X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heimdm
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2019

Generac Clean Energy Solution

I was talking to a local solar installer, and they brought up the Generac solution as an option above ($$$) SolarEdge's option because it makes adding batteries easier. Has anyone played or useed the Generac solution? My plan isn't to add batteries for several years, as net-metering in Indiana runs until 2032. Just curious what the groups opinion of the solution, which I believe is based on the Pika inverter.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

When you add batteries, you will need a different inverter than one that works w/o batteries. The generator just lets you use fuel to generate power, and you could charge batteries, but to get AC from batteries, you need a battery based inverter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• heimdm
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
      When you add batteries, you will need a different inverter than one that works w/o batteries. The generator just lets you use fuel to generate power, and you could charge batteries, but to get AC from batteries, you need a battery based inverter.
      Generac are the home generator people but that bought Pika and a few other companies to create their solar solution/ecosystem.
      https://www.generac.com/for-homeowne...ergy-ecosystem

Comment

• PVAndy
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by heimdm

Generac are the home generator people but that bought Pika and a few other companies to create their solar solution/ecosystem.
        https://www.generac.com/for-homeowne...ergy-ecosystem
        The Pika system has been significantly updated since Generac bought them. It uses a DC Bus system that allows both string optomized panels and batteries to be connected.

It is easy way to go solar now and add batteries later. It is also much more round trip efficient than an AC coupled system

Andy

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by PVAndy

The Pika system has been significantly updated since Generac bought them. It uses a DC Bus system that allows both string optomized panels and batteries to be connected.

It is easy way to go solar now and add batteries later. It is also much more round trip efficient than an AC coupled system

Andy
          I have been impressed with the strategic acquisitions Generac has made.
          When I first looked at the Pika system it was not cost effective compared to a Powerwall. Is the price more competitive now?
          It is interesting that they are going with a DC coupled system. The round trip efficiency is much better. I have often wondered how they were going to evolve their generator products to tap into that niche. Is it possible for a generator to be DC coupled?
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• PVAndy
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Ampster

I have been impressed with the strategic acquisitions Generac has made.
            When I first looked at the Pika system it was not cost effective compared to a Powerwall. Is the price more competitive now?
            It is interesting that they are going with a DC coupled system. The round trip efficiency is much better. I have often wondered how they were going to evolve their generator products to tap into that niche. Is it possible for a generator to be DC coupled?
            It is not possible to DC couple an AC generator.. Generac will be announcing generator integration. Note that the Generac inverter has 2 outputs, 1 for the grid and one for the backup panel. Whole house backup requires a transfer switch.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

It is not possible to DC couple an AC generator.. Generac will be announcing generator integration. Note that the Generac inverter has 2 outputs, 1 for the grid and one for the backup panel. Whole house backup requires a transfer switch.
              I understand the issue with an AC generator. I am not sure I understand the two outputs on the generator, especially the one for the grid. Perhaps that is the transfer switch that is integrated.

What I was speculating about was if their integration plans were some form of DC generator or AC generator with an inverter output that could AC couple with a GT inverter using their Pika Batteries as a buffer. It seems clear they are looking at the installed base of GT inverters as a market opportunity.

Comment

• PVAndy
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

I understand the issue with an AC generator. I am not sure I understand the two outputs on the generator, especially the one for the grid. Perhaps that is the transfer switch that is integrated.

What I was speculating about was if their integration plans were some form of DC generator or AC generator with an inverter output that could AC couple with a GT inverter using their Pika Batteries as a buffer. It seems clear they are looking at the installed base of GT inverters as a market opportunity.
                Unfortunately I can’t disclose more at this point as I am under non disclosure with Generac. I can say that Generator integration is coming soon.

Andy

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

Unfortunately I can’t disclose more at this point as I am under non disclosure with Generac. I can say that Generator integration is coming soon.

Andy
                  My compliments to Generac. While I would prefer to use batteries and solar as my alternate to the grid I realize not everyone has that luxury and I have been impressed with the positive remarks their users have made.

I look forward to hearing more about their integration as it unfolds, because as I have said there is a huge market of GT solar installations that either want backup when the grid is down or some way to hedge against continued erosion of rates. Batteries and generators each offer solutions, with their own limitations but together there are synergies.

Years ago I purchased a Neurio and am pleased that Generac continues to support it after they purchase that company.. The Neurio was the data collection device inside the Tesla Powerwall Gateway 1 and I suspected Generacs purchase was strategic in terms of the need for data collections for an intefgrated product offfering to capture some of the market for leveraging GT solar installations.
                  Last edited by Ampster; 07-19-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• heimdm
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2019

Tomorrow I find out the Solar Edge and Generac pricing. Originally, for batteries I was going to use the Tesla gateway, but I have 400amp service with 2x 200 amp disconnects so that is messy and carries its own price premium. Regarding Generac, since it doesn't do module level optimizers, how does it handle partial shading on the array?

Comment

• scrambler
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by heimdm
                      Tomorrow I find out the Solar Edge and Generac pricing. Originally, for batteries I was going to use the Tesla gateway, but I have 400amp service with 2x 200 amp disconnects so that is messy and carries its own price premium. Regarding Generac, since it doesn't do module level optimizers, how does it handle partial shading on the array?
                      I am surprised Generac (ex Pika) still cannot support Optimizers for situations with shade. That was the only drawback I saw on that configuration.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by scrambler

I am surprised Generac (ex Pika) still cannot support Optimizers for situations with shade. That was the only drawback I saw on that configuration.
                        I think the OP was confusing the Solaredge solar panel configuration with the Pika battery system. As you know you can't run a Solaredge inverter without Optimizers.
                        I am interested in the Generac/Pika configuration also. When Generac purchased Pika those batteries were way overpriced compared to the capacity of a Tesla Powerwall. According to @PVAndy they are more competive now. Certainly Tesla doesn't offer a generator backed solution and that seems to be the niche that the Generac/Pika solution can address. Presumably the Pika battery/inverter can be AC coupled to the Solaredge system.
                        Last edited by Ampster; 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• PVAndy
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

I think the OP was confusing the Solaredge solar panel configuration with the Pika battery system. As you know you can't run a Solaredge inverter without Optimizers.
                          I am interested in the Generac/Pika configuration also. When Generac purchased Pika those batteries were way overpriced compared to the capacity of a Tesla Powerwall. According to @PVAndy they are more competive now. Certainly Tesla doesn't offer a generator backed solution and that seems to be the niche that the Generac/Pika solution can address. Presumably the Pika battery/inverter can be AC coupled to the Solaredge system.
                          The Generac system uses it's own hybrid inverter and cannot be ac coupled with another inverter. It also features string level optomizers

Andy

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

The Generac system uses it's own hybrid inverter and cannot be ac coupled with another inverter. It also features string level optomizers
                            That is a big surprise that it cannot AC couple. I guess they are not targeting the installed base of GT inverters like I thought. Mauybe later. AC coupling is not easy and it took Outback 14 months before their AC coupling firmware update was ready for my Skybox.

Thanks for the clarification on the optimizers. In order to comply with Rapid Shutdown requirements everybody selling inverters for installation in the USA ultimately has to find a RSD solution as it rolls out through the various regional building departments.
                            Last edited by Ampster; 07-21-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• scrambler
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Mar 2019

Generac did add a system for rapid shutdown for the Pika system

Comment

Working...