New to solar energy, need advice for project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to solar energy, need advice for project

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm an artist who's been commissioned to help work on a sculpture project involving solar panels. We're working on a small scale model based off of solar powered flood lights we purchased at home depot. These small floodlights each run on 3.2 volt rechargeable batteries. In it's developmental stage, we have five of these solar panels lined up side by side within the sculpture. Ideally, we'd prefer one solar panel to power all five lamps. I'm not sure how to shop for such a panel. I need to find a suitable panel that is able to power all five lights, and I need to determine it's size so that I can build this sculpture around it. Any help is appreciated! I'm very new to solar energy, so these preliminary steps to the project are the hardest.

We need a lot more info to help you. All we know is the lights require 3.2 volts which tells us the are made for LFP batteries. How may watts are each flood light, and how long do you intend to run them each day in hours.

The big challenge for you is how in the heck are you going to orient the panels to face Solar South with the right tilt angle with no shade all day long. Additionally where do you intend to hide the battery and controllers.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

This Hampton Bay solar light is unbelievably difficult to find wattage on. So far, 70 lumens is the only real information I can find. I've taken the manual apart. I'll keep searching and attempt to take the light apart.
      The design of the sculpture will orient the panels to face Solar South. Hiding the batteries and controllers won't be a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by codexvoid View Post
        T So far, 70 lumens is the only real information I can find..
        Any info on current and voltage wil do it. We know 3.2 volts. Current = ?

At 70 lumens if they are LEd would be around 1 watt or .3 amps.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

As I know that you should use Li-iron battery for your small system. And your loads are about 5W. So for the test I suggest you buy one small module, which Vmp about 5V, and power could be 6W. Hope you enjoy the test. Easy to find out the capacity on your battery, you could find out the printing on the battery, 1500~2000. To charge the battery you also need to build a small charge circuit to be sure no damage on your battery.

Comment

Thank you for all of your help so far. After attempting to contact the company directly, Hampton Bay could offer no information on basically any specs of their product.
            I've shifted my interest to this light...
            http://www.amazon.com/White-Flood-Li...ETD8EBR9NZ6HGN

What can you tell me about the type of panel or panels I would need to properly power these five lights?
            I don't need exact information on how to set it up (although if you want to throw a few pointers my way, I wouldn't oppose), because eventually someone with much better electrical knowledge will take over on the technical side. My immediate concern is figuring out what kind of panel I need so that I can price it out as well as begin to build my sculpture around the panel.

I'm aware I'm not the easiest person to work with since I'm diving into this with almost zero knowledge of solar power, so I do appreciate all the help you've been giving.

Comment

that light is an AC light and adds a $100 to 200 inverter to your plans, 5X20 watt LED light;s is going to make a hell of a lot more light than the yard light's you started with, and also draw at least 100 times more power, changing the kind and cost of batteries needed to run them all night. Your likely looking at a $1000 battery bank alone and 400 to 600 dollars worth of solar panels, located in full sun with no shading. you will also need a good MPPT charge controller $100 to 200. consider lower wattage DC lights and forget the inverter.
              4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

This light is similar and uses half the power, I still think would be much more than you actually need.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-20W-30W-...2bQ8P9Rx_etm5A

Comment

II find Amazon lacking in the solar and electrical area.

Comment

What would be ideal, 10W? Lower?

Comment

Also, I think it would make my life easier if I knew how to (fairly) easily calculate how many and what type of panels I would need for any number of lights.

Comment

Howdy codexvoid, I think you need to go here and do some reading. The short answer to your previous questions is, all off grid (and for that matter grid tied) systems need to be designed to meet the required load. If you dont know your load (how many watt hours or kilowatt hours) the system need to supply every day, then you simply dont know how to design the system.Keep reading it will start to become clearer, cheers

Comment

Hi Codexvoid,
                          a few questions:
                          - why are you using solar power for the lights?
                          - are you able to use power from the grid at night, or is this a completely off-grid application?
                          - how bright a light do you need? (I guess you are using five 1800 lumen lamps - are those just right, or too bright, or too dim? Would five 600 lumen lights do? Home Depot sells those complete with solar panels... http://www.homedepot.com/p/XEPA-600-...SO1B/203404519 though who knows how well they work)
                          - how many hours a day do you need that light?
                          - do you need that light to shine even if it's raining? If it's been raining for the last week?
                          - what geographical area (or zip code) will it be installed in?
                          - will the solar panels be in full sun, or are there shadows in the area the solar panels will sit?

Comment

Try some 1watt and 3watt led light's first and consider adding switches and or dimmers so you can adjust the amount of light, as well as the amount of power used. running lights/loads constantly is costly and requires expensive batteries and wire. You need to read all the sticky's and under stand your needs and options before you spend any money. If you have grid available, don't waste time, money or effort. consider a Hybrid system with battery's for backup only.

Comment

Working...
                            X