X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgtnarc1
    • Sep 2018

PV wire question

Sorry it I had asked this question before:

Using (44) JASolar 370w panels in series and grid tied. The wire on panel is labled 12AWG - 2000V. Using 2 inverters with 4 strings and each having 410v and 10.3a. This system is an ungrounded system when using SMS 7.7-1SP-US41. Some of the strings will be extended to reach the inverters so I will have to make new connections.

Ordered a sample of 12AWG 600v PV 7 stranded wire. This wire is labeled as "PV Wire or RHW-2 or USE-2". I know that in an ungrounded system you are only allowed to use PV wire. Am I safe using the listed wire. I attached the PDF of the wires available.

ADC_600V_PV.pdf
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Sgtnarc1
    Ordered a sample of 12AWG 600v PV 7 stranded wire. This wire is labeled as "PV Wire or RHW-2 or USE-2". I know that in an ungrounded system you are only allowed to use PV wire. Am I safe using the listed wire. I attached the PDF of the wires available.
    I *think* you're asking 'Is this wire that's labeled as "PVWire or X or Y" considered to be PV wire?'
    And yes, it can be considered to be labeled as PV wire.
    It can also be considered to be USE-2, since it's also labeled for that.

Just like wire labeled THWN-2/THHN can be used under the rules for THWN-2 in one conduit and under the rules for THHN in different conduit.

Comment

• Sgtnarc1
      • Sep 2018

foo1bar,

Thanks for reply and reassurance. I thought the same but was not sure. Any thoughts on 7 stranded vs 19 stranded PV wire?

Comment

• bob-n
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2019

You ask about 7 strand vs 19 strand.

All else equal, 7 strand is cheaper and less flexible.
        19 strand is more expensive and more flexible.

The 19 strand will also require a bit more patience to make sure that you capture all strands in the crimp and don't break off a strand as you strip. 7 strand is a bit more forgiving to brute force handling.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

• Sgtnarc1
          • Sep 2018

bob-n,

There is only $0.05 difference per/ft between the two and I only need about 200'. Thanks for the info and I will be careful stripping/crimping if I get the 19 strands.

Comment

Working...