Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • afo1201
    • Nov 2020

New System - Equipment Advice

Hello, I recently had a solar system installed with the following components, can you tell me if the inverter and optimizers are the correct ones for my panel count and size? Total system size is 4.95KW

Panels = 15 Panasonic HIT 330 (VBHN330SA17)
    Inverter = SolarEdge 3800H-US
    Optimizers = Qty. 8 SolarEdge P730

I guess my concern is that the inverter model is undersized and I need 15 optimizers instead of only 8?
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

Is this system working and producing power?

You should pull up the specs for all the components listed. I don't have a Solar Edge system, but it appears there could be some equipment issues unless I'm reading the specs wrong.

Panels: Panasonic 96 cell HIT 330 VBHN330SA17
    Inverter: SolarEdge 3800H-US Single phase
    Optimizers: SolarEdge P730 for 2x 72 cell PV modules, Compatible Solar Edge inverter: 3 phase inverters SE16K & larger

Comment

• afo1201
      • Nov 2020

The system is not turned on yet, you think its ok to use 1 optimizer per 2 panels based on the info you posted? Do you think there is an issue with the inverter model they installed? Can it handle my panels or will there be clipping?

Comment

• bob-n
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2019

I think that you have a very unreliable system that exceeds manufacturer recommendations in two cases, both by a significant margin.

SE3800H-US. Max Input Power 5900 watts. You're safe there.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/solar/datash..._datasheet.pdf
        HIT N330: Voc 69.7V x 8 = 557.6V. But the SE3800H-US is only rated for up to 480V. That really concerns me. On a cold, bright day, you may damage the inverter. Even 7 panels exceeds the limit, reaching 488V.

One P730 is rated for two 72-cell modules, not two 96-cell modules, so the count is right, but the model is wrong. That's another serious concern. Again, on a bright day in cold weather, when the panel output voltage is high, the optimizer can fail due to excessive voltage.

Solaredge makes a model P800p for 96-cell modules. That is the right thing to use.

Please let us know what they say and do when you tactfully tell the installer that they completely screwed up and need to replace all of the electronics.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• oregon_phil
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

I don't think you should turn it on until somebody with SolarEdge experience chimes in. Did a reputable firm install this system?

I'm wondering because all this front end work should have been figured out before the project started and should have been explained to you.

Comment

• bob-n
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2019

I just posted an answer to this question, but included too many links, so it is waiting for moderator approval. Once it comes through, you'll have backup information for what follows.

You have a very unreliable system that exceeds manufacturer recommendations in two cases, both by a significant margin.

SE3800H-US. Max Input Power 5900 watts. You're safe there.

HIT N330: Voc 69.7V x 8 = 557.6V. But the SE3800H-US is only rated for up to 480V. That really concerns me. On a cold, bright day, you may damage the inverter. Even 7 panels exceeds the limit, reaching 488V.

One P730 is rated for two 72-cell modules, not two 96-cell modules, so the count is right, but the model is wrong. That's another serious concern. Again, on a bright day in cold weather, when the panel output voltage is high, the optimizer can fail due to excessive voltage.

Solaredge makes a model P800p for 96-cell modules. That is the right thing to use.

Please let us know what they say and do when you tactfully tell the installer that they completely screwed up and need to replace all of the electronics.

Comment

• afo1201
              • Nov 2020

Hello Bob-n,
              I actually have 15 Panasonic panels not 8, so isint the total V even higher? Making it even worse?

Comment

• bob-n
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2019

The SolarEdge 3800H has two inputs. I think that they connected a string of 7 panels to one input and a string of 8 panels to the other input. The whole SE3000H to SE7600H series has two inputs. The larger models, SE10000H and SE11400H have three inputs for up to three strings.

Read more at: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf

Comment

• oregon_phil
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2019

When something like this happens, I always begin to wonder about the other aspects of the project. Like if this is a roof mount, what mounts did they use and did they do it properly? There are a 1001 questions to ask. You pay a good installer a fee to handle all the details and to deliver you a functioning system. And don't forget about future service issues/questions.

Comment

• afo1201
                    • Nov 2020

Ok, spoke to my project manager, this is what they are installing now, I should be good to go with this correct?

Panels = 15 Panasonic HIT 330 (VBHN330SA17)
                    Inverter = SolarEdge 5K
                    Optimizers = Qty. 15 SolarEdge P400

Comment

• bob-n
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2019

No.

Using 15 P400 optimizers is a good solution to the optimizer problem.

But the SolarEdge SE5000H is still a two-string inverter with a 480V maximum input for each string. They haven't solved the inverter over-voltage problem. A string of 7 or 8 of those panels will put out more voltage than either SolarEdge can handle. Switching from 3800 to 5000 just raised the current level, not the voltage level.

They can replace the SolarEdge with a Fronius Primo inverter. Those are rated for 600V per string. Fronius is a well-respected brand. Some would rate it higher than SolarEdge. But that changes a number of other things. Fronius has a completely different solution to optimizers (Maxim optimizers). Monitoring is also completely different. It is unlikely that your installer is trained to support Fronius.

Please forgive me for judging, but it sounds like the person you are dealing with doesn't know what they are doing and are simply suggesting the parts that they have on hand.

Rather than trusting them or me, it would be worth your time to phone SolarEdge directly and get their recommendations.
                      1-510-498-3200

I hope that I'm being helpful.

Comment

• oregon_phil
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2019

Afl1201, Bob-n has some great advice. In the beginning, you asked a specific question so you are getting some detailed advice. If you don't mind, I have some broader questions that might help you in the overall scheme of things. (Just two or three questions from the 1001 questions out there).

1) Are your solar panels shaded during the day or are they pretty much open without shading?

2) Are you on net metering (or have you been approved for net metering) with your power company?

In my net metering case, my contractor submitted all equipment selections to the power company AND got net metering approval before any equipment was purchased. If I made any equipment changes after POCO net metering approval, that meant I had to resubmit the net metering application for re-approval. I don't know how your POCO works, however.

Comment

Working...