Powerwall 2 with Sunpower microinverters?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davehica
    • Jan 2017

Powerwall 2 with Sunpower microinverters?

Hello all -- I am planning to install a 4Kw sunpower system with microinverters in the next few months, and would also like to add a battery at some point. However, I'm having a very hard timing finding any info on the feasibility of adding a powerwall 2 to a microinverter system. Does anyone have any info on whether this is possible and, if so, how expensive/difficult it would be?

thanks for the help.

david
  • emartin00
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

The Powerwall 2 that comes with the built in inverter should work. It's basically a stand alone system as I understand it.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by emartin00
      The Powerwall 2 that comes with the built in inverter should work. It's basically a stand alone system as I understand it.
      I am not sure if the Powerwall 2 would accept the AC input from those micros. The design was supposed to require a DC input from solar panels to charge but there may be a new version that charges from the grid connection so the micros might be acceptable as an input to the charging system.

It is hard to pin down exactly what the P2 can or cannot do. IMO it is still in a stage of testing to find the best market solution.

The cost and changing landscape makes it a questionable investment for most people at this time.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Still vaporware. Powerwall came out a year ago so they say and never hit the market.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
          Still vaporware. Powerwall came out a year ago so they say and never hit the market.
          While I agree with you that I don't think any individual has been able to purchase any of those batteries there have been hundreds delivered and installed in Vermont, CA, Australia and Germany through programs supported by the local POCO.

The new Tesla website provides a place for someone to order a battery system based on the input information. Of course that may be the same "hook" that they used to their Model 3 car so that could get a bunch of money up front before they built the first unit. But the battery systems are being produced. I am just not sure how they actually perform or if the local joe and buy one.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle

While I agree with you that I don't think any individual has been able to purchase any of those batteries there have been hundreds delivered and installed in Vermont, CA, Australia and Germany through programs supported by the local POCO.

The new Tesla website provides a place for someone to order a battery system based on the input information. Of course that may be the same "hook" that they used to their Model 3 car so that could get a bunch of money up front before they built the first unit. But the battery systems are being produced. I am just not sure how they actually perform or if the local joe and buy one.
            THX but I am no fan of MUSK as he is a huge crook robbing the public blind. Neither Tesla or Solar City has made a dime in profit and cost the tax payers to the tune of over 6 Billion dollars straight into his pocket.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• adoublee
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2009

Powerwall 2 will be the greatest thing to happen since the discovery of fillet mignon. Elon Musk is better than Robin Hood, Bill Nye, and the Crocodile Hunter combined. I recommend everyone place an order immediately, ask questions later (your money is in good hands, and it was created out of thin air anyway).

Welcome david, we are here to help.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adoublee
                Powerwall 2 will be the greatest thing to happen since the discovery of fillet mignon. Elon Musk is better than Robin Hood, Bill Nye, and the Crocodile Hunter combined. I recommend everyone place an order immediately, ask questions later (your money is in good hands, and it was created out of thin air anyway).

Hah. I wouldn't let the idea of that battery go to your head. It is a complex energy storage device that is still very expensive. There are also about a half dozen other companies that are working on their own storage device and will be Tesla's competitors.

But if you have the extra cash then put through an order then let us know next year what you get and how much it really cost you.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by adoublee

That's sarcasm, right ?

Comment

• emartin00
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                    They did actually hit the market, just very limited. I saw 1 install, and 2 more on a shelf at an electrical distributor.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by emartin00

They did actually hit the market, just very limited. I saw 1 install, and 2 more on a shelf at an electrical distributor.
                      That is not hitting the market in the US. Generally something that is in the market is generally available to anyone that has the funds to purchase it.
                      We deal with the major distributors of solar equipment. Several of them were supposed to get powerwalls and were set up to be distributors. They received exactly zero powerwalls. Most of the very few installs were leases in the US.

That isn't limited distribution. Limited would be that you could find one if you wanted one but might have to pay extra to get it.
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal

That is not hitting the market in the US. Generally something that is in the market is generally available to anyone that has the funds to purchase it.
                        We deal with the major distributors of solar equipment. Several of them were supposed to get powerwalls and were set up to be distributors. They received exactly zero powerwalls. Most of the very few installs were leases in the US.

That isn't limited distribution. Limited would be that you could find one if you wanted one but might have to pay extra to get it.
                        I figured the majority of the units were sold to specific vendors or POCO's to be used in a test situation similar to what Green Mountain Power in Vermont set up.

Although according to the Tesla website anyone can put down a $500 fee to be used toward the $5500 13.5kWh P2 unit when it becomes available sometime this year.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

I figured the majority of the units were sold to specific vendors or POCO's to be used in a test situation similar to what Green Mountain Power in Vermont set up.

Although according to the Tesla website anyone can put down a $500 fee to be used toward the $5500 13.5kWh P2 unit when it becomes available sometime this year.
                          They did the same thing with PWv1. Any one can give their money to be on the list to get one. Many of those people are still or are being moved to the PWv2 list.
                          This is sort of what Tucker did, taking pre-orders for a vehicle that didn't exist. Tesla, unlike Tucker was able to produce just enough to prove that the PWv1 existed and avoid legal action...
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal

They did the same thing with PWv1. Any one can give their money to be on the list to get one. Many of those people are still or are being moved to the PWv2 list.
                            This is sort of what Tucker did, taking pre-orders for a vehicle that didn't exist. Tesla, unlike Tucker was able to produce just enough to prove that the PWv1 existed and avoid legal action...
                            Yup. I understand the principal of funding a new product. The customer should not always trust the manufacturer.

IMO the PW2 will be first come first serve for only companies with big pockets willing to make a large investment in Tesla as well as advertise how good the product is.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Check out this advertisement selling Powerwall in Florida.

They "have them in stock" and you can have it installed for only $99/month.

Sounds like a leasing arrangement to me.

Another problem I see is that they refer to the 6.4kWh unit yet the picture shows what looks like the Powerwall 2.

Comment

Working...