X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heimdm
    replied
    Way too much.

My yard has a 5-6 degree slope, so I need to get that leveled and a retaining wall. That is 20-30k. (Area to be leveled 35x x 110ft).
    Pergola Structure w/ Solar Racking: 45k
    Inverters: 7k
    Solar Panels: 25-30k
    Electrical Work: 5k
    Garage Next to Array that will house inverters, etc: 10k

I am waiting to find out what Duke will let us interconnect, or what extra charges will be had there.

if we concrete under it and make an outdoor space that would add another 20k.

Leave a comment:

• macaddict
    replied
    Originally posted by heimdm View Post
    A couple of updates on the project:
    1) Building permit is obtained for " 80' x 26' self supporting solar structure with patio underneath"
    2) Our yard has an approximate 5 degree slope to the south. As a result, we will be leveling about 2/5's of an acre, and will require a retaining wall for part of it, as by leveling the ground it will create about 6 foot change is elevation. We have an elevated deck off the first floor, which is about 10ft above the ground because of the slope, and we want to keep the solar panels below the deck. By doing the leveling and excavation it will allow that. That work will begin beginning of November.
    3) Solar support / pergola design was adjusted to the following:
    -> Angle: 15 degrees (compromise between solar production and aesthetics)
    -> South Side Clearance: 8'
    -> North Side Clearance: 14'6"
    4) Next week, I'll be meeting with the electricians to firm up spec's so that the conduit can be installed between the array and the house.

With the climate in south central Indiana, our hope is to get the excavation work done, conduit in place, footers, and concrete pad poured before winter sets in. That is going to be pushing it. If we get the concrete done before winter that would be ideal, so when the spring rains hit, we are not digging in the ground.
    Just wondering, what is the estimated cost for all of this? I'm playing with the idea of doing something similar and have no idea on the cost.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    The deck is like you mentioned a change in elevation, and is about 10ft away from the back of the array. Snow removal would be a bit of a challenge. However, to be honestly, the past 5 years, we haven't got a lot of snow. I think the best thing would be to get on the low side and hit it with a long snow/roof rake, not perfect, but better than nothing. I am also hoping that the 15 degree angle will help the snow slide off a little. We are in south central Indiana.. .about as far south as Cincinnati, Oh.

Any suggestions how other people do mild to moderate snow removal?
    When I lived in Buffalo (if you can call a winter existence/residence there "living"), I had a low sloped roof section that needed help w/ snow removal. I make a snow brush using a piece of 1/2" thk. plywood X 36" wide X 12" high on a 12 ft. long pole. That was fit for purpose. I might do the same/similar w/an array but put a piece of carpet on one edges attached w/ some velcro.

Bruce and others have offered comment/devices in the past.

Leave a comment:

• bob-n
    replied
    My roof is 20 degrees, and snow never stays on the panels. Once there is 2" or more, it falls naturally by its own weight. At 15 degrees, it will still slide off on its own, but might take a little longer.

Make sure that the panels go right to the bottom edge of the roof. If you put the panels higher, that allows snow to build on the roof below the panels and could prevent smooth slide-off. Also warn people not to park (or stand) under the roof edge during a snow storm. When the snow does decide to slide off, you will get a mini avalanche.

There are some soft brushes made for clearing snow from panels, but most people don't bother. The sun is at a low angle in winter, so even if 1" of snow stays, there's not much energy to be gained. Never use anything hard (rigid plastic, metal, etc.) to scrape snow off the panels. Even though the glass is tough, it is possible to scratch or fracture it.

This might be a situation where microinverters are beneficial, because some parts of some panels will get shaded by snow that doesn't want to move. I see that on the edges of my panels in winter.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    The deck is like you mentioned a change in elevation, and is about 10ft away from the back of the array. Snow removal would be a bit of a challenge. However, to be honestly, the past 5 years, we haven't got a lot of snow. I think the best thing would be to get on the low side and hit it with a long snow/roof rake, not perfect, but better than nothing. I am also hoping that the 15 degree angle will help the snow slide off a little. We are in south central Indiana.. .about as far south as Cincinnati, Oh.

Any suggestions how other people do mild to moderate snow removal?

