X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 kW residential solar in bay area - pricing help

Hi,

I'm wanting to go solar (grid), and could use some help from the pros here

My expected usage is ~9000 kWh/year including my new Chevy Volt. Sun Run rep gave me an estimate of $22k for a 5.75 KW installation. Sounds pricey to me.... what do you guys think? If I want quality panels (say, SunPower) what's the best pricing I should expect in bay area?

Also, any recommendation on installers serving the east Bay area? Much appreciate your help. Thanks.

V.

p.s. my house is a new construction, 2 story, with no-shadow roof sloping down facing South.

Originally posted by kgvenkatesh View Post
    Hi, I'm wanting to go solar (grid), and could use some help from the pros here My expected usage is ~9000 kWh/year including my new Chevy Volt. Sun Run rep gave me an estimate of $22k for a 5.75 KW installation. Sounds pricey to me.... what do you guys think? If I want quality panels (say, SunPower) what's the best pricing I should expect in bay area? Also, any recommendation on installers serving the east Bay area? Much appreciate your help. Thanks. V. p.s. my house is a new construction, 2 story, with no-shadow roof sloping down facing South.
    I'm not a pro and I don't play one on TV, but since you ask: 1.) Start by understanding how you pay for electricity. When you do you m ay find it may not be cost effective for a 100% bill offset. Solar is not necessarily an economic slam dunk. Also, check out T.O.U. rates, especially if you can charge the EV at nite on super off peak rates. 2.) I'd run from Sunrun. Find local reputable electrical contractors who also sell solar. 3.) Sunpower's good stuff but overpriced for what you get. Solar is becoming a commodity. You'll get similar performance for as long as you're likely to own any PV system for about 15 - 25% less up front with other reputable and equally fit for purpose equipment. 4.) S.P's probably in the neighborhood of roughly $4.50 - $5.00/Watt. Other stuff $3.50 - $4.00. Other Bay area posters probably have better info on prices and availability of quality vendors.Pay your money and take your choice. Good luck.

Comment

See my thread from not too long ago - http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...help-me-decide for some pricing info.

I'm at 9500kWh/year and recommended system sizes came in at 80% of annual usage paired with a E-6 time out use plan.

Comment

So I know that you can get a 5.88 kW system of 18 X SunPower E20 327W panels at about $4.20 for a system cost of 24,721.20, although it is 2 grand more than the other system you got quoted it is a much higher quality panel, they are the best on the market and you're going to have to pay for high quality. I hope this helps you, if you DM me I'll let you know the name of the installers I know that have the lowest sunpower pricing.

Comment

Working...
        X