Powerwall 2 with Sunpower microinverters?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donald
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by davehica
    Hello all -- I am planning to install a 4Kw sunpower system with microinverters in the next few months, and would also like to add a battery at some point. However, I'm having a very hard timing finding any info on the feasibility of adding a powerwall 2 to a microinverter system. Does anyone have any info on whether this is possible and, if so, how expensive/difficult it would be?

thanks for the help.

david
    If you are interested in batteries, you probably don't want microinverters. One version of the PW2 will likely work, but it would charge from an AC connection to your service panel. The question is whether it can tell (presumably by talking to a smart meter) when you are exporting electricity.

Tesla sold about 5000 PW1. Not a lot, but not vaporware either.

Comment

• davehica
      • Jan 2017

Well, I disagree that the powerwall 2 is vaporware, as I have a contract in-hand to install one in less than 60 days. However, after reading the responses it seems waiting a few years might be the best option. Planning to go with micro-inverter PV and hold off on the battery for now. thanks for the input.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Well, I disagree that the powerwall 2 is vaporware, as I have a contract in-hand to install one in less than 60 days.
        Then it is still vaporware. Lots of folks with worthless contracts still waiting on V1
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

From what I have read there is another battery manufacturer that is selling them for businesses, military and private homes (if you can afford them).

They are called SimpliPhi Power and they make batteries as well as complete systems with a BMS which should work with either solar or grid connection.

Comment

• adoublee
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
            From what I have read there is another battery manufacturer that is selling them for businesses, military and private homes (if you can afford them).

They are called SimpliPhi Power and they make batteries as well as complete systems with a BMS which should work with either solar or grid connection.
            Likely a quality battery system but limited to 48V. To me this means traditional off-grid charge controllers with baby input voltages and therefore baby string lengths. Combine that with the cost and other solutions look better for home-scale and up IMO.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adoublee

Likely a quality battery system but limited to 48V. To me this means traditional off-grid charge controllers with baby input voltages and therefore baby string lengths. Combine that with the cost and other solutions look better for home-scale and up IMO.
              Actually the equipment that I looked at from this company is called the AccESS l which is a 10.2kWh system (the AccESS ll is a 6.8kWh) and uses a Schneider Context inverters which accept up to a max Voc of 600V DC from the panel strings.

They claim to be less costly to run then the Tesla but looking at the cost of the batteries > $1000/kWh for a PHI 3.4kWh/each I would think the entire package would be very costly for a typical home owner.

But at least they aren't vaporware.

Comment

• Raul
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2015

Well, I disagree that the powerwall 2 is vaporware, as I have a contract in-hand to install one in less than 60 days. However, after reading the responses it seems waiting a few years might be the best option. Planning to go with micro-inverter PV and hold off on the battery for now. thanks for the input.

Company I subcontract for they put in a 5 units order 6 weeks ago all paid for and no news. Over here there is a minimum requirement for the first order to become a authorised representative for the product.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Elon Musk is a crook and the Kingpin of the Green Mafia. Tesla and Solar City have not made a dime of profit. His billions are made by robbing US taxpayers via subsidies.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                    His billions are made by robbing US taxpayers via subsidies.
                    Yep. Just like Lockheed Martin, Google, Fairchild and Texas Instruments. A bunch of evil crooks who got their start by robbing US taxpayers.

Comment

• adoublee
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2009

Yeah - his soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable. And it's mangled up in tangled up knots.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adoublee
                        Yeah - his soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable. And it's mangled up in tangled up knots.
                        Wait isn't that a line from the Grinch?

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jflorey2
                          Yep. Just like Lockheed Martin, Google, Fairchild and Texas Instruments. A bunch of evil crooks who got their start by robbing US taxpayers.
                          That is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are. Most know the difference between a DOD contractor and a con man dupping stock holders and the public trust. Hell even the farthest lefty new paper in the USA (LA Times) says he he is a con artist ripping th public off and making billions. Take off those Green Maffia Sun Glasses and you might see it. Musk came here from Africa to rob us.

Look in EU. Maffia is buying up wind and sun farms with government money and making a killing. You cannot tell the difference between goberment and mob.

Last edited by Sunking; 01-25-2017, 08:12 PM.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                            That is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are. Most know the difference between a DOD contractor and a con man dupping stock holders and the public trust.
                            Wow. I guess you like Kool-Aid.

Google started with an NSF grant, back when it was called Project Backrub. It got further funding from the Stanford Digital Library Project, also funded by the NSF. (In other words, they found a way to double dip.) No DOD contractor, just two "con men" who were, in your language, stealing money and betraying the public trust.

Google, of course, was successful; many other NSF-funded startups were not. Perhaps Musk will be successful, in which case he will be remembered like Henry Ford or Sergey Brin. Perhaps he will fail, in which case he will be remembered like Preston Tucker. (And of course, a lot of political types will hate his guts no matter what he does, just as some will adore him no matter what he does.)

Comment

• emartin00
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Well, Musk doesn't make his money from Tesla or Solar City. He made his money from Paypal.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by emartin00
                                Well, Musk doesn't make his money from Tesla or Solar City. He made his money from Paypal.
                                Do some research, He has made over $6 Billion from Tesla and Solar City all from Tax Payers while the companies have not turned a dime of profit.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...