Solar powered SOUND STUDIO in the sunny desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered SOUND STUDIO in the sunny desert

my system is a portable sound studio that will be installed temporarily in the Atacama Desert, Chile.
    the system will draw a maximum of 218 w, including computer, interface, speaker monitors, midi controller.
    I'm planning to use three 100w panels.

Atacama Desert has been the favorite location for the most advanced telescopes because of it's clear skies and almost no precipitation.
    solar conditions will be ideal, with around 11 hours of constant, intense sunlight.

my plan is to be using the studio mostly during the day, for a maximum of 8 hours
    I'm thinking of having a 120 ah battery, 24v that should cover 5 hours of work that could be used in the night, in case the day gets too hot and uncomfortable to work.

as I see it, the battery should work primarily as a buffer, so to have stable, safe current for the sound equipments, its second job will be to give power during the night.

Am I right with this?

thank you

Last edited by ariel; 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM.

Originally posted by ariel View Post
    my system is a portable sound studio that will be installed temporarily in the Atacama Desert, Chile.
    the system will draw a maximum of 218 w, including computer, interface, speaker monitors, midi controller.
    I'm planning to use three 100w panels.

Atacama Desert has been the favorite location for the most advanced telescopes because of it's clear skies and almost no precipitation.
    solar conditions will be ideal, with around 11 hours of constant sun.

my plan is to be using the studio mostly during the day, for a maximum of 8 hours
    I'm thinking of having a 120 mah battery that covers 5 hours of work that could be used in the night, in case the day gets too uncomfortable to work.

as I see it, the battery will work primarily as a buffer, so to have stable, safe current to the sound equipments, its second job will be to give power during the night.

Am I right with this?
    120 mah,... So you think you can run a stereo, computer, midi board, amplifier, and likely lights, of of a watch battery?

you probably could get by with 200ah 24V and 1kw solar.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ariel
      ariel commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have been more specific about my post, the illumination system i was talking about is nothing more than a 48000 mAh USB Powerbank with an array of leds built in,.
      this is enough for my basic light requirements and it will be helpful resource of energy to charge a phone, etc. in case something bad happens with the
      main battery.
      still, I'll consider a couple of leds for the main battery. thanks.

To have small panels was my first idea but the best deal i could find in my country, Chile was those 100w ones, there is another good deal for a single one that is 250w and is not terribly big, that might work as well.

• SunEagle
      SunEagle commented
      Editing a comment
      Based on past experience a higher wattage panel usually costs less/watt than a lower wattage panel. This may not be true everywhere depending on shipping or import fees but if I had purchase 2 x 200 watt panels instead of 5 x 80 watt panels I probably would have saved over $300.

• ariel
      ariel commented
      Editing a comment
      it seems that we have a similar situation regarding prices here in Chile,
      however with this portable project I need to be able to transport the panels over difficult terrain and be able to handle them easily so to install and uninstall them relatively easily. so too big panels are a bit of an issue to me.

Probably the sunniest place on the planet, not only for cloudless skies but also for the elevation above sea level making irradiance > 1,000 W/m^2 a daily occurrence. Annual rainfall ~~ 0.6 "/yr.

Others may comment on equipment suitable for the application. I'd only suggest you make sure you can clean the panels easily, or at least sweep the dust/sand off as that too may well be a daily occurrence/chore. Avoid complete horizontal orientation. Tilt toward the equator by about 20 deg. or so.

Comment

• ariel
      ariel commented
      Editing a comment
      good tip! about sweeping dust regularly!

Hello, thanks for all your replies.
    I would like to know more about the use of the battery considering my sunny, environmental conditions.

I'll be using a normal solar panel setup, including 300w solar panels, mppt controller, two 120 ah batteries in parallel, (240 ah), an a pure sine inverter.
    my power consumption would be around 112 w.

considering the next scenarios.

- (starting in the morning with the batteries fully charged) : during the day the current used from the batteries by my devices would be compensated by the solar panels/controller so the battery drain won't be significant?

would this process be decremental to the battery life?

( in the night the battery will be used and discharged until the minimum percentage required is reached (around 45%)

- starting the day with let's say 60% of battery, and consuming let's say 80w from my electronic devices. should I be able to keep charging during the day while still consuming some current?

thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
    X