X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gcaudle66
    • Dec 2019

My first home Solar System kit installation

At my home property I have a barn with no power to it at the time, so Solar became a option for me. I wanted to play with solar and learn, so I picked up the usual Harbor Freight system as it came with all parts needed including lights which I needed most in my barn. After playing with it I finally was ready to install it in the barn but needed a way to house the electronics and keep them safe and protected from thermal or environmental aspects.

My solution:
    -Housing: Old Igloo ice chest I had (figured would work good as it is insolated and lightweight as well as fit on top of a shelf in the barn)
    ----cut slot and installed a vent for airflow
    ----Installed a doublergang box and 2x receptacles for external access to inverter plugs
    ----Installed single gange box with switch to control 12v feed to lights for external control of lights
    -Installed inverter, controller and battery inside housing
    -routed wiring via bunghole
    -connected lights and panel feeds

Result: Works like a champ!!!! Even now that I have removed it from barn as I have run 120v power to it, I now use it for remote work on property where I strap it to a dolley and drag around my property instead of my generator.
    --Ran a 4" angle grinder at full RPM to cut through a 4" steel fence pipe off battery!
    --has been used to power a pool slides water pump
    --currently as shown in pics, is used to power some LED post lights, smart doorbell at my property front gate (pics are of it wired in temporary test phase, not permanent install). Final setup will be 4x batteries wired in parrellel, DC 12v timer for inverter power control, 750w inverter, photoelectric eye for day/night light control, 24v doorbell transformer, Ring Smart Doorbell, TP-Link Smart outdoor plug for future use

Conclusion: Solar power is a cool thing to play with and very versatile. I could not be happier!! I hope this helps other newbies with their solar journey!
    Last edited by Gcaudle66; 03-11-2021, 05:32 PM.
Working...
X