MPPT Controller Increasing Amps To Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPPT Controller Increasing Amps To Battery

I have an MPPT controller. I was told the amps showing on it's LCD are the amps coming from the panels, not the amps actually going into the batteries. They said the amps going into the batteries are actually much higher? Is this true? If so, how much higher?

panel amps are much less important then battery charge amps, which is what a single ammeter should display. What does the manual say about selecting what the display shows?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

While an MPPT CC should provide higher amps out to the battery then amps in from the panels it will vary based on the SOC of the batteries.

But I agree with Mike. Is there a way to select what the MPPT CC is measuring? Amps in or amps out.

It is also good to have a clamp on DC amp meter to verify what is coming in and going out. Some of those MPPT meters may not be as accurate as a hand held meter.
      Last edited by SunEagle; 09-03-2020, 12:15 PM. Reason: Added last part

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        panel amps are much less important then battery charge amps, which is what a single ammeter should display. What does the manual say about selecting what the display shows?
        The manual shows that it's the "Charging Current". It's a Renogy Rover Elite. I think what I was told may be correct for this SCC. He said if a controller has a BOOST setting it can increase amps while lowering voltage. Mine has a boost setting. Does this sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          While an MPPT CC should provide higher amps out to the battery then amps in from the panels it will vary based on the SOC of the batteries.

But I agree with Mike. Is there a way to select what the MPPT CC is measuring? Amps in or amps out.

It is also good to have a clamp on DC amp meter to verify what is coming in and going out. Some of those MPPT meters may not be as accurate as a hand held meter.
          No way to change what is showing. It just says "Charging Current".

Comment

Originally posted by AL1952 View Post

No way to change what is showing. It just says "Charging Current".
            OK. It sounds like the CC measures the output and not the input amps. Again having a second meter to confirm what the CC meter is giving you is nice to have.

Comment

Charging Current is amps going to the batteries or load. Stuff coming from the PV would be solar current
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I’m curious about the number of panels, Panel voltage, panel amps, and battery volts. Like to see how many amps are disappearing.

Comment

Originally posted by AL1952

He said if a controller has a BOOST setting it can increase amps while lowering voltage. Mine has a boost setting. Does this sound right?
                  This is a generic "how does MPPT work" question more than a question about this particular conrtroller.. AltE has a pretty good video on the basics.

"BOOST" means absorption in this context; IMO that translation/marketing choice is confusing to new folks.

Originally posted by AL1952
                  No way to change what is showing.
                  You can change what's showing with the buttons, but there is no option to display panel current. According to the docs the remote display for it doesn't provide additional info beyond what you can already see on the unit./

Comment

Working...
                  X