Just starting out... Criticize me please!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjyagribiz11
    • Nov 2015

Just starting out... Criticize me please!!

Hey all...

I have access to one possibly two of these 24volt forklift batteries.. Work is just getting rid of them.. some are only 6 months old!!

24 volt - 600 amp hour - lead acid. - but.. 1200lbs each... i can get them into my workshop next to where my setup will be so not a problem for me.

I was thinking about starting with a 24volt 400 watt wind and 200 watt solar setup to charge and then putting a 500watt grid tie inverter on it.. Is this a dumb idea?// I know I should probably get way more solar panels but just want to get started and build on the system over time.

All advice is greatly appreciated good or bad..

Thanks all and have a green day!!

Mike
    Attached Files
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Hi Mike, what's your goal and your location? Are you trying to get power to a location that doesn't have grid power? If you do have the grid available, the only system that makes economic and environmental sense is to go with a grid-tied system with no batteries if your power company allows it. Solar power with batteries gets really expensive compared to grid power, even with a free initial set of (probably mostly used up) batteries. It would be like making your own gasoline for $10 a gallon when you can buy it for $2 down the street. But if you're on an island with no gasoline, it wouldn't seem so bad.

Comment

Working...