Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NERDRAGE88
    • Jun 2016

Conferm my thinking

Ok I'm far from buying anything, I'm in the vary early brainstorm/learning mode and just trying to gather my thoughts.

I'm planning on a "hybrid grid pv" setup but plan to mostly use my solar and batteries and wind and use the grid/generator if I have to.

I am going 48 volt no question. I'm going with ONE string of 2 volt batteries to make 48 volts (duh) I'm not sure what size yet but I'm thinking around 1200-1700 ah. Yes lead acid just so there is NO confusion.

I THINK I know what inverter/s and charge controller/s I want.

The point I'm at now is trying to figure the size of modules I'll need and how to configure the wiring and whatnot to properly maintian a 1200-1700 ah battery bank. I think I'm going to shoot for 60-70 volts. So for I think I have to have more then 30 amps to keep that size of a battery bank maintained.

Hope I provided enough information for you guys.

I had an account on a solar site but I forgot what one so that's why this is my first post. Thanks to the mistory forum I belong to I know about the battery bank details.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

There is a huge flaw in your thinking.

Ask yourself? Am I thrilled to death paying 10 times more for electricity than I do now from that mean ole greedy Power Company for the rest of your life.It tickles me pink to make my battery dealer a filthy rich man talking my money and cannot stand to keep. I have more money than I know what to do with and love throwing it away on useless chit.

If that is for you, go right ahead and do it.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• NERDRAGE88
      • Jun 2016

Ok then, what do you suggest? I understand your tying to bring to light reality but would have been nice to get at least one detaile or explanation. If your just frustrated because I asked something that has been covered it would have been nice to say so and I'll stop pecking at the keyboard. If you cared to be a tad bit useful and point me in the right direction then this conversation would be over.

But then again I think I already know what is going to be said and I'm already formulating a different plan.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by NERDRAGE88
        Ok then, what do you suggest? I understand your tying to bring to light reality but would have been nice to get at least one detaile or explanation. If your just frustrated because I asked something that has been covered it would have been nice to say so and I'll stop pecking at the keyboard. If you cared to be a tad bit useful and point me in the right direction then this conversation would be over.

But then again I think I already know what is going to be said and I'm already formulating a different plan.

your high cost solution of using a bimodal system to be off grid cycling the batteries daily and only using the grid or generator when needed is the problem.
        Cheapest and most ROI is to use the grid with net metering, and no batteries at all.
        if you really want batteries for backup then use net metering, and only use the batteries for backup (what I do).
        LEast return and likely never paying for itself is to use an off grid system when you have access to the grid.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• NERDRAGE88
          • Jun 2016

So what's the point???? Some places charge to do net metering unless where I heard it from is wrong. That's why I didn't even bother. My original plan was do to exactly that and have batteries as backup mainly for the fridge, freezer and a few lights.

Maybe I just got lost somewhere and a reality 4x4 set me back on the right path.

Isn't the point behind solar is to reduce the need to burn fossel fuels. I guess the greed has made it about money.

I guess that's just reality.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2011

If your reason for wanting solar is to reduce fossil fuels than go ahead and do an off-grid setup.

If you wish to reduce your carbon footprint though that is a very poor choice. An off-grid setup has a larger carbon footprint than just sticking with the POCO. The best you could do in that case is a grid-tied setup with net-metering.

There are many reasons for solar. The reason usually determines what type of system is best suited for you as each has it's pros and cons.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

So what's the point???? Some places charge to do net metering unless where I heard it from is wrong. That's why I didn't even bother. My original plan was do to exactly that and have batteries as backup mainly for the fridge, freezer and a few lights.

Maybe I just got lost somewhere and a reality 4x4 set me back on the right path.

Isn't the point behind solar is to reduce the need to burn fossel fuels. I guess the greed has made it about money.

I guess that's just reality.

the most reduction is with a net meter solution. You should check to see if you have net metering before doing anything else.
              Do you live in a state with net metering?
              Do you have a coop or municiple power company?

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2011

So what's the point???? Some places charge to do net metering unless where I heard it from is wrong. ...
                Some places are starting to charge a grid access fee for net metering. Most are only about $10 a month. The highest I've heard proposed was $50 a month but over 10 years that would still be way less than the cost of the battery bank.

Comment

• NERDRAGE88
                  • Jun 2016

Yes the poco allows net metering. It's Rocky Mountain power and they have tons of stuff about it on their page. I'm pretty sure its municipal. Not entirely sure. I just skimmed so far, hopefully they don't charge and if they do its not much

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Yes the poco allows net metering. It's Rocky Mountain power and they have tons of stuff about it on their page. I'm pretty sure its municipal. Not entirely sure. I just skimmed so far, hopefully they don't charge and if they do its not much
                    it does not look like municipal power, that would cover one city only.

Which state are you in?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

that is not municipal. Municipal would cover one city only.
                      which state are you in.

Comment

• NERDRAGE88
                        • Jun 2016

I see then no it's not it covers Idaho Wyoming and Utah. I'm in Utah. I think they charge 1.95 for net metering at the least.

This way I can have a way smaller backup battery bank and get one of those plate deals the forces the main braker the be turned off and allows power from the backup to a subpannel for the priorities. Maybe this way I can go with say 24 v with 6v batteries and less inverter needed.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

I see then no it's not it covers Idaho Wyoming and Utah. I'm in Utah. I think they charge 1.95 for net metering at the least.

This way I can have a way smaller backup battery bank and get one of those plate deals the forces the main braker the be turned off and allows power from the backup to a subpannel for the priorities. Maybe this way I can go with say 24 v with 6v batteries and less inverter needed.
                          I don't know exactly what you are talking about with the "plate deals the forces the main braker the be turned off and allows power from the backup to a subpannel"

bimodal inverters like mine will handle the sub panel. I do not think you want to go with a 24V system in any way. you will want to go 48V and can use AGM 12V 200+ ah batteries.

Comment

• NERDRAGE88
                            • Jun 2016

Now thinking about it those ore for back feeding and it basically does the same thing as an inverter that automatically switches but it's manual so your power doesn't go into a down grid and kill line workers

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Now thinking about it those ore for back feeding and it basically does the same thing as an inverter that automatically switches but it's manual so your power doesn't go into a down grid and kill line workers

if you are talking about a lockout, you will not need one with a bimodal system. Mine includes one but for bypassing the inverter only. in normal operation it is not used.

Comment

Working...