How do I know if my appliances are working with the battery or the solar panel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mamk
    • Feb 2016

How do I know if my appliances are working with the battery or the solar panel

I have connected my 80 watt solar panel the the charge controller and connected the charge controller to the battery and the battery with the inverter, but I am not sure if my appliances are working with solar panel sun lights or with the battery that is already charged??

Or how is the controller functionality in such systems?
  • Logan005
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2015

an 80 watt solar panels is not going to run a refrigerator. the refrigerator will drain your battery and your 80 watt panel will not be able to recharge it. in a short period of time you will have destroyed your battery and everything in your refrigerator.
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• Mamk
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
      an 80 watt solar panels is not going to run a refrigerator. the refrigerator will drain your battery and your 80 watt panel will not be able to recharge it. in a short period of time you will have destroyed your battery and everything in your refrigerator.
      Am not using a refrigerator 😁 Its a lamp, a fan and a shaving machine..

Comment

• Logan005
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2015

not sure where I got "Refrigerator" from. I assume you have a multi meter, why not take some readings. depending on the battery you are trying to charge, an 80watt panel is maybe good for 50 amp hr battery, but not good enough for a 100 amp hr battery. you have a very small set up, bit much to expect to use an inverter. are you off grid? is this a mobile set up? Lorry or a camper van?
        4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

There are two simple ways to tell what is happening, one that tells you the immediate picture and one that gives you the long view.

Is your battery a Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) or a sealed Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery?
          If the former, get a temperature compensated hydrometer so that you can measure the Specific Gravity (SG) of the electrolyte. For the long view see whether the SG gets lower and lower each day. That will indicate that the panel is not able to put back each day what your inverter (and maybe direct DC load?) is taking out.

For the immediate picture get ammeter than can carry the amount of current that the inverter pulls and put it in series with the battery lead. (For example one end of meter connected to + lead of battery, other end connected to both the CC and the inverter + leads.
          It will then tell you at any given time whether the panel is producing enough current to run the inverter (and maybe charge the battery at the same time) or the net current is coming from the battery. You can also temporarily disconnect the panels from the CC to measure how much current; the inverter is drawing while powering each device.
          Unless it is a very small inverter you may find that leaving the inverter turned on when you are not using it is pulling more total energy than the daily loads you attach to it.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mamk
            • Feb 2016

Thank you so much for your responses but I wonder How would I recognize from the ammeter current reading if the appliances are working with sun light or with the charged battery ?what should the reading be like?

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Mamk
              Thank you so much for your responses but I wonder How would I recognize from the ammeter current reading if the appliances are working with sun light or with the charged battery ?what should the reading be like?
              With the meter in the position I described you are not measuring current to the inverter or current from the load you are measuring current into or out of the battery only.
              That will tell you whether you are still charging the battery or running it down.

Some current from the CC may be going directly to the inverter, bypassing the meter, but that is OK since you only need to know the battery current.

If you connect the plus (red) lead from the meter to the battery post, positive current indicates discharging the battery and negative current indicates discharging the battery.

Comment

• Mamk
                • Feb 2016

So when I will disconnect the solar panel should the current on the ammeter be less or more than when its connected with the CC

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Mamk
                  So when I will disconnect the solar panel should the current on the ammeter be less or more than when its connected with the CC
                  When you disconnect the panel the battery current will either change direction (if panel was both supplying the load and charging) or will get larger (if the panel was not able to supply the full load and was getting hep from the battery.)

Comment

Working...