Sizing battery bank to solar array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing battery bank to solar array

what are the choices for controlling the amount of solar output going to the batteries when the grid is down?
    Would you be able to have anywhere from 1 single car battery (to get the system started) up to the Tesla Powerwall?

Originally posted by Scotty11 View Post
    what are the choices for controlling the amount of solar output going to the batteries when the grid is down?
    Would you be able to have anywhere from 1 single car battery (to get the system started) up to the Tesla Powerwall?
    Yes and no, though mostly no. The. Systems that currently support the powerwall only support high voltage batteries and right now only the powerwall ( that is likely to change )
    The battery should be able to handle the charge though most bimodal systems can limit the charge. Mot of them are 48 volt so a single 12v battery will not work.
    And a car battery is about the most inappropriate battery for a PV system.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Scotty11.

You really need to do more research concerning hybrid solar systems before you even think about purchasing any hardware.

First off the equipment is not cheap and the battery system will never consist of a single or even multiple car batteriers. Also the Tesla Powerwall is still very expensive to be used as a power source should the grid go down.

Comment

Thanks guys...the post was more informational as I attempt to get my mind around sizing the battery bank to the solar array. I understand about sizing it to the energy use of the site...still having trouble with the rest.

Comment

Thanks guys...the post was more informational as I attempt to get my mind around sizing the battery bank to the solar array. I understand about sizing it to the energy use of the site...still having trouble with the rest.
          Some good information concerning battery sizing can be found in the off grid area of this forum. It can be easy to follow and if not come back and ask your questions. We will try to help you not waste your money or purchase the wrong items to build your system.

Comment

Working...
          X