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    That is a good question. Access to most of the array is open from below. My deck is on the 1st floor, but because it is over a walk-out basement, the deck is above the back of the array. That won't provide great access to the entire array, but would provide a good look at the top of the array.
    "the deck is above the back of the array". Does that mean the deck is (partially) shading the array or simply that the deck is at a higher elevation than the array ?

Cleaning ? Reads like you might be at least able to hose the array down.
    Snow removal ?

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    That is a good question. Access to most of the array is open from below. My deck is on the 1st floor, but because it is over a walk-out basement, the deck is above the back of the array. That won't provide great access to the entire array, but would provide a good look at the top of the array.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    1) Building permit is obtained for " 80' x 26' self supporting solar structure with patio underneath"
    2) Our yard has an approximate 5 degree slope to the south. As a result, we will be leveling about 2/5's of an acre, and will require a retaining wall for part of it, as by leveling the ground it will create about 6 foot change is elevation. We have an elevated deck off the first floor, which is about 10ft above the ground because of the slope, and we want to keep the solar panels below the deck. By doing the leveling and excavation it will allow that. That work will begin beginning of November.
    4) Next week, I'll be meeting with the electricians to firm up spec's so that the conduit can be installed between the array and the house.

With the climate in south central Indiana, our hope is to get the excavation work done, conduit in place, footers, and concrete pad poured before winter sets in. That is going to be pushing it. If we get the concrete done before winter that would be ideal, so when the spring rains hit, we are not digging in the ground.
    Thank you.

Most peddlers don't mention it, and most owners don't know or think about it, but what design considerations have you made for having access to the array for such things as inspection, maintenance, cleaning and snow removal ?

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Not at all. Our HoA is really just our developer. As a result, what she cares about is that it makes it easier for her to sell her remaining lots. The owners should have taken over the HoA by now, but they have no desire to.
    What a different world. I am out of touch with California real estate regulations but it used to be that sales of PUDs, Condos or the like could not close until at least 50% of the homes were sold. The theory was the Department of Real Estate did not want the developers controlling the HOA. It may be different now.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    Not at all. Our HoA is really just our developer. As a result, what she cares about is that it makes it easier for her to sell her remaining lots. The owners should have taken over the HoA by now, but they have no desire to.

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Were they specific about the materials?

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    The overall plan that was approved including landscaping and a patio. The fence already exists today. The focus was on the pergola/patio and not the solar aspect. One of those span's (left to right) will actually be enclosed, and form a garage/storage area, which is also where the inverters will go. If I had the option of a traditional ground mount, that would have been the cheaper, easier, simpler option. Since we were considering doing a nice patio area as well , then this can make sense, and pulls both idea together. I don't recommend this, if another option was available. In our case, the way the language is written for the C&CR's, once the structure is approved, you can add solar as long as it is integrated to the architecture design.
    solar-rending.jpgforum-overview.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    I am interested to hear what design the HOA approved for the project @heimdm is planning.

Perhaps the moderators could move the above irrelevant posts to their own thread so i can respond without hijacking the OPs thread.

Last edited by Ampster; 09-18-2020, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I have repeatedly offered to correct any incorrect information that I have posted. I have heard nothing from you about advice that is incorrect.
    Don't worry, I spend more time on other forums talking about the LFP cells from China and the latest Tesla battery chemistry. There is not much interest in those topics here.

As long as you're responding to SK's post (who you seem to want to call sun flake every now and again for some reason), IMO it's not that your information is always incorrect, although some of it is. It's more that a lot of it is bad, incomplete and/or can lead to problems you're too technically ignorant to understand.

A lot of technical information is usually mostly right or mostly wrong. Opinion is a lot less dichotomous with less right/wrong.

You're long on opinion and short on accurate information when your short on the technical aspects of what you post about.

A lot of your postings about technical matters are, IMO only, little more than hearsay and/or opinion so ill informed and simplistic that it causes problems and would be an embarrassment to you if you knew more.

You, this forum and all reading it would be better off if you simply stuck to what you actually know and can factually back up and verify.

When I'm ignorant about something, I usually keep my mouth and typing fingers still. I've found I cause fewer problems for others that way. It also seems the respectful thing to do.
    Also, if people suspect I'm an arrogant ignoramus about something and I am, seems to make more sense for me to keep quiet about it than confirm my shortcomings to others in writing.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-18-2020, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X