Looks like the hybrid system is what I want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmanInPA View Post

Wouldn't say never - just not yet. The real problem is that there are no prime-time-ready and inexpensive storage options out there just yet.
    What's your thoughts on the tesla power wall? Probably need to post quick I am about to be banned lol
    Last edited by Djcoak; 04-12-2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

There is no question that for some applications a solar/battery system is a perfect choice.

What I am trying to do is to help you make good financial decisions on what type of emergency power back up system to build and not waste your money.

As I indicated I built two systems. One is small and very portable and the other can provide me about 600 watt hours daily but for the $2500 I spent on it I could have built or bought something better.

Here are a few pictures of my systems.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        There is no question that for some applications a solar/battery system is a perfect choice.

What I am trying to do is to help you make good financial decisions on what type of emergency power back up system to build and not waste your money.

As I indicated I built two systems. One is small and very portable and the other can provide me about 600 watt hours daily but for the $2500 I spent on it I could have built or bought something better.

Here are a few pictures of my systems.
        That's fine but preppers are stupid so you've killed your credibility with me

Admin note, you are very close now to being banned SunEagle has been trying to help you and this is your attitude?? First and last warning

Comment

Originally posted by Djcoak View Post
          That's fine but preppers are stupid so you've killed your credibility with me
          No. I never said stupid. I am just trying to get you to look at other lower cost possibilities to solve your problem. But again it is your money and you can follow your own path.

Comment

I could spend less on lots of things but that's not always the best option for my goal

Comment

Originally posted by Djcoak View Post
              I could spend less on lots of things but that's not always the best option for my goal
              I understand. Everyone has their own priority.

Comment

Djcoak This being a public forum, there will always likely be people who respond to posts and inquiries who have a different view than yourself. Most of the folks here are very experienced with solar and quite sharp. Their counsel is worth hearing even if it is different than your own POV. It is good and worthwhile to know what goes into the kind of setup you want to accomplish, and many of these people live off-grid full-time (which is how a prepper would be living if such scenarios came to pass) and know better than anyone what it is like to rely on solar for their power.

Painting with a broad brush here.... some in the prepper community can have unrealistic expectations or understanding of what solar has to offer them. There are oodles of products marketed to the prepper and survivalist crowd that take advantage of this. Some of these folks just don't want to hear the realities of what they can and cannot do with solar. There is a healthy level of preparedness, then there is sheer madness. I would suspect that SunEagle was commenting based on experience with the former. In fairness, this mindset is not constrained to the prepper persona - many many people who explore solar have equally unrealistic expectations. When I first began researching solar, I remember a vendor telling me that what I wanted to accomplish would cost me between $60-$100k. I was very shocked.

What it might help to realize is that some real crazies come to forums like this looking for a solar magic bullet and simply refuse to face the mathematical/scientific realities of what solar has to offer someone in apocalyptic scenarios. The level of denial often is multiplied if the OP already has some investment into their plan. It is hard to have patience with that kind of person. I'm not implying you are being such - but that often the preppers are those that just won't hear sound advice. Preparation for the unknown is reasonable and prudent. Doing so at 10x the expense and complexity is not - even if one can afford it.

Getting a little push back from others about what you're thinking is a good thing. It will challenge your assumptions and could spare you a lot of expense. That will just give you more funds for other aspects of your preparedness.

Example of good pushback... you don't want someone knowing you have power in a long power emergency... what would stand out more... 2 dozen solar panels, or a 3'x5'x3' generator - perhaps even hidden inside a shed? No one is trying to talk you out of solar, but to give you an idea how well it is going to accomplish your goals.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X