a bad ice storm (live in SC) and lost power for about 3 days. While not the end of the world by any means keeping our "generator farm" fueled to run well, fridge/freezers, and other essentials plus some like TV/SAT/NET was a PIA. I would like to have a system installed that will allow us to be 100% independent and able to not have an issue for the next time around (full disclosure in 37 years I've been w/out power for less than 7 total days, BUT). I looked at a whole home Gen system and for the cost of very nice new 4wd Laramie Bighorn Megacab Ram 2500 I could do that and probably never need the thing lol. Solar seems to give me the same option and pay for itself too boot. What should I expect to pay per KW? Which batteries are worth it and which aren't? Is GAP usually worth it? Anyone have any installers they would recommend or maybe more importantly strongly NOT recommend in the SE, specifically SC? Any other info you provide is appreciated, and if I've left out anything pertinent I apologize. TIA.

Originally posted by Rob_52 View Post
    Hello all I'm a newb obviously. What I have is about 5500 heated sq ft with 3 hvac systems. One split up stairs that very rarely runs because it's not "living space" and the 4 ton packages down stairs run a fair amount. I have a large unobstructed S facing roof that will hold all the panels one could want I would think. My power bill runs about $400/mo including co-op fees, taxes and security down light. Several years ago we have a bad ice storm (live in SC) and lost power for about 3 days. While not the end of the world by any means keeping our "generator farm" fueled to run well, fridge/freezers, and other essentials plus some like TV/SAT/NET was a PIA. I would like to have a system installed that will allow us to be 100% independent and able to not have an issue for the next time around (full disclosure in 37 years I've been w/out power for less than 7 total days, BUT). I looked at a whole home Gen system and for the cost of very nice new 4wd Laramie Bighorn Megacab Ram 2500 I could do that and probably never need the thing lol. Solar seems to give me the same option and pay for itself too boot. What should I expect to pay per KW? Which batteries are worth it and which aren't? Is GAP usually worth it? Anyone have any installers they would recommend or maybe more importantly strongly NOT recommend in the SE, specifically SC? Any other info you provide is appreciated, and if I've left out anything pertinent I apologize. TIA.
    Have you considered grid tied solar (net metering) + generator for blackout? Would probably be cheaper / more reliable than solar + batteries if you have blackout only once in several years.

Comment

Why would reliability be an issue with the gen/batteries? You mean bc of clouds and/or snow/ice on the panels? I want to get away from having to use a gen if possible. Plus with the rebate the Fed and my state are offering it makes a lot more sense imo. Thanks.

Comment

Even with a state rebate the current battery technology ends up costing someone many times more to generate the same amount of kWh that you can purchase from the grid.

Batteries are very expensive and short lived thus making them not a good power source. Especially when you have very high loads and a grid connection.

Comment

Thanks SunEagle. My understanding with a Co-Op Elec is you cannot sell power back to them, but is it correct that if you produce excess it goes back up stream and then you're not charged for usage until you've used more than you produced? IE you produce 1000KW during your billing cycle and only use 650KW during daylight hours and then use another 350Kw after production ceases. Would they get to charge you for the 350 or is it balanced out? I know the numbers might not be close to accurate but I'm just using them for a simple math example. If nothing else I really love to not have to pay the elect co anything other than the connection fee etc.

Comment

Why would reliability be an issue with the gen/batteries? You mean bc of clouds and/or snow/ice on the panels? I want to get away from having to use a gen if possible. Plus with the rebate the Fed and my state are offering it makes a lot more sense imo. Thanks.
            In terms of reliability I think of them in this order:

grid (the highest)
            generator

... big gap here

batteries
            solar

when you start talking about going completely off grid batteries become project on its own and it will require your constant attention if you want to do better than 'blackout once every few years'.

Comment

Thanks SunEagle. My understanding with a Co-Op Elec is you cannot sell power back to them, but is it correct that if you produce excess it goes back up stream and then you're not charged for usage until you've used more than you produced? IE you produce 1000KW during your billing cycle and only use 650KW during daylight hours and then use another 350Kw after production ceases. Would they get to charge you for the 350 or is it balanced out? I know the numbers might not be close to accurate but I'm just using them for a simple math example. If nothing else I really love to not have to pay the elect co anything other than the connection fee etc.
              Well the first statement sounds like Net Metering if they will not charge you if you use the same amount you sent them. The next statement about them charging you for whatever you use at night regardless of what excess you sent them during the day sounds like Zero Net Metering.

I would contact your Co-Op and get their policy concerning solar generation and how you are charged or credited in writing.

Comment

.... lost power for about 3 days. While not the end of the world by any means keeping our "generator farm" fueled to run well, fridge/freezers, and other essentials plus some like TV/SAT/NET was a PIA. I would like to have a system installed that will allow us to be 100% independent and able to not have an issue for the next time around (full disclosure in 37 years I've been w/out power for less than 7 total days, BUT). I looked at a whole home Gen system and for the cost of very nice new 4wd Laramie Bighorn Megacab Ram 2500 I could do that and probably never need the thing lol. Solar seems to give me the same option and pay for itself too boot.......
                Grid tie solar & $15K backup generator would keep you very happy - as long as you change the oil.

Hybrid Grid Tie Solar with battery backup and $12K generator will have you checking battery water monthly , annual oil changes, changing $5K batteries every 5 years, but you never have to reset the blinking 12:00 on digital clocks.

A pad mount 15Kw diesel genset & transfer switch
                These are not bought at Costco or Sams Club
                $11K https://www.norwall.com/products/Gen...erator-RD01523
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                X