X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockyinNM
    • Oct 2016

Generator-OK I heard ya

OK, I got the message, (Sunking) and others--
    I was a half a breath away from pulling the trigger on building a hybrid system-as we are connected to the grid, and we have (many) blips, and power outages from 2 to 8 hrs.
    Soooo, now the big question???
    Who has a (decent) (PROPANE) whole house gen 15kw to 22kw---read Amazon reviews, and they all seem to have sketchy ratings--
    all input appreciated.
    Rocky in NM
    36 evacuated tube, drain back solar hot water
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Quit looking at Amazon and look into Kohler, and GE. Consult local professionals.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by RockyinNM
      OK, I got the message, (Sunking) and others--
      I was a half a breath away from pulling the trigger on building a hybrid system-as we are connected to the grid, and we have (many) blips, and power outages from 2 to 8 hrs.
      Soooo, now the big question???
      Who has a (decent) (PROPANE) whole house gen 15kw to 22kw---read Amazon reviews, and they all seem to have sketchy ratings--
      all input appreciated.
      Rocky in NM
      both Homedepot and Lowes have them
      http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-...atchall&NCNI-5

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Home-standby-generators-Generators-Electrical/4294641572?refinement=4294746886,4294746928,429479 4639

not advocating for either box store but a better selection than amazon
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• sdold
        • Jun 2014

I bought a Kohler 15 REYG about 7 years for one of our solar radio sites, it has been trouble-free so far and runs a lot in the winter, at least once a week. When I was shopping for generators I talked to our old time technicians to get their generator "wish list", and at the top of the list was 1) 1800 rpm instead of 3600 rpm and 2) Not a Generac.

Comment

• RockyinNM
          • Oct 2016

Thanks everyone for the comments,
          I'm also interested in a (1800rpm) LP unit 15kw to 22kw, I was (JUST) looking at Amazon for the (reviews) looking at the Kohler, but do not know yet if it is a LP/1800rpm

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

You are not going to find a 1800 RPM generator using LPG until you hit 24 Kw or larger in Kohler lineup. Everything is going to be 3600 RPM @ 20 Kw and less. Now you can find a lot of diesel genny's @ 1800 and 1500 RPM in all size ranges.

To run 1800 RPM requires a lot of windings which means a much larger frame, weight, and expense.I do no tthink even Generac makes a 1800 RPM genny using LPG at less than 22 Kw.

Kohler does make 1 genny that runs @ 2200 RPM for Off-Grid but is only 5.5 Kw
            Last edited by Sunking; 01-30-2017, 07:02 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• RockyinNM
              • Oct 2016

Thanks Sunking, just getting my feet wet, I had done sooo much reading, on the hybrid, and then bam!--
              Just trying to get my mind around another backup system. I have an all elec. home, with many power hungry (things)--as stated in 1st post, we have at least 1 to 2 outages a month, lasting anywhere from 2 to 8 hrs--(last week-7hrs) I have never seen such a unreliable grid--I tell the wife if a cow farts, we lose power!!!

on a side note: I had located a pallet (21) of 320 watt 72 cell, for .38 cents a watt! free shipping!

Comment

• SWFLA
                • Jan 2017

If your mechanically inclined it's hard to beat a Surplus military diesel

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by adpowerseo
                  if you are looking for best generators or solar panels contact xxxxxxx, you will get the best assistance and answers to all your queries.
                  spam
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM. Reason: removed contact info

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by adpowerseo
                    If you are looking for best generators or solar panels contact xxxxxxxx, you will get the best assistance and answers to all your queries.
                    See ya.
                    Last edited by SunEagle; 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM. Reason: removed contact info
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

To JPM and Littleharbor.

Thanks for the heads-up of this poster. Next time just flag them instead of responding to their post. The Mods will get that notification and act on it. It makes clean up easier.

Comment

• citabria
                        • Oct 2016

You may want to consider a brand of generator that has either local service techs or distributor within a couple of hours drive. I have an Onan Cummins commercial 20KW genset, and it looks like the service tech may have to drive 4.5 hours to get here. So, figure one visit for diagnostics, then a separate visit to complete the repair. Probably about $2,000 to $2,600 in travel costs, before any repair costs are added.

I am in Silver City, and the distributor is located in Albuquerque. El Paso is so much closer, but they can not handle the service call.
                        Last edited by citabria; 01-31-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          To JPM and Littleharbor.

Thanks for the heads-up of this poster. Next time just flag them instead of responding to their post. The Mods will get that notification and act on it. It makes clean up easier.
                          Will do. Thanks.
                          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by citabria
                            You may want to consider a brand of generator that has either local service techs or distributor within a couple of hours drive. .....
                            Ditto on that, I had to drive my genset to the "authorized center" 4 hours each way. had to wait 2 months to combine it into trips, 90 days repair sitting on the shelf for parts

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• RockyinNM
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by citabria
                              You may want to consider a brand of generator that has either local service techs or distributor within a couple of hours drive. I have an Onan Cummins commercial 20KW genset, and it looks like the service tech may have to drive 4.5 hours to get here. So, figure one visit for diagnostics, then a separate visit to complete the repair. Probably about $2,000 to $2,600 in travel costs, before any repair costs are added.

I am in Silver City, and the distributor is located in Albuquerque. El Paso is so much closer, but they can not handle the service call.
                              Hello citabria--I wanted to PM U, but could not figure out how. I also live in Grant Co--lower Mimbres, off of 61 hwy. Would love to share some info.
                              PM me if U can figure it out.
                              Rocky in NM

Comment

Working...